Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compensation for Sonic Boom

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
We were once woken at stupid o'clock by the police helicopter hovering low somewhere nearby. After a few minutes and mightily pissed off, I rang police HQ to ask them if PC Biggles wouldn't mind hovering a bit higher and use the zoom lens on his camera a bit more. The female inspector I spoke to told me it was a well known phenomenon that helicopter noise was louder at night. I rather suspect she was taking the piss but shortly thereafter the noise Biggles was making did seem to decrease a little.
That's probably why they didn't find my stolen car. Grrr.

Pete Cozy

Swinger
I was lucky enough to be in Cyprus on a posting with my Father in 1973, when IIRC the Yom Kippur war was commencing, watching the US Mediterranean fleet assemble in Limassol Bay, and at night fishing from the angling club on Akrotiri to the tune of the pairs of Lightnings in full Air Defence mode doing emergency take off from the runway. They went supersonic in the climb.....
If any are still flying, one of the fastest climbing aircraft, I nicked some bits from one outside Rhoose airport when the aircraft museum was being turned into a car park, then with the owners permisson spent the summer holidays filling my Mums garage full of all sorts.

If any are still flying, one of the fastest climbing aircraft, I nicked some bits from one outside Rhoose airport when the aircraft museum was being turned into a car park, then with the owners permisson spent the summer holidays filling my Mums garage full of all sorts.
IIRC there is a flying one in private ownership in South Africa, he must be a wealthy man to be able to waste AVTUR in the quantities the EE LIghtning would consume! I believe it had a flight endurance time of about 30 minutes without drop tanks.

IIRC there is a flying one in private ownership in South Africa, he must be a wealthy man to be able to waste AVTUR in the quantities the EE LIghtning would consume! I believe it had a flight endurance time of about 30 minutes without drop tanks.
The last flying one crashed killing the pilot.

Got the very noisy Air Ambulance heliport in the hospital less than a mile away. Get woken most nights when it circles to land, it definitely loud at night and hard to sleep for a while after.

They can carry on as far as I'm concerned, I've only lost a bit of sleep but if they weren't there you or I could lose a wife, a son, grandkids, etc.

When local Plod had fixed wing, they published their sortie times and locations on the web, along with the reasons in generic terms. Spurious complaints dropped instantly.

CE0CFC45-CE76-40AD-8390-1095C6CBB4A3.jpeg

These guys had the original whisper mode.

Slightly off thread, but along the same lines. Early this morning at 0335hrs, a helicopter ,very low, hovering over the area, very loud, and must have woken up scores of people, it was moving about for 45 minutes, making a hell of a racket, i can only think it was plod, bloody annoying, and kept us awake for about an hour or so. I appreciate they have to catch the little toerags, but it isn't rocket science to engage silent mode, if fitted.

I can tell you didn’t spend anytime at Bessbrook Mill.

I can tell you didn’t spend anytime at Bessbrook Mill.
I have never visited Ireland, north or south, but have been to Kilburn a few times, does that count?

Spent 3 years living at the end of runway 26L heathrow, beavers lane camp. height of planes on finals about 200 feet.

endure

GCM
Got the very noisy Air Ambulance heliport in the hospital less than a mile away. Get woken most nights when it circles to land, it definitely loud at night and hard to sleep for a while after.

They can carry on as far as I'm concerned, I've only lost a bit of sleep but if they weren't there you or I could lose a wife, a son, grandkids, etc.

When local Plod had fixed wing, they published their sortie times and locations on the web, along with the reasons in generic terms. Spurious complaints dropped instantly.
Metoo. They can be as noisy as they like if they're helping people out.

I can see a claim for windows but a telly really? Where was this TV placed, why would the air pressure blow out the screen? Claim Denied cya later.

Alamo

LE
Yes those Vulcans could make the whole house shake, I still have a house near to the end of Scampton Runway, and during the '80's and early 90's we were constantly woken by QRA aircraft making a fast take off (usually in pairs). Earth Shaking is the only way to describe it!
QRA operating from Scampton in the 80s/90s? Bollox.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
QRA operating from Scampton in the 80s/90s? Bollox.
In addition, QRA never took off. They were at 15 mins, the hooter would go, Exercise Edom, the crew would climb in and start engines and go to 2 mins. Soon after, endex was called, the crew would re set the switches to 15 mins, climb out and the aircraft would be locked up and the blanks replaced. In 18 years of working on the V force, I think I can remember them taxying once. put the fear of hell into everyone.

Daz

LE
When we lived up the mountain in Cwmbran, the local Police chopper was out so often it sounded like Vietnam.
That's an unfair comparison .............................. Vietnam's far safer :)

Latest Threads