Compo sausages – circa ‘60s and ‘70s

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Balleh, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was a particular type of tinned compo sausage which I loved (back in the ‘60s and ‘70s) and I would very much like to get them commercially if possible.

Jarrod kindly pointed me in the direction of Sausages in Lard (made by Westlers) but they are not the ones I remember with such affection – they are far too salty, don’t have the same consistency and, if I recall, are smaller.

It just occurs to me that there were rumours that some sausages were made from soya bean. If the rumours were correct, might these be the ones I am thinking of?

My apologies if this has been done before and the paucity of information but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Do you mean the ones that came in a tin with baked beans?

3. No, absolutely not. There were only sausages in the can which was standard size - not the half sized ones.

4. OK, getting there...did they taste like Chipolata sausage's but were bigger?

5. Aah, you mean the cans in which the middle banger was frequently missing, I assume. :)

MsG

6. That's why he said, that the ones Jarrod recommended were too salty. 8O

7. Oh dear, it's so long ago!

I don't recall them tasting like chipolatas, perhaps less meaty hence my thought about soya. But they were certainly thicker.

That I really cannot remember.

8. You mean the ones that when they were fried were quite dry and smooth on the outside, and quite firm to cut?

9. That's getting near it and if I recall correctly, when cooked, the skin would break up but the meat would stay intact.

Edited to add:

In fact I think you are correct. They were smooth on the outside and because they were so closely packed the sides in contact with other sausages were almost flat.

10. The really nice ones that no-one wanted to swap for anything!
    They were just the right size to split down the middle and to fit into a slice of bread!

11. those ones came in ten man packs right up into the 90,s i remember giving some to my father in law who is german and he loved them even though he hates english sausages.

12. were they triangle ones

13. Jarrod, many thanks. I will contact them again. Also, thank you for your initial advice. Get there in the end – I hope.

I recall they were just about. The inner sides were almost flat because they were closely packed against each other and one side was curved from the shape of the tin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Are you talkin' about the ones that were handed out in the 60's cos the ones we were given on an excercise on Dartmoor were f*ckin' WW2 rations. Me and my mates fed ours to a greyhound we found on our first day out, not knowin' it was due to race the next day, I don't imagine it did too well unless it was propelled up to light speed from fartin'.

15. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

do you mean Soya links?

• Like Like x 1