Competition – a magnificent disaster

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Auld-Yin, Jun 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Here is your opportunity to win one of 5 copies of this book about Operation MARKET GARDEN by David Bennett and kindly donated by Casemate Publications.

Go to the survey and fill in the entry form. Correct completion of the 3 relatively (!) simple questions will gain you entry to the winners’ draw.

The competition runs to 2 July 2011 and winners will be announced as quickly as possible after that.

Have a read at the review by AlienFTM which can be found here:

A Magnificent Disaster.jpg

A Magnificent Disaster by David Bennett​

2. HHH

HHH LE

Entered
    I think your meaning of Relative and mine are slightly different!!

3. You gotta be joking, piece of piss those questions (well, if you have the internet to hand that is) :)

4. Auld-Yin

I don't know how to break this to you - but you ain't in the winners' pool!

As I have said on many occasions RTFQ!!!

The responses so far have given about 50/50 correct/incorrect answers. Read the question, engage brain, answer!

5. Oh well, too late now and I never even used Wiki either (which is normally unreliable)

6. Auld-Yin

I am not sure if you can enter more than once, but try it. I don't mind if you have more than one shot - although I think I will only count one person per winning answer, so if you enter several times with correct answers I will count the username once only.

7. No Joy, at least I got 2 of the 5 right (I think), the last two :)

8. Its hanging when you try to enter again... maybe thats a "my end" issue. You git, Q2 is ambiguous....

9. HHH

HHH LE

Emmh who's their username now!!!:nod:

10. HHH

HHH LE

Am I, Am I, go on tell me!!

11. Auld-Yin

Maybe's aye, maybe's no.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Auld-Yin

Competition closed and the winners have been chosen by Casemate, the publishing company who put up the prizes. The winners are:

Pile (oops sorry for typo - luckily email went to right person)
    judgekid
    mogreby
    SeanFraser
    Andy_Cap

PM me your name and address and I will arrange for the books to be sent out.

The answers. Well I did warn you all to RTFQ which many obviously did not!

Q1 Who commanded the First Allied Airborne Army at the time of MARKET GARDEN. Answer Lt General Lewis H Brereton USAAF.
    Not Browning (Dep Comd) Not Eisenhower or Montgomery as many said.

Q2 What Regiment was Lt Col John Frost commissioned into. Answer Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Not Parachute Regiment, which had not been formed when Frost commissioned.

Q3 John Frost played himself in a 1946 film of the Battle of Arnhem. What was the name of the film? Answer Theirs is the Glory. Which Amazon are offering on DVD for £35!!.

Congratulation to those who took time to read and understand the question and get the answers correct. More congratulations to the lucky 5 winners named above.

13. My books arrived just now, thanks very much