• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Compare and Contrast - Our Aussie Sister Corps Journal

How can you not like the baroque cycle? Heathen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the greenest !
For those of us who still remember, Thank You Lady Gow for pushing the Cypress Green to our Dress Committee back in the day (01 July 1977);) Much more practical and comfortable than the old Twat Hat.

Useful to know, but it still leaves them with a very useful professional publication for which we have no equivalent. That kind of makes up for AUSTINT still wearing chippy blue berets, somehow.
It may interest some that AUSTINT are due, very shortly, to adopt the cypress green beret. This is at least partly due to the recent AUSTINT Cultural Review, which highlighted a number of issues regarding the lack of culture or ethos in AUSTINT.

As a primer for those not aware, there are two immediate issues that stop any kind of a Corps culture developing in AUSTINT. The first is that until very recently all AUSTINT personnel have been transferees at the minimum rank of Cpl. The second is that all AUSTINT officers leave RMC (Sandhurst equivalent) and do a minimum of two years (and some do more) in the teeth arms as 'Regimental time.'

AUSTINT have only recently (8 years, ish) started taking recruits from civvy street. They are labelled 'ab-initios,' and the 'us and them' attitude is absolutely toxic. To be an ab-initio is to be worthless.

The result is a SNCO and junior officer cohort who still identify with their time prior to AUSTINT, and who constantly ride and deride the most junior ranks.

Interestingly, AUSTINT has a major retention issue.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
When we get to wear them of course - I am required to wear Hat KFF (officially Khaki Fur Felt but I call it Khaki F*ck Fight) or more commonly known as the Slouch Hat to work. It is an incredibly impractical form of head dress.
They do look ally though.

It may interest some that AUSTINT are due, very shortly, to adopt the cypress green beret. This is at least partly due to the recent AUSTINT Cultural Review, which highlighted a number of issues regarding the lack of culture or ethos in AUSTINT.

As a primer for those not aware, there are two immediate issues that stop any kind of a Corps culture developing in AUSTINT. The first is that until very recently all AUSTINT personnel have been transferees at the minimum rank of Cpl. The second is that all AUSTINT officers leave RMC (Sandhurst equivalent) and do a minimum of two years (and some do more) in the teeth arms as 'Regimental time.'

AUSTINT have only recently (8 years, ish) started taking recruits from civvy street. They are labelled 'ab-initios,' and the 'us and them' attitude is absolutely toxic. To be an ab-initio is to be worthless.

The result is a SNCO and junior officer cohort who still identify with their time prior to AUSTINT, and who constantly ride and deride the most junior ranks.

Interestingly, AUSTINT has a major retention issue.
Totally agree mate - I recall with amusement on my MIO course (Sgt to WO2 trade course for non-'Strayans) lots of folk going on about 'ab initios' and how cr@p the idea was and how it would never work, knowing that the INT CORPS had been taking people off the streets long before I joined it (1985) and in my experience it seemed to have worked out fine. With a few exceptions, I was never able to persuade anybody to agree with that point of view, despite the existence of a considerable body of factual evidence over a number of years to the contrary.

Most of the ab initios I came across were good news who, like most young shavers, just needed some good mentoring, which sadly was lacking from many quarters in AUSTINT.

Not in any environment where the windspeed is more than a gentle breeze.
Meanwhile, across the ditch.

Army: We've got too many hats

--
"I get really confused when I go to parades because like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what the boss is wearing," he writes.

"So the boot of the car is filled with hat boxes."

He lists them as "j hat, wide brim hat, beret, baseball cap x 4, MRH, lemon squeezer, helmet x 4, beanies x 3 and "neck warmers that could be a hat, shamaghs that could also be a hat, black ones, green ones, blue ones, desert cam, yellow ones we got them all."