Complaining to HMRC

Anyone here ever done it, is it worth it, would the result be worth the hassle?

I'd gain nothing financially as I haven't lost out financially, just been royally mucked around and made to waste hours of my life, including 2 hours taken from work at their behest.

its easy to confuse the revenue... even if you are in the right if they are leaving you alone then leave them alone. All they will say is that is was not wasted time.. but required for your tax affairs.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
what's the problem? my missus is a tax inspector and I could ask. she does SME now but has done most of it.

I got a very small rebate in March, but they wanted the majority of it back because of a mistake. They didn't send me anything other than a final demand and threats of bailiffs, I rang up and queried it (no apology) and I paid up immediately online. A week later I got a further demand, plus interest, and rang up again. Again no apology, but a tacit "because the interest is below a certain level it won't be pursued if you've already paid. But then she dropped the bombshell "btw your DoB is incorrect on our records and you need to take your birth cert to a HMRC Enquiry Centre".

So, I took time off work and went along, wasn't even offered a seat, made to stand like a naughty schoolboy in front of the fat, boss-eyed, sweating headmaster, to be told that my DoB on their records matches my birth certificate. Again, no apology for wasting my time.

Anyone here ever done it, is it worth it, would the result be worth the hassle?

I'd gain nothing financially as I haven't lost out financially, just been royally mucked around and made to waste hours of my life, including 2 hours taken from work at their behest.
You've have to take a view. You have been mucked about and have wasted your time already. You are not seeking financial recompense. So I guess you are looking for an apology from a faceless governmental department.

1) You will waste more time.

2) Even if you get an apology, you can fill a bucket with computer-generated apologies from governmental departments.

Move on.

I got a very small rebate in March, but they wanted the majority of it back because of a mistake. They didn't send me anything other than a final demand and threats of bailiffs, I rang up and queried it (no apology) and I paid up immediately online. A week later I got a further demand, plus interest, and rang up again. Again no apology, but a tacit "because the interest is below a certain level it won't be pursued if you've already paid. But then she dropped the bombshell "btw your DoB is incorrect on our records and you need to take your birth cert to a HMRC Enquiry Centre".

So, I took time off work and went along, wasn't even offered a seat, made to stand like a naughty schoolboy in front of the fat, boss-eyed, sweating headmaster, to be told that my DoB on their records matches my birth certificate. Again, no apology for wasting my time.

christ !!!! what a scenario... I know a bloke who pays a lady in London £300 an hour for stuff like this.
some people are never happy.

You've have to take a view. You have been mucked about and have wasted your time already. You are not seeking financial recompense. So I guess you are looking for an apology from a faceless governmental department.

1) You will waste more time.

2) Even if you get an apology, you can fill a bucket with computer-generated apologies from governmental departments.

Move on.
I know, I know. It was worth asking, all the same, you never know.

christ !!!! what a scenario... I know a bloke who pays a lady in London £300 an hour for stuff like this.
some people are never happy.
It's not the NAAFI, mate. It was a serious question.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to work for the shower of shite.

The complaints procedure costs nothing (to begin with) and a lot of the time you will get what you want.

The process is multi-stage.

1. Ask for a review of any decision that you don't like. (The original officer won't mind - especially if they are good at their jobs, it simply shows that we can all make mistakes).

2. Appeal any decision made by the Reviewing Officer (if it doesn't go the way that you want it to).

3. Threaten to go to the Tribunal - unless their case is strong/watertight they won't want it to get that far. Actually going wil cost you money.

4. Think about getting the Ombudman involved. Again it costs nothing and is a massive wake up call to HMRC. (They have to put the details of referred cases and outcomes in their annual report - it can get quite embarrassing). The Ombudsman also publishes an annual report.

Thanks Mr Fingerz, essentially I want the woman who told me that my DoB is incorrect to know she's been rumbled in her jerking me around.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks Mr Fingerz, essentially I want the woman who told me that my DoB is incorrect to know she's been rumbled in her jerking me around.
you should have asked her to prove that you were the subject of the threatening letters then.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look tomorrow. :)

Look here, if it's appropriate: HM Revenue & Customs: HMRC delays in using information

I used it and was vey pleased with the result.

Apparently they are changing the rules that say they will write off some or all tax arrears if they have screwed up. The new version of the rules will make it far more difficult to benefit and give them far more leeway to blame you for not spotting their mistakes, putting them right, and generally doing their job for them.

There is a Whitehall lady with a nice shiny OBE - The Adjudicator's Office - who investigates complaints, or you could always try the naming and shaming route in the media.

Yes, I've got a little difficulty with HMRC. A couple of months ago they sent me a tax credit form stating that I've been overpaid by £4,000. I print out the required form (why can't you do the damn thing online?) fill it in saying that I've told them what me and the missus earn and it's not my fault they can't count then post it. A week later another form arrives, the same as the first, with the addition 'you dispute this matter' or some such bollocks and demanding payment. I then type what I hope is an idiot proof letter asking them to point out where I have failed to provide info or given incorrect info and post that. 2 weeks so far and nothing. Will have to wait and see,

Last time I complained I got this back (it's a fair few years ago):

Dear Mr. Brotherton Lad,

I am writing to you to express our thanks for your more than prompt reply to our latest communication, and also to answer some of the points you raise. I will address them, as ever, in order.

Firstly, I must take issue with your description of our last as a "begging letter". It might perhaps more properly be referred to as a "tax demand". This is how we at the Inland Revenue have always, for reasons of accuracy, traditionally referred to such documents.

Secondly, your frustration at our adding to the "endless stream of crapulent whining and panhandling vomited daily through the letterbox on to the doormat" has been noted. However, whilst I have naturally not seen the other letters to which you refer I would cautiously suggest that their being

from "pauper councils, Lombardy pirate banking houses and puissant gas-mongerers" might indicate that your decision to "file them next to the toilet in case of emergencies" is at best a little ill-advised.

In common with my own organisation, it is unlikely that the senders of these letters do see you as a "lackwit bumpkin" or, come to that, a "sodding charity".. More likely they see you as a citizen of Great Britain , with a responsibility to contribute to the upkeep of the nation as a whole.

Which brings me to my next point. Whilst there may be some spirit of truth in your assertion that the taxes you pay "go to shore up the canker-blighted, toppling folly that is the Public Services", a moment's rudimentary calculation ought to disabuse you of the notion that the government in any way expects you to "stump up for the whole damned party" yourself. The estimates you provide for the Chancellor's disbursement of the funds levied by taxation, whilst colourful, are, in fairness, a little off the mark. Less than you seem to imagine is spent on "junkets for Bunterish lickspittles" and "dancing whores" whilst far more than you have accounted for is allocated to, for example, "that box-ticking façade of a university system."

A couple of technical points arising from direct queries: 1. The reason we don't simply write "Muggins" on the envelope has to do with the vagaries of the postal system; 2. You can rest assured that "sucking the very marrow of those with nothing else to give" has never been considered as a practice because even if the Personal Allowance didn't render it irrelevant, the sheer medical logistics involved would make it financially unviable.

I trust this has helped. In the meantime, whilst I would not in any way wish to influence your decision one way or the other, I ought to point out that even if you did choose to "give the whole foul jamboree up and go and live in India " you would still owe us the money.

Please send it to us by Friday.

Sadly as I have found out today they are incapable of accepting an email complaint for 'security reasons' from me.

HMRC are, and always will be out dated and commercially pathetic when it comes to running personal tax matters. I can only hope that it will get better in some small way when Cameron is ousted and another puppet takes the throne!

fastmedic