Compulsary purchase of Xmas draw tickets

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by gingerslime, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not long been in my unit and went to my first Cpls Mess meeting the other night. Main points were about Xmas Ball, costing about £60 per head, fair enough for food free bar entertainment etc, but the sting in the tail for me was being told that £50 will be added to the next mess bill for each person for the Xmas draw. Not wanting to draw unwanted flack to myself right away, but can you be forced to pay out for this? In my eyes it is enforced gambling. Any advice??

2. Well someone has to pay for the prizes that the Razzer and Mess Committee will invariably win!

3. just make sure you drink this extra £50 worth of drink at the free bar and eveyone is a winner.

4. The options are simple:

Pay

Don't go but accept you are duty Screw/Guard Commander that night.

Cpls messes are Regimental traditions - the badge may not take kindly to any flak.

If you have a religious objection to gambling then you could give it a try...

5. Commonplace and the army is not a democracy.

Can't take a joke etc..............................................

6. :? ( :lol: )

Let's get this straight. You attended a Mess meeting where all of this was decided. Presumably the decision was the result of a vote (Proposed, seconded, all those in favour, those against, carried) as per routine.

Either:

You had your chance to vote against the levy, but chose not to. You've lost your right to moan.

You voted against the levy but you were outnumbered. Tough, that's democracy in action.

The vote was taken in a previous Mess meeting and you've found out about it while the Minutes were being read. Tough, your posting was just badly timed.

No vote was taken. You need to raise questions about procedures, your Mess committee should seek advice from the RSM.

Looks at the top of the screen - NAAFI - WTF is this doing in here?

7. bin there and done that! RSM was not best pleased - nor the CO when he politely asked for my stripe back. Sorry mate, the answer is simple, you wanna be in the Mess, you gotta pay for it!

8. If he/she doesn't like it then that is where they should be drinking :lol:

Perks of the job old bean

9. bullsh!t

You got bust for not paying for a Xmas raffle? Give me a break!

Gingerslime, I dont believe you HAVE to but you may well have repurcussions such as unwated Guard commanders etc. I know you're a family man and all that but you're probably earning enough to cover it without really breaking the bank.

Go and see the Presiding member and ask him nicely if you can opt out of the draw. No reason why you can't go to the function, its just you'll be kicking your hells for an hour as the tombola spins

10. I don't mind going, but its the fact i rocked up and within the first few weeks getting here i'm being stung for over £150 payable in a few weeks at the same time as trying to BFG a car, get son's school uniform online because you can't buy it in Germany. I am a family man and live 30 minute drive from camp/mess and have wife nagging about the outgoing cost and also having to tell the little one he can't go on his school ski trip because they want the money at the same time.

The decisions were taken at previous mess meetings so it was bad timing. Reason its posted in here is I am just wanting a good whinge and moan and giggle at people taking the piss.

11. [quote="
    You voted against the levy but you were outnumbered. Tough, that's democracy in action.[/quote]

I have been to countless mess meetings in both Cpls and Sgts mess and no one ever votes against a proposal, there is just too much sh1t envolved voting against a proposition that has already been put to the RSM.

Voting just creates an imagery of democracy so that you have no way to complain about it later.

I am currently paying €20 a month for christmas function and €15 a month for the draw. This started in March and was democrattically voted on at the 1st mess meeting on return from christams leave.

12. G Slime,now you are blaming your wife and chid?.That's a very poor show.

13. I have been to countless mess meetings in both Cpls and Sgts mess and no one ever votes against a proposal, there is just too much sh1t envolved voting against a proposition that has already been put to the RSM.

Voting just creates an imagery of democracy so that you have no way to complain about it later.

I am currently paying €20 a month for christmas function and €15 a month for the draw. This started in March and was democrattically voted on at the 1st mess meeting on return from christams leave.[/quote]

Yeah, but Army democracy is so much easier than having to rig the votes. Every Mess meeting is a display of unity. ;)

14. Just prey you never get promoted mate, double that in the WO & Sgt's mess!

15. As you don't seem that opposed to actually paying, it just being a case of bad timing and mounting bills associated with posting, why not have a word with the RSM? Explain exactly what you wrote here and ask if you might be able to spread the cost of the function and draw tickets over a couple of months mess bills?