Completely Wiping PC Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Ritch, May 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I've got an absolutely ancient PC sat upstairs in the attic. I'm wanting to get rid of it, or maybe donating it to that charity, Computers4Africa, and I want to completely wipe the hard-drive so there's no details left on it.

Now it isn't connected to the Internet, so I can't download any of the programs I see when I search for advice on Google. Is there anything I can do, just directly with the machine, to get rid of everything stored on there? Bear in mind, I'm okay with computers, but nothing technical, otherwise my head'll explode.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Try formatting the hard drive. "Format C:\\" from the "Run" command, I think. That might work.
  3. Cow

Cow LE

4. Cheers mate, will have a look now.
  5. Just donate it without a HDD in it. Then destroy your HDD at your leisure.

Formatting the disc won't actually remove the data.
  6. Speak to your IT guys. They should have erasing software and for a packet of biscuits..........
  7. Similar to already stated, ask the charity if they accept the machines without the drive as you have security concerns. If so, bin the drive.
  8. Remove the hard drive and bend the pins on the connector socket right over - anyone tries to straighten them will break them off. Snip the power pins.
  9. Take the HDD out before you dispose of the computer is the safe option; as Smudge says formatting won't truly delete everything. Bashing it with a big hammer until it's in tiny pieces is the low-tech but secure (and quite fun) option.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cow

Cow LE

Have you tried smashing a HDD? They're nails..
  11. Is that why they're called 'hard'?
  12. I returned a computer to PC World a few years ago. I thought I had wiped everything on it until my wife (Heidi) got a call from a woman who had just purchased it. All the contact details were still on there.
    What made it worse was the desktop which I created using the Paint program, "My name is Heidi and I am a mong!" didn't go down too well!!
  13. C'mon, what's the real reason you wanna wipe the hard drive? What's on there?
  14. As previously suggested, DBAN should do the trick, no problem. Download it on your current computer and burn it to a CD?
  15. Was thinking the same myself, Gary Glitter situation! :)