Compass recommendation

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by jockinese, Jun 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,
    Just recently got back into hill walking, Im topping up some old kit and need to buy a new compass. Any recommendations out there? I wont be doing anything major so maybe one of the Silvas would do but its been so long since I took any notice of the newer kit that I may be well out of touch (like I seem to be with everything else) All advice gladly received
  2. silva type 4/54. thats what I use.
  3. Silvas fine for hill work, no need for anything extravigant. A GPS is a handy thing to own but no substitute for a map and compass.
  4. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Kebab compass ? Always helps me get home.

What was that ? Taxi for Pob02? ohhh right . . . ..
  5. I second what B_B said (and you own thoughts)- Silva, certainly the compass of choice for me, when I was in the mob and now I'm a fat hill walking civvie. Compact, robust, reliable and does exactly what it says on the tin!
  6. Is that the one here for £51.96 ?
  7. No thats the odd silva which is also a prismatic compass you want the basic 4/54 . I have one funny thing is the more map reading lessons i go to the newer it gets :?
  8. nah thats a new un, like he said, looks fancy though dunner! with her luverly prismatic sight etc!

I'd get one, but I'd lose the ba5tard.