Competent Crew

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by HVM_Boy, Jul 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I'm currently looking to get on a Competent Crew Course, hopefully at the JSASTC, but I'm considering doing it civilian wise.

My issue is that I may soon have a short window of opportunity to do it (ie two weeks gap at about one weeks notice).

What do you sailing types recommend? Could I get on an MoD sailing course at short notice or are they (and I presume they are) over subscribed? How do they compare with civilian run courses?

Help is appreciated....

Thanks...

HVM_Bloke

2. Sorry to admit it, but I didn't enjoy the mil sail training experience. I wanted to sail to get away from the mil, so after having had a look at JSASTC and BKYC, I did a bit of AT sailing, then went with a buddy from my unit who held a Yachtmaster Examiner ticket. He kindly stamped my logbook after a few days pulling on ropes, and tying up at pubs various.

Go civvy. The added bonus is that you'll get the opportunity to walt it up with people who haven't got a scooby about what you do for shekels.

3. If you have sailed before, are confident and are just doing it to get the ticket go civvi and do your day skipper straight away, its a bit more theory but it will save you cash and time in the long run. I agree with previous comments, the mil can take some of the fun out of it!

What part of the country are you planning on doing it?

4. Probably the wet bits, like Hull, Sheffield etc.....

5. All the courses are administered and standards set by the RYA ( Royal Yacht Assoc ). The instructor rating is the same where ever you go, so if you get on a services course then your costs are limited. The Competant Crew level is very basic and really a waste of space --since with only a very, very, very small amount of extra time you will get the Day Skipper Cert. This allows you, for instance, to rent boats abroad on holiday which Comp Crew does'nt. Civilian courses in the Med or Gib can be good value as you can get warm weather, blue skies etc whilst learning the skills - an almost holiday atmosphere. Courses in GB tend to be hard work, poor weather etc. Most local civvi adult education centres do an evening course for Day Skippers -- you need to learn navigation, chart work, lights etc prior to any practical experiance. It is a great experiance to sail, so go for it soon.

6. I have only sailed in Toppers before, so thats a 'no'. I hadn't realised the Competent Crew and Day Skipper were so close in ability. The night classes for the Day Skipper course sounds like a good idea too.

If i was going civvy I'd do it anywhere, although I'm living in Sweaty-Sock-land, so probably up here somewhere. Although I can see the benefits of doing it in the tranquil seas and glorious weather of the Mediterranean.

HVM

7. i did mine at bkyc.... very enjoyable... it was AT so i couldnt possibly answer your question. can tell you its a good laugh though

8. ....Oh, sorry. I thought this was another one of those "have a go at the RAF" threads. I'm gone.

9. Not too sure about this but if you are planning to use a small powered boat, as a tender, in Euroland then it pays to also have a Powerboat 2 certificate. Our web-footed chums can cut up rough if you don't have one

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Have a look in 'Practical Boat Owner' or Yachting Monthly. They have a section of adverts at back which give details and locations of all RYA courses. Loads in the land of the Picts.
    Day Skipper is far and away your best option, or, if you are near a sailing venue, you can look at some of the others such as Coastal, or offshore stuff.

Freedom, wind in the face and the buzz of the sea. Fabulous stuff.

Or, if you really want to experience sailing, especially cruiser sailing, stand in a cold shower and tear up £50 notes!

11. Go to JSASTC.

It is far cheaper (often by several hundred pounds - some civvy courses will charge £400 for what costs you a tenner at Gosport).
    You do not need to take leave to do - as the course counts as duty time, unlike in civvy street where you will need to give up your time.
    The instruction, although seemingly dull, is very good. You actually learn what is required to sail a large boat
    You are with like minded people.

But for all RYA courses, Day Skipper and up, you need to provide logbook proof before you can enter a course. See the RYA web for details.

My suggestion is give Elaine (the courses clerk) at JSASTC a call. They often have availability due to late cancellations.

12. Frankly most of the RYA courses aren't worth the paper they're written on. I've known complete beginners and total incompetants pass their Yacht Master's and then go out merrily thinking they know it all. I've also known exceptional skippers to be refused tickets based on bad press... the RYA is as political as the next organisation.

My advice is just go out and enjoy your sailing. Forget about the boy scout badges unless you want to do delivery/charter work where you need the pieces of paper. Racing and offshore skippers are far more interested in your enthusiasm, common sense and endurance. PM me if you want any more constructive advice.

13. Sniper Bobs answer is not the way ahead at all. He appears to be of the classic 'I'm a graduate of the School/University of Life brigade' and do not need to prove to anyone their skills if they have any that is. How very 'Old British' in his attitude, an attitude not accepted by many people nowadays who require proof, quite correctly, of skills especially when your or their lives at stake. Sniper dear boy --the improvement of the mind and body is to applauded, then measured and then improved on again. Just expecting someone to sit beside Mary and pick up the ropes is so,so dangerous and old fashioned. Bet you would'nt get a 737 to Spain without an assurance of competence on behalf of the pilot and crew so why accept sailing is any different. Welcome to the 21 st century