Competition Sig550 vs. SA80 be part of it

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by viceroy, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen,

Challenge here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/vbcms-comments/165905-article-victorinox-soldiers-knife-2.html#post3839821 (post 27) I have been challenged by putteesinmyhands and I propose a little competition (details to be defined) between the almighty SA80, operated by putteesinmyhands and myself, using a standard Sig 550 as issued to the Swiss Armed forces. I imagine it will be a 300 and/or 400 meter prone challenge (not too fussed really), either in Bisely, if we can organise these weapons to be used side by side there or it might have to be another place, suggestions welcome.

Not sure if such a thing has been done before on this site, but is anyone willing to take the bets yet?

As to the background of this: putteesinmyhands thinks that an army that has never been in any conflict knows "not much" about product developement (post 21 in the same thread). I had put it to him that this could not be true as his much loved Swiss Champ is manufactured by the same company who historically supplied most of the Swiss Army knives. I believe the ability to manufacture great kit is not necessarily directly related to ones' armed forces capabilities, a point I find is amplified beautifully by these two assault rifles, hence my comparison between the two and I am glad I was taken up on the challenge.

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Please include 10 rnds at 300m - take the fecking thing apart, lay out on your shelter half, jog to the 200m mark, jog back, put the thing back together again and another 10 rnds at 300m.

Never actually touched a SA80 myself of course but I'm trying to think of a rifle if issued I'd have to say that I would prefer a SA80 to whatever they gave me.

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I'd forgotten the cleaning after the exercise bit - I hope there is a an inspection and a sandbag for the afternoon for the loser.

4. Can we have a river crossing and 400 rounds through each first?

5. Can Joker come along to provide shit range-stew, and Cofftea?

6. Have both of you losers decided on who's drill night you're going to meet? Make sure you inform a grown-up so they can open the armoury.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Are you they taking ammo or just shouting bang? :)

8. No issue with most of the above, happy to field strip, clean, assemble etc and physical activity mixed in as well (bear in mind that I would be considered a near retiree on this forum). Though the competition is about the arms, not so much about the shooters. No issue with an audience or being shouted at, my hearing isn't too good anymore anyway. Also I won't be needing the keys to the armoury as I'd be happy to bring my own gear.

Five Alpha, are you volunteering as Umpire?

9. Now, where the hell do I start with this?

viceroy is evidently on some mind-expanding substance. From a thread, nay an article, about an arse-about-tit knife manufactured by a much respected (by me, at least) Swiss company to rifles at dawn. Somehow he has the impression that I've challenged him to a shooting competition.

So, please read the thread that viceroy linked to in his first post and identify which of us has lost it.

Relevant quotes:

(To clarify, I've only used optics once and couldn't hit a thing with them)

Since then he's been hounding my inbox, suggesting that I get hold of an SA80 and take it to Switzerland. I've tried to explain and even offered to bring the challenge back to relevance with a competition between my practical and sharpenable Swiss Champ and his back-to-front chuck-away-when-blunt Soldier's Knife.

Now, as I understand the sequence, cernunnos made a comment that viceroy couldn't understand. I suggested an explanation. From out of nowhere, viceroy asked if I'd like to compare two rifles and I replied that I would. And somehow, he has the impression that I've offered him a challenge.

His PMs to me have claimed that I think the SA80 is the best weapon on the planet. Come on, would someone who used an SLR even dream of claiming that?

Now, I'm not averse to a fun shoot to compare the weapons (as I understood the original offer was), but if it's going to be a competition with the honour of the rifles and firers at stake, then I want a decent gat and a bit of practice. SLR and 10 rounds should be enough.

10. Most Regulars my age retired 12 years ago.

11. Excellent, no handycaps needed then. And when I talk 300 or 400 meters I of course talk about iron sights. Come on, roll with it, it'll be fun!

12. ...and if someone can provide me with an SLR, can we up the range to 600m and use Fig 12s - painted orange 'cos my eyes aren't what they used to be?

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If the timing was right, I could probably arrange for an SLR and 10 rounds to be at your disposal in der Schweiz....presuming neither of you are fruit loops of course.
    It will get well stuffed by a Sig 550 though......

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well the way they train the swiss to engage beyond 600m I think it should be iron sights at 800m.

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

in der Schweiz it will inevitably be 300mtrs. They do have a military target similiar to a Fig 11.
    I can put a SUIT on it for you.