Company Mobilisation help

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I've been told by my TAC that if i want to do a tour i have to provide a letter from my employer saying they don't mind....

    I've spoken to my supervisor and he say's he wants to see written confirmation that the army will pay for my replacement whilst I'm away before he approaches management then HR.

    He doesn't mind me going, just when's to know he's got support.

    I tried to send him the link to Sabre but that just blew his mind...

    Any ideas?
  2. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Bloody hell, you were jacking and selling off your kit a few months ago! You change your mind that often you must have female genes!

    There is a whole advice pack covering all aspects of mobilisation. Try your PSAO or Adj.
  3. the army will only pay for the difference between your wages and those of your replacement (if they get paid more). and that is it. it is not an easy process either.
  4. Long story Duke.... in short... did jack, handed kit in, sold everything else, went back.... sucker i guess....
  5. So who actually pays me? I thought it was a process of showing Chilwell payslips for civi AND ta and they pay you...

    So I guess the money that my work are not having to pay me can go to the new guy?

    Can I get this all in print? My PSAO might not be able to produce this.... :)
  6. the army will only pay YOUR FIRM for the difference between your wages and those of your replacement.

    you get paid by the mod for your service.
  7. Can somebody confirm this? Is this now some form of standard policy across the TA?
  8. Info may be a bit old, I stand corrected if this is all tosh, but it worked on Telic 4 like this:

    Army/MOD pay your wages at the band you are on in your TA role. If that is less than the amount that you'd be paid in your civvy job, they can pay you the equivalent up until a point, i.e. your rank will have a capped amount by which they can pay you. For example, if you are a private soldier in the TA but a consultant surgeon in civvy street on 120 grand a year, you will NOT get paid 120 grand as a private soldier. At my rank I was paid my civvy wage which was higher than my pay if I was a reg at that rank because it was below the capped rate, although I did see people getting the sh**ty end of the clerks stick, but there is a provision for a hardship allowance to be applied for, if that becomes the case. Some of my lads were paid more than they were in civvy street due to their army quals and banding etc.

    When you leave your civvy job your boss stops paying your wages. He/she will pay them to a temp whilst covering your job. It can work out very well for the employer. My boss simply divied my job list up amongst my colleagues (much to their joy) and saved himself the amount of my salary for 10 months. Bargain. Unless you are a significant earner for the company and your absence will have a toll on its income /profits etc, then there are provisions for your boss to apply for some sort of renumeration from the MOD although I gather that it is a little pitiful.

    I did hear of some people getting double pay when their civvy jobs continued to pay their wages in addition to the Army wage, something to do with personal development funding etc!! never did find out if that was the truth and if so which companies did that!

    Not sure if that has cleared the waters?

    Whatever happens make sure that Chilwell give you the right Tax code!! I still owe the tax man over a grand and a half due to a clerical error that I didn't spot.

    Good luck
  9. As far as i know it's just my brigade?
  10. Nope, it's all to do with "intelligent mobilisation" as discussed in various other threads.

    The Army got sick of drafting bods in to fill gaps, then have them complain (quite rightly too) when they returned to find that their job was no more!

    It's put in place to protect us, and our employers in the event of us going to fight the good fight.

    Your Unit's should operate a traffic light system, Red for people who won't go (students, illnesses, under-qualified etc), Amber (those that could go but haven't made their intentions clear) and Green for those who are eligible and have made it clear that they wish to go.

    I should be on the green list by now as I've offered enough BUT when my Unit approaches me, I still have to provide a letter from my employer to say that they won't contest my VOLUNTARY mobilisation. People like teachers, blue light services etc will also be put on Amber (borderline Red) due to the service they provide over here.
  11. You have to ask, why would they want you if they have to pay you the difference between your army pay and day job, and then give your employer a bung. Would this not drop you down the list?

    Has anyone had the employer comp thing happen. I have not seen it to date with my lot.
  12. Is this actually *policy* or just *practice*. Basing on experiences at my own unit and (more relevantly) mates from other units the letter-and-traffic-light system doesn't seem to be a general policy.

    Just curious to hear the consensus.
  13. This is the relevant stuff from the SaBRE site. In summary, your employer can claim back costs exceeding what they are saving by not having to pay you - up to a limit of £110/day. Can also claim various other things.

    As far as your pay is concerned, the MOD will match your civi rate of pay if it is higher than your TA one. New arrangements came in last year - so ignore anything anyone tells you based on pre-2005 experience.


    Financial assistance for employers

    An employee's mobilisation may result in additional costs to you. New Reserve Forces regulations, introduced in April 2005, provide a simple and effective scheme for claiming financial assistance to cover the costs of replacing an employee who has been mobilised. In order to claim, you must provide appropriate supporting documentary evidence.

    You can buy a full copy of The Reserve Forces (Call-out and Recall) (Financial Assistance) Regulations 2005, Statutory Instrument No. 859 of 2005 (SI 2005/859), from the Office of Public Sector Information (price £3.00) or view them at

    What you can claim for

    Additional costs - as an employer, you may claim financial assistance to cover the additional costs to you of replacing an employee who is mobilised, over and above their earnings. While the Reservist is mobilised you do not have to continue paying them, and the Ministry of Defence (MOD) will not pay you for doing so. Details of which additional costs you may claim for are included on the claim form.

    The additional costs may include, for example:
    • overtime if you use other employees to cover the work of the Reservist
    • any costs of hiring a temporary replacement that exceed the Reservist's earnings

    The maximum amount you can claim for additional costs is currently set at £110 per day, which is roughly equivalent to £40,000 a year. The MOD will pay for every day that your employee is absent by virtue of their mobilised service, and this will normally be paid monthly in arrears.

    Non-recurring costs - you may also claim for certain one-off costs that you incur in replacing your employee. These are:
    • agency fees, if you use a recruitment agency or employment agency to find a temporary replacement
    • advertising costs, if you place a recruitment advertisement by any medium to find a temporary replacement.

    There is no cap on the amount you can claim for either of these types of costs, but you must be able to support your claim with invoices or bills.

    Training - you can claim if your Reservist employee needs training when they return to work to carry out their duties properly. In order to make this claim you need to be able to demonstrate that the Reservist needs the training as a result of having been mobilised; the MOD will not pay for training that you would have carried out anyway. There is no cap on the amount you can claim for training but you will have to provide evidence of the costs, and show that the Reservist could not reach the required standard by other means, such as workplace experience.

    Pension contributions

    A Reservist who is called out is entitled to remain a member of their occupational pension scheme. Provided that the Reservist continues to pay their contributions to the scheme, the MOD will pay the employer contributions that you would have made. (Regulation 5 of SI 2005/859 says that the pension scheme administrator cannot refuse to accept the MOD payments.) This payment is made as part of an award to the Reservist - you do not need to claim for it.

    What you cannot claim for

    Reservist's salary or benefits -you are not under any obligation to pay the Reservist's salary or benefits in kind during the time that they are mobilised. If you choose to continue paying them, you cannot claim for this.

    Loss of profits, turnover or goodwill - you cannot claim for these. If you believe that the loss of them will do serious harm to your business, then you should seek exemption or deferral of mobilisation (See Exemption and Deferral).
  14. Cavalier - thanks - understand the IM view, the clarification I was looking for, is whether this COA is TA wide, or down to local unit's.

    I can see the advantage that by doing this, theoretically, there would be no appeals by employers, but surely the process which takes serving members of the TA into Operations should be consistant throughout every unit.

    My concern in relation to this, would be that the "testing the water" conversation with the employer, could again (in a number of cases) detriment the TA soldier's civi career.

    This is becoming such a fucqing mess - has the governmetnt been involved?!
  15. Cheers all.....