Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by finnjim, May 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, we have had ``dole scum´´ then ``legal aid´´ threads.
    Very interesting too, so I thought I would ask a question from the people at ARRSE.
    A certain Paul Blackburn, has just been released from prison, 25 years inside, for something he has always maintained he didn't do, hence the longevity of his sentance.
    Now it comes to light, that the man was telling the truth. What form and how much should the compensation be for Mr Blackburn? What should be the punishment for those who gave false witness?, putting him away in the first place.
    25 years, a hell of a long time people, probably his best, personally, I would give him 5 million. (I don't have that kind of cash, but uncle Tony can find it)
  2. The article doesn't say he was innocent just that by todays standards his trail may have been unfair.
  3. 25,000 for every year inside plus 200,000 for pain and suffering.
  4. His life has been ruined. £100,000 for every year in prison. Then 10 years at 'her majesty's pleasure' for every policeman/retired policeman who lied under oath. All taxpayers should be ok with funding the above - except that the cost of keeping the lying policemen behind bars might be prohibitive
  5. I don't think you can really put a price on it. Five million? Why not? Enough so that he doesn't really have to worry about his future.

Thing is, if you gave the boor b@stard all that dough who'd look after him and make sure he re-adjusted to the outside? He'd be easy pickings for all sorts of wasters otherwise. That's the tragedy of the story.

As an aside, (and not casting aspersions on Mr. Blackburn) I am a not frequent, but not infrequent visitor to Her Majesty's Prisons. Everybody in there swears blind that they're innocent. Not a single guilty person in the entire System.

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Lets not forget the tossors will ask to abate 25 years food and board against any compensation he rightly deserves :roll:
  7. And I suppose you think that the lunatics should run the asylum too?
  8. I shouldn't be too quick with your largesse. This from the BBC:
    The fact that he was 15 at the time means little. Having had a small involvement in a famous case of 'wrongful imprisonment' which was almost certainly one of the most disgraceful miscarriages of justice in our history (but not for the obvious reasons), I would be keen on seeing the prosecution evidence before making any sort of judgement.
  9. The suggestion is that he was fitted up by the police who interviewed him. It has also been confirmed that what was done was not only wrong now but was also out of order when he was convicted.
    So - what about his defence then? They must have had a go at the police evidence and no corroboration of 'confession' by forensic etc. If they did. and didn't get it thrown out, then the jury at the time need to explain why they found a guilty verdict.
    Yes - dodgy police work as now reported but they gave it a run, evidence was minimal but the guy was convicted. Don't blame them for the fcuk up. The guy must have had a really hard time convicted as he was of buggery of a 9 year old boy - not the sort really liked in nick. He deserves a good level of compensation.
  10. Reminds me of a comment attributed to Frederick the Great:
  11. What on earth are you talking about?
  12. What about the life the the boy who was the victim? all the evidence at the time put this person in the frame - he was there for a reason according to the policing methods of that time (25 years ago forensics were not as good - dna sampling etc was non-existant), So you are intimating all police are liers and should be put behind bars, on your generalisation not just the ones on this case, as all that has been said is that he was interviewed aggresively. Now, based on your assumption that all evidence of that era is suspect, no police action is sound (not all suspects held their hands up giving a cheery, "It's a fair cop guv".) - Thereby my comment, a well known phrase to analagise the concept of the world gone mad
  13. What evidence is there that anyone lied under oath? Please elaborate.
  14. IF, he is innocent. at least 10 million , taken from the lying scum who put him inside. ie. the corrupt police and their superiors, and their insurers.. make the right people pay for goodness sake, not the taxpayer, but the people who conned the system at the time.
    the coppers who have retired should not be untouchable, neither should the lawyers.
    god, this seems so simple to me, why?
  15. mind you. this blair govt, seems intent on turnig this country into the new soviet union.
    give me your arguments why i am wrong, and i will shoot them all down from my perch in the big barracks.
    again, emails are welcome