Complaints Procedure Mismanagement of Career

Anyone know how and where to complain if you feel your career has been mismanaged.

Twenty years served and NO explanantion why not been promoted over Cpl.

Promise's made countless times over the years,even got LSGC (so not been a bad boy).Was short term sick for 6 months while on a posting but am not in any way downgraded.

Qualified for Sgt due to instructor posting, recruiting posting and Warrior sgt courses as well as others.

Even have a qualification that would enable me to be CSGT lol.

cheers

RCMO

you could ask for an interview with your desk officer at MCM Div.

Nope - RCMO. It's his job.

If you tried to circumvent the system, your RCMO may not be too chuffed with you (when he finds out - and he will) and you may find that any progress you may have made will rapidly disappear.

If, of course, you think that you career has been mismanaged due to the actions of the RCMO, then speak to your chain of command.

If, you think that your chain of command are responsible for mismanaging your career, then it's time to consider that your career may not have been mismanaged at all.

As I said. RCMO.

Filbert Fox said:
you could ask for an interview with your desk officer at MCM Div.
Sorry FF, but a Cpl getting an interview with a desk officer at APC?

They would be overun - and it's not as if they've got loads of time to spare as it is.

B

Biscuits_AB

Tehotherhalf said:
Anyone know how and where to complain if you feel your career has been mismanaged.

Twenty years served and NO explanantion why not been promoted over Cpl.

Promise's made countless times over the years,even got LSGC (so not been a bad boy).Was short term sick for 6 months while on a posting but am not in any way downgraded.

Qualified for Sgt due to instructor posting, recruiting posting and Warrior sgt courses as well as others.

Even have a qualification that would enable me to be CSGT lol.

cheers
20 yrs service and you're only thinking about your promotion prospects (or apparant lack of them) now? Be prepared from some uncomfortable news mate. What sort of CR's were you getting?

Surely you have the MCM Div road show, in which you can request an interview with your desk officer, my lot do the rounds a couple of times a year.

Tehotherhalf said:
Anyone else? out of battalion.
I believe that all soldiers, including those serving at E2, are covered by a RCMO. Approach your first RO or second RO and see what they can arrange.

Bonzo_Dog wrote said:
If, you think that your chain of command are responsible for mismanaging your career, then it's time to consider that your career may not have been mismanaged at all.
There is no room for mis-management but you may have to consider what BD said!

Why do you need an explanation? If they wote CR's on you and you did not redress any of them (then you were happy with them), then subsequently year on year they sent those CR's to MCM and you were boarded against your peers, then quite simply you werent as good.

If however your CR's did not get to MCM for the boards or some other cock up, then yes your career was mismanaged. In all honesty 20 years down the line sounds like sour grapes to me, you should have flagged it up by redress/career interview well before now pal.

The 20 year point does seem a bit late in the day to be honest.

You should have swallowed instead of spitting...

PoisonDwarf said:
The 20 year point does seem a bit late in the day to be honest.
Exactly. If you still haven't come off the Sgt board by your 15/16/17 year point then (if you like the poster feel you're good enough) you should be requesting career interviews all over the place, not your 20 year point when you've passed your sell by date.

Qualified to 2 ranks above or not, if your CR aint popping its head above the parapet on the board year after year, then mediocrity and the same rank is where you reside (ceiling reached??). Its dog eat dog, career management works both ways pal, maybe you should send a letter addressed to yourself for mis-managing your own career i.e. not flagging this up 5 years ago!!! :roll:

Joe brings up a good point which is the career ceiling. You might well be a quality full screw but have reached your ceiling there. Your COC may well have been trying their hardest to promote you because they believe you are worthy of more however this disagrees with what Glasgow and your promotion boards think. Alot of people are left hanging in limbo because Glasgow or their COC havent got the conkers to tell them they have reached their ceiling. If you havent competed on the promotion boards for over five years, you should have come to that conclusion without having to polish your boots for an OC's interview.

I admit I put it a bit harshly (it was late :wink: ), but sometimes the truth hurts.

Sometimes we have to just accept our lot in life and move on, no good looking around now for someone to blame........................

i know someone who is in the same predicament of being cpl now having served 19 years with cr's saying his rank should be higher. i dont agree with a lot of the comments being made here as i have personally found with the army that you can be a good soldier but if your face dont fit you dont get anywhere, i think it is a lot of the time who you know not what you know.

the process for career mismanagement cases doesnt seem to be clear and hierarche dissmiss people complaining as "pests".

the little people dont matter in the scheme of things, people are out for their own careers, and stabbing your fellow soldier in the back is common practice. Yes you get your rubbish soldiers who are deluded into thinking they could be promoted into positions of responsibility, have a look around and how many soldiers sgt and above should not be there and get you thinking as one of the comments said "they must of swallowed"

there is life beyond the army after 22 years of service.

dont be bitter, just think of the higher ranks that have to stay in the army scenario as retired soldiers cause they cant make it in real world.

Hey Greeneyes,
Knock the monster off your shoulder! As previous threads have alluded to, if an individual has got to his/her 20 year point and only then bothered because other people have been promoted further than them then they need to be looking in the mirror and taking that person to task.

Now I can appreciate where your coming from as I'm almost in the same boat, except I wasted my first 10 years with alcohol and violence (not big or clever but I'm not going to lie to you, and I know its all my fault) however I have more than turned the corner, but, my CR was top third fullscrew untill the CO knocked me down to the middle third because I'm fat and downgraded (still deployable and currntly writing this whilst on ops although I can do my job and have covered jobs for several months two ranks above me) its his thing that I should be able to run really fast.
I had a chat with my boss and after the harsh but real truth, I dont fit in with how the chief thinks people in the army should look, I've albeit reluctantly, accepted fullscrew is it!
Pretty gutted as this is my last look at the board (had 1 look got 1 look left due to time left even though I've took V-Eng) and after seeing some of the ramp and deckers (thats sneckers for you non RE bods) get it but also chuffed to see the lads who deserve it get it, it is a hard pill to swallow.
The only thing on here though that I think is a harsh statement is the "looking after your own career thing" its not easy to get your gripe across without sounding like a whinging cu*t. I tried to redress a CR from when I was attached to the medics (wrong reg no,date of birth,trade and the front ticks in the box's not matching the write up) only to be told by records that they had never recieved it.
It's not as easy as it says in the books to redress the CR and sometimes you just know that the man who has written it is going to fob you off when you go in and explain your grievances about it.
And now with JPA you only get to see his part once it has arrived at Glasgow. I dont know if the "Old boys" brigade look out for each other on the grading board as your redress is attached to the CR so they can read both and then decide if their mate and fellow Lt Col is being harsh or if some fullscrew they dont know is correct.