Competition – haynes workshop manual : Douglas dc3-dakota

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Auld-Yin, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Haynes have kindly offered 3 copies of this book as prizes in our latest book competition. The book is not only instructive, even to the point of explaining how to obtain your own DC3, but gives the history of the aircraft, especially as used by the RAF/Airborne Forces. I believe that it instructs you in how to change the oil filters – but not having read the book I cannot confirm that!!

The competition will run until Sunday 15[SUP]th[/SUP] October at midday. All that is required is that the entry form is completed and answered correctly.

First three winners out of the hat will get a copy of this book. It has been reviewed by Jim24 and can be found here.

As always ARRSE Book Competition rules numbers 1 and 2 will be in force; Rule 1 – Any decision by Auld Yin is final. Rule 2 – In cases of dispute. Rule 1 applies.

ARRSE would like to put a disclaimer on this competition that anyone using the book to try and start any of the Dakotas now maintained at various Airborne Museums does so on their own initiative and ARRSE can’t be held responsible for their actions!

This is the first in a series of books kindly donated by HAYNES so look out for more competitions with workshop manuals over the next few months.
  2. Entered
  3. I've flown in one of these from Biggin Hill at one of the air shows. We took off behind the Red Arrows and flew down the Thames, great plane.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

5. Good God I'd break my nails (that I haven't got) Did clean a Blenheim once though, another nice plane
  6. You only flew in ONE!!!

O dear

How sad

Never mind. :-D

Ask any 1980s vintage skydiver worth his salt, and they'll regale you with endless tales of riding and exiting this wonderful beast - leader of the pack being Florida's favourite jump-ship Mister Douglas: the one with the tinted windows, fitted carpet, and quadrophonic in-flight stereo (playing Clapton's Cocaine and Floyd's Brick in the Wall, all the way to 13000 feet . . . . )

It is more than just an aeroplane, it is form and function fused in a form of robust functional perfection that seems set to go on forever: possibly the most iconic piece of engineering ever to come out of the USA, yet curiously un-American in its simple unassuming grace and efficiency. It's almost like Apple hired Kalashnikov and asked him to design an angel . . .

Wozzat . . .

Oh, OK then . . .

I'll just shaddup and enter. . . .
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Crab Walt.

I love Haynes. They were a must-buy before I got rich and paid grease monkeys to fix my cars. But I particularly love these retro books they are doing for tanks and planes. How to change the oil filter on a DC3 is more magic than I can say without touching myself down there. And nobody wants that.
  8. I was sitting on the jump seat
  9. Did the nice pilot man put his hand on your knee and ask if you liked movies about gladiators?
  10. No he asked me what I thought of the landing and I told him it was crap
  11. Auld-Yin

I thought all the seats were jump seats except the drivers' :)
  12. The driver's seat didn't get jumped?

I thought that was the plan all along . . . . have I misunderstood this part of the thread?
  13. HHH

HHH LE

Entered, hard luck everyone !! :)
  14. Auld-Yin

BUMP - for those who did not get the Newsletter.
  15. Auld-Yin

Time enough before the start of the England v France game to get your entry in. Have a go - entry form