Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Compensation for Deafness due to the SLR

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=814550.html#814550

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=814507.html#814507

these were my old posts about war pensions, most claims for deafness were for bilateral sensoryneural hearing loss (noise induced) or for tinituss,

i can vaguely remember something about if issued ear defenders you might not be able to claim for deafness but that might be shite, most claims i remember for deafness were for ex forces working in a noisy enviroment ect but just claim anyway you have nothing to lose.

I Claimed in 1991 from the DSS now Veterans Agency receieved £3500 and pronounced 14% disabled , This was accepted because in the 60s 70s the ear defender issued was found to be sub-standard. I still have the ringing in the ears.

WhiteHorse said:
I was told I couldn't claim even though the hearing in my right ear(right handed) has degraded since enlistment. Where does one look for more information?

Sorry mate... AH SAY SORRY MATE...

if you are right handed then your right ear deafness has nothing to do with shooting!

If you shoot right handed, your right ear is pressed against the stock and is protected. Your left ear is not, and gets the damage (often from the bloke next to you!)

....Although in my case, my theory is that it is because the Mrs has the left hand side of the bed..

bluebell_49_echo said:
I Claimed in 1991 from the DSS now Veterans Agency receieved £3500 and pronounced 14% disabled , This was accepted because in the 60s 70s the ear defender issued was found to be sub-standard. I still have the ringing in the ears.

I can honestly say that was never given any kind of ear defenders during the time i served (78-84) and since i began my service in the RA on the guns firing charge Super as well as the SLR you would think that some form of ear protection would have come in handy..

I wonder if I can claim for the fact that I now need glasses,I am convinced that it is down to the fact that during the countless exercises on Sennelager and Soltau training area's whilst sitting huddled in my Poncho on stag waiting for the Russian shock armies to come.I was forced to repeatedly crank one off in order to keep alert

We will have non-smokers claiming for having to pick up fag butts on area cleaning has caused them to have skin cancer next. Or having to pick up empty cases on the ranges has been the cause of this unexplained condition they have. Give over for god sakes. I will have to claim for the nasty NCO's shouting at me at depot which has caused me to be a nervous wreck 21 years on. Or maybe the time when Mr IRA let off a loud bang near me without telling me first, to give me enough time to put my ear defense on.

5iron said:
We will have non-smokers claiming for having to pick up fag butts on area cleaning has caused them to have skin cancer next. Or having to pick up empty cases on the ranges has been the cause of this unexplained condition they have. Give over for god sakes. I will have to claim for the nasty NCO's shouting at me at depot which has caused me to be a nervous wreck 21 years on. Or maybe the time when Mr IRA let off a loud bang near me without telling me first, to give me enough time to put my ear defense on.

Blame Lord Mackay of Clashfern (Lord Chancellor 1987-97), under whom - and with his active encouragement - we imported this "compensation culture" from the USA, along with ambulance-chasing lawyers and all the other parasites.

Can't turn back the clock - but we may still give it a run for its money!

See (mutatis mutandis) : http://www.wussu.com/poems/amthcm.htm

Brew_Time said:
Holdfast_RE said:
I've just heard a rumour going round that compenstation for partial deafness due to the old SLR is fixed at £5k.

Anyone know anything, or is it still better to apply for a war pension when your colour service runs out? :?

Rubbish, you'll have to prove it was the SLR tho.

BT.

No he won't but he will have to prove that he is more than 19% disabled (according to THEIR rules).

I'm slightly at a loss to understand why some folk think claiming for hearing loss due to inadequate proetction is in some way not playing the game?

Perhaps it's because the Forces have been hugely overpaid for years, and wherever you go, the populace and Government of the day are 100% behind you in everything? You feel it would be taking the mickey perhaps? Abusing all that goodwill?

For heaven's sake fellas, if you have a disability through doing your job, get your claim in. Every other trade would (and do) so why miss out when you are at least as deserving as they are?

Always get the claim in is right because even though the attributabke condition may not be pensionable now it could deteriorate and you may need all the help you can get.

HE117 said:
WhiteHorse said:
I was told I couldn't claim even though the hearing in my right ear(right handed) has degraded since enlistment. Where does one look for more information?

Sorry mate... AH SAY SORRY MATE...

if you are right handed then your right ear deafness has nothing to do with shooting!

If you shoot right handed, your right ear is pressed against the stock and is protected. Your left ear is not, and gets the damage (often from the bloke next to you!)

....Although in my case, my theory is that it is because the Mrs has the left hand side of the bed..

To be fair, the worst thing I remember is my mate ( now deceased) standing next to me on my left and firing around 15-20 rounds no more than a foot from my ear, I was totally deaf in my left ear for 6 days and had ringing for at least 3 weeks after that.

5iron said:
.... Or having to pick up empty cases on the ranges has been the cause of this unexplained condition they have.......

You spoke too soon mate. Colleague of mine was asked, not terribly long ago, to give "medico-legal opinion" on the likelihood of a claimant getting lead poisoning from being forced to police brass during his four years in the service.....

mizkrissi said:
5iron said:
.... Or having to pick up empty cases on the ranges has been the cause of this unexplained condition they have.......

You spoke too soon mate. Colleague of mine was asked, not terribly long ago, to give "medico-legal opinion" on the likelihood of a claimant getting lead poisoning from being forced to police brass during his four years in the service.....
its been some time since we stopped allowing toms to collect brass in their head dress, the residue is not good for you.