Compensation for Deafness due to the SLR

I've just heard a rumour going round that compenstation for partial deafness due to the old SLR is fixed at £5k.

Anyone know anything, or is it still better to apply for a war pension when your colour service runs out? :?

I was told I couldn't claim even though the hearing in my right ear(right handed) has degraded since enlistment. Where does one look for more information?

I claimed with the help of the RBL, had a hearing test but because my hearing had only deteriated by less than 20% was uneligable for a pension or compensation. RBL is the best start they will help with everything. There is a place in Tidworth near the college.

I can't believe what I'm reading, when is it acceptable for any serviceman to claim compo against the tool of his trade, when you join the army I ought to point out you may have to use these things called "guns" that go bang!!! ffs would you rather have had one of these..........

Honestly next it will be aluminium poisoning from mess tins, hexamine fumes . What a crap world we are in when people feel it is their right to claim for everything.

Howdy,

I lost hearing whilst using lots of different bits of kit at Onion range in the Falklands in the 90's (we where encouraged to wear the little yellow ear inserts istead of Amplivox) thus effecting my future career prospects in the army. Reluctantly I left to attend University. Whilst an impoverished student, I applied for a disabilty pension. Gaining an assessment of a 14% disability and a one off payment of around £3500. I subsequently had it reassessed and was proved to be at 15% disability (meaning complete and irrecoverable loss of hearing in the left ear) and was awarded a pension payment for life. It has just increased to £27.94 a week. I have encouraged everyone I have met who has hearing loss to apply for it since, I knew two old boys who used to sit in a local of mine, one Army, one Navy (an engine room bod who had been torpedoed twice!). Both thought they where to old to apply and both felt that they had merely done their duty and it was an unfortunate side affect of this. The Navy chap sadly died before receiving his however the Army dude managed to get his with help from the British Legion. There have been a number of previous posts on here including one from an ex-military type who actually worked at the War/Disability Pensions Directorate, his advice must be read. If I find the link I will post it.

The address to write to is

Veterans Agency
Norcross
Blackool
Lancashire
FY5 3WP
0044 1 253 866043
Help@veteransagency.gsi.gov.uk
www.veteransagency.mod.uk

You would need to have documented medical evidence of loss of hearing and that it is considered to be attributable to your military service.

I also think that is something that can only be applied for when you leave the Forces. (However I am TA soldier having rejoined, now in my 9th year so you may have to check that out?)

Good Luck

PogS

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
Some cnuts would sue their mothers for compensation for them being born ugly, having ginger hair and very small willies.....
I haven't got ginger hair, but......................where do I claim?

Eh?

Nearly half past ten.

POGscribbler said:
(However I am TA soldier having rejoined, now in my 9th year so you may have to check that out?)

PogS
How come you passed the medical for the TA, how can you get paid for a medical condition that would get you binned from the Army on one hand yet be paid to be a soldier by the Army on the other.

Either you are a war pensioner OR a soldier but not both

This not a dig at you personally.

Hi
Originally I had lost hearing to a degree that limited my carreer choices in the regulars and I therefore chose to leave the army and attend university., I wasn't MD'd and didn't push for it. So as far as I know that is the only real difference.

My hearing was then considered to be within acceptable bounderies when I enrolled with the Tri-sevice regular/TA unit I am in. I provide a civilian expertise and as such being deaf in one ear is neither (excuse the pun) here nor there.
I take a full active roll within the unit (deployed on the last three Ops Macedonia 2001/Afghanistan2002/ OpTelic1-2003 and I am a unit PTI)
Beyond the occassional missunderstanding no-one would now I have hearing loss. I merely take extra care with the hearing I have left when firing or in loud situations.

Any more thoughts
PM me perhaps.

also link to unit below.

http://www.army.mod.uk/15psyops/

regards

PogS

Holdfast_RE said:
I've just heard a rumour going round that compenstation for partial deafness due to the old SLR is fixed at £5k.

Anyone know anything, or is it still better to apply for a war pension when your colour service runs out? :?
Rubbish, you'll have to prove it was the SLR tho.

BT.

Say again all after.......

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=814550.html#814550

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=814507.html#814507

these were my old posts about war pensions, most claims for deafness were for bilateral sensoryneural hearing loss (noise induced) or for tinituss,

i can vaguely remember something about if issued ear defenders you might not be able to claim for deafness but that might be shite, most claims i remember for deafness were for ex forces working in a noisy enviroment ect but just claim anyway you have nothing to lose.

I Claimed in 1991 from the DSS now Veterans Agency receieved £3500 and pronounced 14% disabled , This was accepted because in the 60s 70s the ear defender issued was found to be sub-standard. I still have the ringing in the ears.

WhiteHorse said:
I was told I couldn't claim even though the hearing in my right ear(right handed) has degraded since enlistment. Where does one look for more information?
Sorry mate... AH SAY SORRY MATE...

if you are right handed then your right ear deafness has nothing to do with shooting!

If you shoot right handed, your right ear is pressed against the stock and is protected. Your left ear is not, and gets the damage (often from the bloke next to you!)

....Although in my case, my theory is that it is because the Mrs has the left hand side of the bed..

bluebell_49_echo said:
I Claimed in 1991 from the DSS now Veterans Agency receieved £3500 and pronounced 14% disabled , This was accepted because in the 60s 70s the ear defender issued was found to be sub-standard. I still have the ringing in the ears.

I can honestly say that was never given any kind of ear defenders during the time i served (78-84) and since i began my service in the RA on the guns firing charge Super as well as the SLR you would think that some form of ear protection would have come in handy..

I wonder if I can claim for the fact that I now need glasses,I am convinced that it is down to the fact that during the countless exercises on Sennelager and Soltau training area's whilst sitting huddled in my Poncho on stag waiting for the Russian shock armies to come.I was forced to repeatedly crank one off in order to keep alert