Compensation for bullying

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Auld-Yin, Oct 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

From MOD Oracle

Bullying Costs MoD More Than £895,000 In Payouts

Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Ministry of Defence has revealed in answer to a parliamentary question that it has paid out £895,289 in compensation to 28 victims of bullying and harassment in the armed forces since 2000. It paid £516,000 to 13 victims in 2003/04 alone.

A spokesman said: "When compensation claims are received, they are considered on the basis of whether or not the MoD has a legal liability to pay compensation ... To deal with cases on any basis other than legal liability requires difficult subjective judgments to be made that would undoubtedly lead to inconsistency and unfairness."

I was shouted at by my drill sergeant in 1966 - am I entitled to compensation for this, a period of character building at IJLB which we all went through and helped turn us into reasonably good (and and many case very good) soldiers.

2. J_D

J_D LE

Bullying these days is taken out of reality. Training is much more easier to what I have heard from the older generation. Shouting "Move it lofty" will be counted as bullying soon!

3. Who are you calling 'Lofty'?

4. J_D

J_D LE

you, you fcuking spakka! What you going to do? Grass on me! 2 tins no guts!

:roll:

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

6. I think that the politically correct mongs have lost sight of what soldiers are really being trained for.
    I can see it in an international UN tribunal, "Well sir we were there as peacekeepers and they shot at me, this made me sad. The mean Sergeant siad that I couldn't take me ball and go home. They weren't this mean in training."

'kin ell.

7. J_D

J_D LE

8. Unlike your arse, which is a biggy

You fat fcuk... die in a fire

9. And with this, let the games begin!

10. Bullying was a bloody artform when i was in during the late 70's, do you reckon we need to tot up a claim ?, i know what their reply would be.... :roll:

11. It won't happen, she is too busy eating, and far too scared of MDN to comment.

12. We need to look at that figure in the broader context of public sector wastage.

For example, I read in the papers yesterday that the No.10 Cabinet Office (The West Wing for ugly people) spent over £350,000 on taxis alone last year. So, really, a few people getting beasted in the military and then suing represents remarkably good value for money in comparison.

Therefore, if the military can reduce compensation payouts to the level of public sector taxi fare expenditure then I think the general staff will be in an excellent position to tell the politicos to fcuk off. Similarly, how much did it cost to put breeze-blocks into the nose-cones of Tornados? Repair SA80s A1s that should have been machined properly in the first place? The whole fcuking Eurofighter debacle? And on and on and on...

V!

13. J_D

J_D LE

wow your intelligence shines through, learn anything else in infant school?

14. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Just to break that down £895,289 / 28 = £31,975

or, £516,000 / 13 = £39,692

OK, these are averages, and there will be those trivial cases of bullying by a SNCO of telling a subordinate to "make a brew" without saying please, that will only fetch about £20K. But FFS, looks like a cracking little earner. :x