Complaining to HMRC

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by CrashTestDummy, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Anyone here ever done it, is it worth it, would the result be worth the hassle?

    I'd gain nothing financially as I haven't lost out financially, just been royally mucked around and made to waste hours of my life, including 2 hours taken from work at their behest.
  2. You'll get nothing from the tax man, don't waste your energy.
  3. its easy to confuse the revenue... even if you are in the right if they are leaving you alone then leave them alone. All they will say is that is was not wasted time.. but required for your tax affairs.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grumblegrunt

    Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

    what's the problem? my missus is a tax inspector and I could ask. she does SME now but has done most of it.
  5. I got a very small rebate in March, but they wanted the majority of it back because of a mistake. They didn't send me anything other than a final demand and threats of bailiffs, I rang up and queried it (no apology) and I paid up immediately online. A week later I got a further demand, plus interest, and rang up again. Again no apology, but a tacit "because the interest is below a certain level it won't be pursued if you've already paid. But then she dropped the bombshell "btw your DoB is incorrect on our records and you need to take your birth cert to a HMRC Enquiry Centre".

    So, I took time off work and went along, wasn't even offered a seat, made to stand like a naughty schoolboy in front of the fat, boss-eyed, sweating headmaster, to be told that my DoB on their records matches my birth certificate. Again, no apology for wasting my time.

    • Like Like x 2
  6. You've have to take a view. You have been mucked about and have wasted your time already. You are not seeking financial recompense. So I guess you are looking for an apology from a faceless governmental department.

    1) You will waste more time.

    2) Even if you get an apology, you can fill a bucket with computer-generated apologies from governmental departments.

    Move on.
  7. christ !!!! what a scenario... I know a bloke who pays a lady in London £300 an hour for stuff like this.
    some people are never happy.
  8. I know, I know. It was worth asking, all the same, you never know.
  9. It's not the NAAFI, mate. It was a serious question.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    I used to work for the shower of shite.

    The complaints procedure costs nothing (to begin with) and a lot of the time you will get what you want.

    The process is multi-stage.

    1. Ask for a review of any decision that you don't like. (The original officer won't mind - especially if they are good at their jobs, it simply shows that we can all make mistakes).

    2. Appeal any decision made by the Reviewing Officer (if it doesn't go the way that you want it to).

    3. Threaten to go to the Tribunal - unless their case is strong/watertight they won't want it to get that far. Actually going wil cost you money.

    4. Think about getting the Ombudman involved. Again it costs nothing and is a massive wake up call to HMRC. (They have to put the details of referred cases and outcomes in their annual report - it can get quite embarrassing). The Ombudsman also publishes an annual report.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Thanks Mr Fingerz, essentially I want the woman who told me that my DoB is incorrect to know she's been rumbled in her jerking me around.
  12. sorry. your quite right. its way too hot to be buggered about by someone who will get paid the same whatever.
  13. Grumblegrunt

    Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

    you should have asked her to prove that you were the subject of the threatening letters then.
  14. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    • Like Like x 1