Competitions

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Bad CO @Good CO Having entered every competition on this site for yonks and been lucky once, it's come to my knowledge that the competitions are open to everyone on the WWW, including "Steve" from Bombay/Mumbai.
TBH, my thoughts are that these should be open to members only as a perk of being a member, I have no problems with non members perusing the site as this is what either drags them in or turns them away.
I was reasonably happy (all my whinging is just to annoy AY) in the knowledge that I was losing against fellow members, but to find out my neighbour 2 doors down the street can enter and win kind of grates, especially as he's a right cunt!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am happy to go down any route as directed by the COs. I would need to know how to keep purely to registered members. Would I be expected to check all entries to ensure they are members? Not too sure about the legality of restricting enties, but I doubt it would be a legal issue.

If we do place membership restrictions on the comps, what is to stop "Steve from Mumbai" joining just to enter? As joining is a quick and simple process all we would end up with is an extended membership list. Would there then be calls for only members using the site to take part - would that mean a minimum number of posts to become eligible?

In the past I have sent books to Australia, Canada, USA, Hong Kong, so it is good that the site is being followed at such distance.

Anyway, as I say, happy to do what is felt best.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
As I stated on the other thread, one of this month's winners hasn't even logged on since April and the other isn't a member of any of the sites. The thing that got me started on this is when I looked, where you had added @pands78, it didn't come up in blue as it would if you were a member. This should be a members only thing, there are guys who donate cash and time to this site, yet along comes pands78, the non member, and wins a prize. It should be, non member -no entry, simple as. Even @Cutaway commented on it.

I am happy to go down any route as directed by the COs. I would need to know how to keep purely to registered members. Would I be expected to check all entries to ensure they are members? Not too sure about the legality of restricting enties, but I doubt it would be a legal issue.

If we do place membership restrictions on the comps, what is to stop "Steve from Mumbai" joining just to enter? As joining is a quick and simple process all we would end up with is an extended membership list. Would there then be calls for only members using the site to take part - would that mean a minimum number of posts to become eligible?

In the past I have sent books to Australia, Canada, USA, Hong Kong, so it is good that the site is being followed at such distance.

The qualifiers should be a member for X amount of time and having posted x amount of replies , some forums only allow access to restricted parts of the forum or only allow say selling items once a certain amount of replies have been posted

Failing that make it clear who the competition is open to

Archie

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bear in mind that these competitions are funded by the publishers and are really just a bit of fun. If someone wins, great; but if not then nothing has been lost.

L

lumpy2

Personally, I'd like to see the competition entry restricted to female ex part time sappers.

Personally, I'd like to see the competition entry restricted to female ex part time sappers.
Plenty of them have been entered in competitions before though......

L

lumpy2

Back on topic, perhaps entry should be restricted to those who have been members for a certain amount of time, regardless of number of posts. I can't see anyone joining just to enter a hypothetical competition in, say, six months' time.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Just let him win, JUST ONCE, for the love of GOD just let him win.

It is Christmas soon after all.

vampireuk

On ROPS
On ROPs
There are people on forums and other websites who keep track of competitions and post them on sites so everyone else can enter.

Restrict entries to members who joined before the competition started and actually active.

Latest Threads