Compo in the news

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Well seen that Parliament is in recess and it is the 'silly season' for journos.

Look out for more interesting, informative, useful, why-did-I-not know-this-before type articles over the next couple of months.

Today programme mentioned that pasta was being included for the first time.
So what the feck have they been putting in with the meatballs for the past few years then? 8O

The rat-packs we were issued in the Falklands in '82 were dated 1958! But they did have the BIG Rollos you can't buy now as nutty treats. :lol:

What made me chuckle was the following;

"Food also has a large part to play in morale and motivation - which is why the armed forces do their level best to ensure that wherever they are in the world, British military personnel get to tuck in to Christmas lunch with all the trimmings - including crackers - although, as crackers are classed as explosives, there's a lot of paperwork that needs to travel with them."

I bet it is CrabAir that are twitchy over the crackers.

Bring back Chicken Supreme. At least if you didn't like the sauce you could strain it off & make a chicken butty!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Beeb said:
Isotonic drinks may be considered in the future.
What about SCREEEECH ! then ?

Pound for pound it'll get more out of you than a course of Anabolic Steroids, with the added bonus of dayglo p!ss !

:lol:

Although food may seem a peripheral concern in times of active duty, defence staff emphasise that without a well fed army, navy or air force, you don't have an effective fighting force.
He fails to say anything about having equipment that works or that soldiers wont see these new rations for about 20 years, due to older varieties being phased out, cost cutting and the supplier failing to provide on time and over budget.

Or am I just bitter. :roll:

Cream of chicken patsa anyone :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oatmeal Blocks !

The sexiest biscuit known to man - especially in a cold, wet, miserable OP.

Why can't I get them in the shops ?

Oatmeal blocks crumbled in a dixie with re-hydrated powdered milk, sugar and bilberry flakes and heated and stirred until it thickens. Yum, Yum! Best field combat porridge in the world. :D

claymore said:
Oatmeal blocks crumbled in a dixie with re-hydrated powdered milk, sugar and bilberry flakes and heated and stirred until it thickens. Yum, Yum! Best field combat porridge in the world. :D
Splendid stuff indeed. Anyone else remember the old tubes of condensed milk and jam - delicious!

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Line_Grunt said:
Never understood why they got rid of the condensed milk in a tube - it was great
Great stuff - sucking on a tube of condensed milk got me through many a long walk! Not so good for the teeth though. Seemed to disappear from rat packs in late 60's.

Remember 'conny onny' well, - and that was late seventies.

What about cheese possessed? That still around?

Does anyone eat the paté? It's always the first thing into the bin when I get issued my rat pack. Closely followed by biscuits brown.

Beef stew + dumplings becomes magnificent when you add tabasco.

I have a friend who considers the paté (or simply 'paste' as he calls it) to be a great delicacy to be enjoyed with as many packets of biscuits brown he can lay his hands on.

It's nice to know that mine is going to a good home when I throw it at him in disgust.

Bring back chicken in brown sauce! As for the Pate......I love it. Smells like Kit e Kat, but is very nice on Biscuits Brown. As for Oatmeal blocks.....well Cuts you said it....the sexiest biscuit known to man. Thick wedge of cheese possessed on top of one accompanied by your pint mug of stewed tea.......just can't beat it when you were pissed wet through on Soltau.