Competencies based application forms / interviews

How can I possibly transpose anything from a warship ops room experience into this without using Jargon/terminology?

I "zip-lipped" Redcrown down the gulf and also suggested changes that were later implemented locally wrt radar switching during an encounter...
"I communicate in clear and simple language so that I can be easily understood by others." says your bit of paper. If you insist on using jargon or terminology, you are demonstrating that you can't communicate effectively.

Cheers, that's what I was wondering- should I spin one dit per "marker" or do a "job lot one".

This all seems incredibly....bullshit! Does this method of filtering for candidates actually work, in practice??
One dit per competency. That's why you need to spend a bit of time working on each competency so that you hit all the markers and you can remember them.

It is total BS and it feels odd when you start going through your routine but that is what the organ grinders want.

You'll see the difference between preparing for 1 of these and not preparing and trying to grizz it out. It's not pleasant.

Thanks everyone!

"I communicate in clear and simple language so that I can be easily understood by others." says your bit of paper. If you insist on using jargon or terminology, you are demonstrating that you can't communicate effectively.
Noted..bit of a catch-22 really...rules out quite a lot.

Cheers, that's what I was wondering- should I spin one dit per "marker" or do a "job lot one".

This all seems incredibly....bullshit! Does this method of filtering for candidates actually work, in practice??
It is BS, sadly then it is likely to be the biggest BS spinner that gets the job.

Putting yourself through this will make you feel demeaned and likely needing a shower when you get home to make you feel clean again. I hate it but you get good at it. It will make you in into an accomplished and very polished liar, you will feel you have sold your soul at the end of it.

Aye M. Totally agree and I've been retired for around 9 years now but had a few toss off jobs in the last couple of years.
Only driving briefly.
It's as you say a great relief to leave the corporate life behind and two finger the feckers.

It shouldn't. How would you spin such a dit to a civvy family member?
I don't.
I leave dit spinning for here. In my experience- civvies are not interested in any dits, especially if they involve something they could not possibly aspire towards. A colleague got a shitty on with me the other day because I spoke in Urdu to someone on the phone. He didn't take issue directly..just a general "harrumph". He was a bit miffed I could actually do that.

Noted..bit of a catch-22 really...rules out quite a lot.
Have you trained anyone? Even if informally, you probably started by breaking the subject down into simple concepts, and basic language. Training is a good example of itself as you also appear helpful, experienced, a team-player, etc.
Edit: and you don't have to go into detail about what you were training someone in. You could just say 'I took the initiative to train a new team member to use a complex electronic control system'. That's the 'problem' defined and you can then talk about how you made the training understandable.

Ive been out of the RN ten years now. Should I shy away from using RN examples?

I would say ask the interviewers if you can use such examples, or indeed non work related examples if they fit the bill. Often they seem to be looking for recent examples (in the last 12 months) but if they have ok'd other options then they are ok, as long as they are good ones of course.

Aye M. Totally agree and I've been retired for around 9 years now but had a few toss off jobs in the last couple of years.
Only driving briefly.
It's as you say a great relief to leave the corporate life behind and two finger the feckers.
I've said for a few years now that when I leave this all behind me I won't look back not even one bit. It is a shame as I like my job but don't like those who pay me to do it.

I applied for several internal roles about 10 years ago and didn't get anywhere. Finally after a blazing row with a bloke who definitely was not going to be my next manager ("What do you mean you didn't know that I've got an economics degree. Did you read my f@#%ing application or did you reject me because I haven't got big tits?") I was advised that all competencies had to be less than two years old. And yes, it was an analyst role that went to a woman with big tits who freely admitted that she couldn't add up and was in her own words "a bit thick".

Anyway, after 16 years from tomorrow I am back on the job market, and reading this thread all that I can think is "Oh, shit!"

I applied for several internal roles about 10 years ago and didn't get anywhere. Finally after a blazing row with a bloke who definitely was not going to be my next manager ("What do you mean you didn't know that I've got an economics degree. Did you read my f@#%ing application or did you reject me because I haven't got big tits?") I was advised that all competencies had to be less than two years old. And yes, it was an analyst role that went to a woman with big tits who freely admitted that she couldn't add up and was in her own words "a bit thick".

Anyway, after 16 years from tomorrow I am back on the job market, and reading this thread all that I can think is "Oh, shit!"
Good luck, grit your teeth and pretend it isn't happening.

On the competency age question maybe some just lie and use and old one like it happened last month, that would be unethical so I don't advise that, or just stealing something you saw someone else do, again that is too unethical for me to suggest doing so.

I'm a matelot- I say things as they are. I'm not used to dealing with, or be expected to bullshit.

I guess I need to re-allign my thinking.

I currently work in a job where..to be honest...anyone could do given a chance to learn it. I do notice a visible abhorrence from 'colleagues' if anything outside their capabilities/experience is displayed or mentioned.

Pretty much as others have said STAR is your friend. One example per capabilities is all you should need to meet the requirement for an interview.
At interview the questions should also based on the same capabilities so either have different examples or expand on the ones in the application.

One thing is that a STAR example is pretty much what they are after and if you put down something that doesn't conform to that, even for one question, they can pretty much bin your application.

In reality its a game, write down stuff you have done, say helped a customer who thanked you and use that, and write it in such a way that the wording draws on the wording in the capability. In the end you can just put a bunch of different stuff you have done in a word document and when applying for jobs pick the one that best meets the capabilities and slightly rewrite.

Those boxes with provide a 500 word answer are pretty easy when you get into how the game works.

My place is expanding on capabilities but asking for a two page letter and CV no more than 4 pages, during which not only do you have to meet capabilities (8) but also show how you meet other requirements. You basically have to do training to know how to apply for jobs in your own organisation. How people externally are meant to know how to do it is beyond me.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm in the same game as you. I sat a competency interview a few years back after we been TUPE'd across and they decided that they were going to downsize the teams from 6 to 4 and include a Mon-Fri days only bod. Interview was held in front of a panel including my present site manager and the branch manager, it consisted of 10 questions, all of which were competency based. Like yourself, I could spin dits all day long. Anyhow, I seem to have failed the interview and the reason given was that " I didn't show enough competency about the site I was working at", which seeing as I'd only been there for 6 months was hardly surprising although I was getting the job done. The questions seemed to be based around customer care/service/satisfaction. I was told I had enough knowledge of the actual job but it wasn't site specific, so ended up getting made redundant for a whole 3 days when I was offered and took a position at a better site, more money and a tad more prestigious, been here for 5 years now and enjoying every minute. Good luck, mate.

Last edited:
Without being flippant, OP may want to watch a series of "The Apprentice".
From what I've seen, it demonstrates all of the interview principles described. Particularly the principle of "I".