Compartment Syndrome

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by urstuffplz1, Jul 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi there,

    I have had about 10 months of physio etc since going sick with problems on runs and whilst tabbing. I have been told that I had compartment syndrome and there is nothing which can be done for me, leaving me with a medical review in October where I will be permanently downgraded. Will I be discharged? If so, how long is the process? And can I make a claim for the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme? The physio are saying I was born with my problem, although it has caused me a lot of pain and problems with my career since I went sick about it.

    Thank you,

  2. I have compartments syndrome, i went through the RRU chain and then on to headley court, where i was diagnosed, a year later i had the op, a year after that i am now starting my phys build up. You shouldnt be discharged as in most cases it can be fixed. That said with all the redundancies things may have changed.
  3. I haven't got anywhere near all that! I went doctors, told I had all the symptoms of compartment syndrome and referred to physio. I went to physio, lots of tests, different programs etc and they told I had compartment syndrome. I don't really want to go down the surgical route to be honest either. In October on my medical review what do I need to ask? I want to be 100% confirmed medically with it.
  4. Ok, I will be printing off and filling out the paperwork tomorrow. Is it a long process? Will I require more tests to 100% confirm this?
  5. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    It might be better for you to take this up with your CoC and MO; rather than asking a load of strangers on the interweb for advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Looking for advice Mr_Fingerz regarding this, before I take things further as I don't know all the ins/outs of this.
  7. First you will need evidence it occurred as a result of service. Then you have to prove how much it disables you , its worked out on percentage of how much of your life is affected by it. if you can lead a normal life but are in pain then how does the pain affect your day to day living, if you go about your normal daily business they tell you to do one, always appeal if youre not happy as 60 - 70% win as long as you have evidence, they are quite good at throwing a swerve ball at you in tribunals. I appealed on an injury 3 yrs after i was initially given 20% disability, had to go to tribunal and to be fair they raised it right there and then after the hearing to 30% then a few yrs later it affected me in other ways and again i went through the long slog of another claim review and got to 50%, it can take 3-5 months each time but they back pay you from the day you phoned and requested the form so dont delay.
  8. Thank you for the reply Glasshammer. Firstly, how can I prove this was caused as part of service? I never noticed it before I joined up and it only got worse over my time I have served. I can see this being hard to prove already. I will stick the claim in and hope for the best, I have nothing to lose.
  9. Where do you get your stats from ? think its 50% max
  10. Explain what are you on about 50% max?
  11. All you need to know is in the pdf provided. Appeals rate I quoted was from documentation hard copy I have from tribunal services. 100% is maximum allowance but to be honest anything over 40% is considered fairly high as this is when other benefits can be claimed when at or above. Its also tax free and prescriptions relating to claim also except from having to pay even if you are employed
  12. glasshammer, the op is most likely to be applying under AFCS not WPS.