Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, May 21, 2009.

1. Silva type - Standard baseplate model

2. Silva type, Mirror sighting type

3. Prismatic type

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was slightly surprised on joining in on a map reading lesson at my TAC this week to see that the model of Silva compass on issue is still the plain baseplate model

rather than the type with a sighting mirror.

(I know that one shown isn't in mils)

Considering how superior the mirror type is for taking a bearing on an object I'm surprised they're not on issue. Cost can't be the reason, they're the same price as near as makes no odds.

Any thoughts?
  2. Is the bottom one for women so they can apply their make-up?
  3. Harder to teach with, no roamer (just scales along the sides), no magnifying lens, bulkier, something else to break, light reflection hazard.

Just a few guesses.
  4. Other models have a lot of those features. that was just an example of the general type.

I don't see it being hard to teach. Easy really. Easier than sighting with a baseplate one.
  5. I was thinking more in terms of initial teaching - the mirror housing obscures much of the map - a bit like trying to use a prismatic without a protractor - can be done, but a pain in the bum.
  6. I sort of see what you mean for pure classroom use but not for field service. Don't think it's really an issue.