Comprehensive spending review

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by voodoo_sprout, Jul 16, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Love it or hate it, the government has announced a new spending plan, and among the other bits and pieces, apparently the largest raise in defence spending for about 20 yers. So, what do you lot think? Will this give the MoD enough to buy a decent rifle? Are we going to keep the Sea Harriers? Perhaps a pay riseOr are they just going to stick go faster stripes on the Brimtone (I do feel this is worryingly possible :( )?

2. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Calculate the rate of inflation compared to ten years ago and then look to see how much of a increase we have received.  Bl**dy politicians and the media spin, what a crock of ARRSE.   :mad:

3. Its the usual stuff - just enough to buy out the 3% efficiencies imposed by the Treasury, which by the way the MoD is the only spending department to actually bother with.

As usual bucket loads of cash to be wasted on the vote winning causes and still no reforms to ensure the money is spent properly.

I doubt the £2Bn odd increase will even cover the planned activity levels in last years STP and they were lower than required for our CP levels.  I hope there is cash in the Strategic Reserve for our (alleged) forthcoming liberation of the oppressed Iraqi people.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Actually it's not all that bad - and that's speaking as one who has seen a few of these.  We really have got more money this time.  However: never underestimate the ability of the DLO to waste money on IT systems, or the DPA to pay over the ods for rubbish (it may be late, and unuseable, but it's British!), or on the AFPRB to award pay rises far above inflation.  How about that for a topic? Service Pay (and Pensions) has increased greatly above inflation, and above Civvy pay, for the last 5 years ( and now tkes a far larger proportion of Defence Spending than it ever did).  Discuss.

5. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Maybe these supposedly huge pay rises are due to the fact that married junior soldiers and officers qualify for Working Families Tax Credit  because their pay is considered to fall below acceptable limits set by the same government that pays them!  :)

6. Maybe it seems huge because we have been under paid for so long compared to the equivalent in Civvie Street. I earn a decent wage but compare that to the hours I do, the time I spend away from home and the risk to life and limb (last one is just closing the NAFFI on a Friday night) is doesn't relate to the civvie job.

7. Pay rise above inflation?   Tosh, that only goes to Senior Officers, inspection will reveal that the rank and file generally receive at, or two decimal points above, inflation.   Then the charges for food, accom, quartering et al rise as well leaving the average serviceman with a pay rise of £3.76 per month in his pocket.
    Pensions.   The MoD is probably rubbing it's hands with glee on this one, over the next 10 years or so, the 1,000,000 standing Army that we had during and after the last war are going to slowly dwindle away meaning less dosh to pay out.   They will of course plough that cash back into the present Army to improve pay and conditions for now and the future.   On the other hand...! :eek:

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh dear, I really started one here...

To all Soldiers - life outside isn't really that bad, and you aren't treated too badly either, honestly!  I have seen many, many people leave the Army over the past few years, and very, very few get a job that pays even close to what they were earning in green.

As for the Pension - it is just not possible to buy as good a pension as the Army give (Officers only here - theirs is far superior to ORs).  Even the Police and Fire Brigade don't do as well.  Oh and finally, the MoD don't pay the Pension, or at least didn't until this year.  Pension payments for Servicemen, same as for Civil Servants, is paid 'hand-to-mouth' from this year's tax income.  All the ERNIC, pension contributions, etc., that you pay just goes to pay previous pensions.  It doesn't go to build up a fund for you.  So, no savings to plough back into anywhere, except the kind hands of G. Brown.  He can then waste it on schools, hospitals, and buying votes.