Comparing boot polishes

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by MadBiker, May 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Question that i am sure most of you will all have the same answer too but,

Could i use punch or cherry makes of polish instead of Kiwi and get same or similar results?

Not many places local to me stock Kiwi anymore and both i an my youngest are going to be doing bulling so will need a reasonable supply.

Any help much appreciated

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

No.

3. Silly billy.

Kiwi it is.

4. For the love of God, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Don't bother with parade gloss though, higher oil content so can lose it's shine on a sunny day, normal black is much better.

5. It's threads like this that illustrate the steady decline of standards in todays Army...

6. I have for the past 20+ years used Kiwi Polish for bulling shoes and boots, the only reason for asking is because of the difficulty i am having getting it localy.

Just wondered if anyone had tried these alternate makes thats all

7. On a different note, is it me or does Kiwi these days seem to be lower quality, it just doesn't seem to work in so well anymore, what do you think?

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You've given your loc as Essex.
    Is it the one in Outer Mongolia or the other in the upper reaches of the Amazon Basin ?

9. Think outside the box. Most supermarkets now sell kiwi and parade gloss. Spar shops on camps now sell a Parade Gloss in a huge tin the size of a saucer! I've definitely seen standard size tins in Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Asda(possibly)

Shoe shops, and chain/franchise heel bars sell shit like punch and cherry to civvies who don't know any better, because it's cheap and the profit margins are high.

Punch is just slop. Might as well dip your boots in tar. Cherry is all soot, is difficult to shine and looks shit.

10. Thanks Walt, that is the sort of info i was looking for

My local asda don't sell kiwi only punch, i haven't seen kiwi in tesco's and dont go to sainsbury's

Cutaway I some time feel as though i do love in outa mongolia with all the sh*t shops around here, no more decent shoe shops or army and navy shops that used to do all the supplies we need, Oh for the old days lol

Once i start going to camps with Naffi's i will stock up from there rather than pay the stupid prices asked for locally for a little tin

11. Youre on the internet , order some kiwi?

Everything else is gash.

12. Parade gloss, with a bit of extra beeswax. Nothing else will do.