• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Complaints to CBBC

I have three daughters aged 6, 5 , and 3, so CBBC and ceebeebies are a permanent background feature. The youngest was over heard saying "She's lost her hand", cue the oldest explaining that some people are different.
Children are not fazed by disabilities in my experience, if anything they are curious and just straight out ask why someone is the way they are.
The oldest two years ago ran straight up to a guy at the beach with a Prosthetic leg and asked if he was a robot? The young lad to his credit told her How (thankfully not in graphic detail) he had lost it due to accident.
I think this is more about over sensitive parents.

theiftaker said:
I think this is more about over sensitive parents.
Couldn't agree more, and the more people wrap their kids in bubble wrap the worse off we will all be.

Kids are far more likey to accept change and differences than adults, this "fear" that the parents are speaking of seems to be their own and not their kids.

Most of the reported comments on the BBC site seemed to be from parents who had not allowed their children to view the programmes in case they were affected (or more likely in case they actually had to do some positive parenting and explain why the presenter only has one arm.)
Most children take such things in their stride, so much of life is a new experience to them. It will give children the chance to see from an early age that we can be different and that we should be tolerant of difference. I find it incredible that some parents could be so cruel to this poor girl, it's not her fault she was born with only part of an arm, can you imagine if that was an ex-soldier, the outrage would be enormous and justifiably so. Her presence on the BBC should give hope to disabled servicemen and civilians alike, there is normalcy to be had and there are plenty of employers willing to employ the disabled.

Markintime said:
Most of the reported comments on the BBC site seemed to be from parents who had not allowed their children to view the programmes in case they were affected (or more likely in case they actually had to do some positive parenting and explain why the presenter only has one are.
Most children take such things in their stride, so much of life is a new experience to them. It will give children the chance to see from an early age that we can be different and that we should be tolerant of difference. I find it incredible that some parents could be so cruel to this poor girl, it's not her fault she was born with only part of an arm, can you imagine if that was an ex-soldier, the outrage would be enormous and justifiably so. Her presence on the BBC should give hope to disabled servicemen and civilians alike, there is normalcy to be had and there are plenty of employers willing to employ the disabled.
Indeed. I hope the BBC grow a pair and fight her corner.

sarge_massage_my_passage said:
;

Forget stumpy

Anyone else think Sarah Jane is fit??
Very off topic. Yes what a stunner. Little honey next door, with the ever-so shaggable bod, look.

Back on topic.
Load of PC bollox. Probably a good presenter and cute to boot. The kids will be watching CBBC again.

sarge_massage_my_passage said:
;

Forget stumpy

Anyone else think Sarah Jane is fit??
oh yes
though i'm a bigger fan of beth on five
the one on the left

re: the disabled lass on cbbc, she turns me off because she's so fucking earnest
stop trying too hard and you'll be fine
just relax a bit

Attachments

Pull-up-a-sandbag said:
I honestly cant see what the fuss is about, its not as if they are expecting her to juggle FFS.
It'd be worth the licence fee to see the PC brigades reaction if she was to whip out a selection of snap-on hand attachments ,like a set of 'scissor hands' or a plug-in paint brush for the 'Here's one we made earlier' part of the programme.

Don't see anyone objecting to different cultures on TV. People who have rightfully been suspended are back on our screens, but disabled people on TV are met with "one-armed children's TV presenter was frightening their kids".

Disability groups obviously need to work harder for disabled minorities, who might generally get a raw deal. Some people are disabled, they deserve no less tolerance and support than any other minority. Perhaps those particular parents and moaning minnies should also be prepared to face the realities and consequences of current operations in the sandpits.

To add some gravity to this News, Hazel Blears is reported today as warning against creeping political correctness, and that the (PC) pendulum has swung too far. About time too, IMHO.

As long as the PC brigade, actually a thriving industry based on profits, and the ignorant, are allowed to vent their prejudiced claptrap, the disabled will remain forever marginalised and victimised in our wonderful, weird culture.

And personally? I wouldn't touch a telly presenter with a barge pole. :D

Pull-up-a-sandbag said:
I honestly cant see what the fuss is about, its not as if they are expecting her to juggle FFS.
it wont be long before some one produces a one armed juggler !
Its the parents that have the problem, I've been approached many times by kids who ask how and why, and as thay are interested enough to ask I explain in a forthright manner.

WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
Pull-up-a-sandbag said:
it wont be long before some one produces a one armed juggler !
Its the parents that have the problem, I've been approached many times by kids who ask how and why, and as thay are interested enough to ask I explain in a forthright manner.

WW
Serious question, why are you in the chair?
Not just kids that are curious, though I am a professional nosey barsteward.

Latest Threads