Company commander

I've recently read two reports about Afghanistan where the officer in command of the company is a major. Is this now the norm as I thought that formaly captains commanded companies, or is it perhaps a brevet rank?

I pray that this is a wah however

Only in the US Army, son. UK Coy Comds are Majs.

Thank you.
Is this a recentish though - ie later 20th century, as captains certainly commanded companies in the 19th century and majors several detatched companies

Not trying to mess with minds - honest - just curious to know when it changed

When the OC - Company Commander, a Major - is on leave it may be his second in command, a Captain who takes over. Due to commitments of our ever stretched army it may even be a CSM - Company Sergeant Major - who takes over

oldbaldy

LE
catramble said:
I've recently read two reports about Afghanistan where the officer in command of the company is a major. Is this now the norm as I thought that formaly captains commanded companies, or is it perhaps a brevet rank?
In WW1. How old are you?
Brevet rank? God knows how long ago that term was used!

Not THAT old.
I didn't realise brevet was that out of date - I did find a reference of it being used in 1952, so that's not so old - within my lifetime anyway

Currently being entered - extracts from the 'London Gazette' for 1953

Annual Brevets
The undermentioned Major to be Brevet Lieut.-Colonel, July 1st, 1952:
H. H. van Straubenzee, D.S.O., O.B.E. (63608)

B

Biscuits_AB

catramble said:
Caubeen...is that you?

Reading Field Marshal Templar's biography - Coy Comd as a Capt and...

'In May 1941, however, Gerald was still only a substantive major. Although he had been gazetted as as acting paid lieutenant colonel in December 1939, and as acting brigadier in November 1940 he was still being paid as a major as late as January 1941. He sent a half-humorous complaint to the War Office, regretting that unless the discrepancy was sorted out quickly the matter would become academic, for he would shortly be likely to be court-martialled for bouncing cheques! This had the desired effect. Then, in October 1941, he got his substantive promotion to colonel, with seniority from 1 July.' Quoted from Templer: Tiger of Malaya by John Cloake.

At the time he was wearing brigadier rank and was moving from a Bde Comd appointment to a COS appointment in a corps.

I suspect that as the size of the Army was reduced, company commanders became Majors. Just as in the RN you see destroyer skippers as Captains whereas as in the USN for example a destroyer is commanded by a Commander. In the US Army we used to have one Brigadier General as assistant division commander and now we have 2. Our brigades are still commanded by Colonels.

tomahawk6 said:
I suspect that as the size of the Army was reduced, company commanders became Majors. Just as in the RN you see destroyer skippers as Captains whereas as in the USN for example a destroyer is commanded by a Commander. In the US Army we used to have one Brigadier General as assistant division commander and now we have 2. Our brigades are still commanded by Colonels.
You could say its jobs for the boys (middle management looking after them selves), however I much prefered having mature Majors, rather than young Captains running companies.

M

Mr_Logic

oldbaldy said:
catramble said:
In WW1. How old are you?
Brevet rank? God knows how long ago that term was used!
Brevet rank still exists in TA Regs, para 4.091, although I don't know if it is in common usage.

The answer may be held at para 4.094, which states "There is no local rank for officers in the TA."