Complete UK Sub fleet to move to Faslane

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Seems as if the Trafalgar subs based at Plymouth are on their way N to Scotland.

Was it not so very long ago that there was a scare about Scottish Independence with Devonport being mooted as the eventual long term home of the sub fleet? Didn't take them long to change their minds....

Does that also mean that some of the refit capability will be moving N too?
  2. Well the government seems determined to destroy Devonport even through they say otherwise constantly so 'breath holding' not recommended
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It would make sense as Faslane has a submarine dry dock & the large wep storage depot in the hills.
  4. ............and Scottish voters.
  5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

But what we are doing is concentrating all our risk in one place

Does no one in the MoD/Government understand the simple principle of EGGS and BASKETS
  6. and Devonport doesnt...
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Not to the extent of Faslane I gather.
    (My brother was a submariner at Faslane for nerly his whole RN career)
  8. Tuesday

The government continues to refuse to give a definite answer on whether Britain will keep three naval bases.

"Armed forces minister Bob Ainsworth was evasive in giving a definite answer on the future of Devonport. He consistently told MPs that the Royal Navy needed all three bases. But later in the same debate he spoke of the need to create efficiency savings and to make changes.

"Of course, things will change over time. They cannot stay as they are. If we are to optimise the benefits of proper management of all our naval bases, things will inevitably change," Ainsworth said in remarks that will bring little comfort to the Plymouth.

He denied reports that the submarines at Devonport were to be moved to Faslane and the frigates to Portsmouth. There are also no plans to close Devonport in 2015 according to Ainsworth, but he refused to say if that was a permanent decision. "

Nuclear sub fleet moved to Clyde

"The Faslane naval base on the Clyde is to become home to the UK's entire nuclear-powered submarine fleet, the BBC understands.

An announcement on the future of the UK's naval submarines is expected to be made in the House of Commons later"

If, as suggested elsewhere, surface fleet goes to Portsmouth, what is left for Devonport? Plymouth economy as whole will go down the crapper
  9. The same points were being raised when Rosyth was being run down; it had the best facilities of all three dockyards and all the work went to Devonport. It doesn't matter who has the best or what the best idea is, the MOD will decide and thats it, no ifs, no buts.
  10. all three yards imo should be retained but i sense that
    "cloudbuster" post Re: 'the Scottish Vote' has hit a nail squarely.
  11. But Devonport has the capability to carry out full refits, something that doesn't exist in Faslane.

At the end of the day this has all the signs of the money following the votes, Labour have more chance of retaining seats around Faslane than they do around Plymouth I suspect.
  12. English jobs for Scottish workers..

And you all thought it would stop after Swan Hunters was closed down. The sooner we get English independence, the sooner that we can send the one eyed tyrant home.

I do trust a Tory administration will move the jobs and the subs home to where they belong, England?
  13. Exactly how many subs will be moving, though? Astute is delayed yet again due to a fire on board...
  14. My Bold

Nice trade we got there...
  15. TCM

So Scotland isn't part of the UK then?

This will not help the South West economy, a part of the UK that isn't the most prosperous.

Two cynical thoughts:

1. It will help the Treasury justify moving other ships away from Devonport - and then close it.
    2. It will be used to jutify more cuts to submarine numbers.

During the Cold War it was expected that the Soviets would use deeply laid mines on the seabed of the Firth of Clyde and surrounding areas to prevent submarines from deploying from Faslane or from the US base at Holy Loch. The threat was considered serious enough for a class of (RNR manned) minesweepers to be built specifically to deal with it. Whilst the Soviet threat is no more, it does underline the level of risk in having one submarine base. The threat from mines does remain.