Compo sausages - circa 60s and 70s.

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Balleh, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a copy of a topic I have put into Cookery but as this is the Old ‘n Bold section I thought I would put it here also. My apologies if this has been done before and for the paucity of information but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful

There was a particular type of tinned compo sausage which I loved (back in the ‘60s and ‘70s) and I would very much like to get them commercially if possible.

Jarrod kindly pointed me in the direction of Sausages in Lard (made by Westlers) but they are not the ones I remember with such affection – they are much more salty, don’t have the same consistency and, if I recall, are not as thick.

It just occurs to me that there were rumours that some sausages were made from soya bean. If the rumours were correct, might these be the ones I am thinking of?

The cans were the standard size – not the small ones – and the sausages were so closely packed the sides in contact with other sausages were almost flat. Also, the cans contained only sausages – nothing else.

When cooked the skin trended to break but the sausage was left intact.

"cantbearsed2" has suggested they were part of the 10 man pack, but I cannot vouch for that.

2. This has been done to death

3. As I said, my apologies if it has been done before.

Suffice it to say Jarrod was kind enough to provide a suggestion which has turned out not to be what I remembered.

If anyone else has suggestions they would be very gratefully received.

4. they were in a ten man pack fried with the margarine out of a tin i can still smell them now mmmmmmm

5. Soya link?

6. Some old friends and I have scoured the world for these but to no avail - only the ones you have already mentioned.

7. Me too - I still dream about them. They had a flavour and texture unlike anything else; most people today would probably call them gopping, but I loved 'em. I hope you have some success, Balleh, and if you do can you please share it with us?

8. And if you removed the middle ones from the tin it provided an excellent artificial vagina for the chefs rumour would have it... which could just explain that difficult to reproduce taste in commercial varieties.

9. Errr ... you're not ex-ACC yourself, by any chance? 8O

10. Showing my age, but feck it.

Remember the old compo sausages well. Smothered in lard. Our cooks did all sorts with them, sweet and sour pork, pork and beans stew with golden syrup. Best done in the oven, old field type No.1 contraptions as I remember, sat in a trench with a No. 1 burner underneath. Or in the (80's) No. 4 and No.5 Petrol/Gas, Field cooksets. Roasted and soft on the inside. Feckin mingin if they were burnt.

Guards would have compo sausage and egg banjos in the small hours, lush.

They tasted like Spam ....was it Spam?
    Found this after a quick Google

Ask the Cooks

11. Most certainly not, though I must confess to having had many a time on kitchen fatigues during my wild, impetuous youth!!

:oops:

Happy days! :D

12. I doubt if they were soya links. Fourteenth Army was fed on soya links and I've never heard one good word about them. Just as I've never heard a good word about the Indian made 'V for Victory' cigarettes. Or the Japs either, if it comes to that.

I think this is one of those times when you just have to face reality and sob. They're gone for good, like starched petticoats, transport cafes and decent TV programs.

13. I will indeed let everyone know if I find them.

Your link is to Westlers. Jarrod kindly suggested I contact them and they sent me their Sausages in Lard, but not the same at all. Their sausages are more like chipolatas, not fat and chunky like the ones we are all thinking off.

14. They're not the Westlers ones - the originals were white, almost like bars of putty in the tin. Came out as flat-sided because of the way they were packed in the tin - yes, with one in the middle (the ACC of urban legend must have had small willies.....).

No idea what was in them; must have been about 5% meat, if any.

I seem to recall they were made by an obscure Scottish company. May even have been the descendant of the Maconochie Brothers Ltd of Aberdeen, who made the infamous tinned stew issued in WW1/WW2?