Companies to be banned from asking if potential employees are TA Reservists

A nice idea but as with all employment law it will only be enforced if individuals go through the hassle of bringing claims. Most can't be arsed and I expect it will be extremely difficult to adduce evidence that one was discriminated against on the grounds of being a reservist.

Well, at the job interview they will simply ask what interests you have and what you do in your spare time.

Later on the company will:

a. refuse you time off because you did not tell them about it and therefore they are not bound to do anything about it.
b. Sack you for failing to disclose information affecting your ability (in the company's opinion) to do your job.

Plus ca change!

Rodney2q

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's already hard enough already trying to "sell" the few positives of the TA to potential employers, it's just going to make even more of them run a mile if they think they'll be hit by all sorts of legal obligations for employing a stab

Great for the little guys though! I know a spark who has a few lads working for him, some are in the TA, he makes most of his wedge from out of hours call out and reactive jobs, would be a right laugh for him if all his hobbyists extended him the finger at the same time and fucked off to the 2 week band camp.

Surely the employer would spot them anyway when they rocked up to interview with cam cream behind their ears from the weekend?

Kind of kicks transferable skills into touch.

I’m not sure why any potential employer needs to know I’m a STAB?

Annual camp comes out of my holiday time, what I do on my weekends is not my employers business.
It’s a semi-serious hobby until I decide to go on tour again.

I’m not sure why any potential employer needs to know I’m a STAB?

Annual camp comes out of my holiday time, what I do on my weekends is not my employers business.
It’s a semi-serious hobby until I decide to go on tour again.
European working time directive. It's like having a part time job. If you have spent all weekend running around Stanford with only 2 hours sleep you may be a danger working your machine Monday morning.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Surely the employer would spot them anyway when they rocked up to interview with cam cream behind their ears from the weekend?
If they'd already been employed the employer would surely spot it from their demeanour.

However the interview would likely go like this.

European working time directive. It's like having a part time job. If you have spent all weekend running around Stanford with only 2 hours sleep you may be a danger working your machine Monday morning.
It doesn't stop the youngsters where my wife work from going on the piss and clubbing all night and then tipping up for work hungover and incapable...

Rodney2q

My favourite quote from the article:

"... growing concerns that firms may not willingly allow their staff to take months off work ...."

No shit Sherlock. If the genius who thought that is on the implementation team then maybe legislation is a touch further away than one might hope. New law is not a trivial matter and the Army really seem to have rolled out the Z team for this. Crack on and some bullshit Powerpoint won't cut it this time.

Besides, why do they need months off ? No ops are on the horizon, courses can be run at weekends ....

And as has been mentioned already the devil is in the detail. It could easily have the opposite effect to that intended if winning a tribunal case is beyond the pockets of your average bloke or if proving it is effectively impossible..

And as has been mentioned already the devil is in the detail. It could easily have the opposite effect to that intended if winning a tribunal case is beyond the pockets of your average bloke or if proving it is effectively impossible..
Which for the most part, it will be.

The only way this works as a deterrent to employers is if the MoD agrees to fund the TA soldier in their claim or provides the legal framework.

Otherwise, the recruitment notes are going to explain that Applicant X (non-TA) fitted the profile so much better than Applicant Y (in the TA). "But they can't ask if you're in the TA!!!" ? Oh really? I defy anyone in the TA not to wax lyrical at the question - "So what do you do at the weekend?" and we're all taught to use our TA time to explain why we're a better candidate because of all the leadership/team building/other skills that the TA gave us.

And anyone who has done time on Ops is going to have that in their CV, which sees you sifted out anyway.

P

PrinceAlbert

To be fair. If I were to interview someone that said they were in the TA, I wouldn't give them a job.

So there's no use in applying for a new job when you're in the TA because 9 out of 10 times they won't take you on because of all the hassle the employers get when they have to let you go on ex/ops for weeks or months on end. In today's economical climate, where more than ever before time is money, there is less and less support and pride from the employers who have staff that are in the TA. Long story short; if you're TA you're basically fucked and I wonder where the MoD thinks they can find the people to join the TA in the new set up where they want to have more TA than regulars.

To be fair. If I were to interview someone that said they were in the TA, I wouldn't give them a job.
Fair one, I would and have done, the trick was to make it clear early on that whatever any of them got up to, (that included a lad who did a bit of St Johns Ambulance work, and another who was an ACF instructor) they got up to it in their own time. The token TA prick that I had a number of run ins with threw a track when I gave the ACF type a day off on pay as he was prepping the kids at his detatchment for Remembrance, a worthy cause I thought but obviously not to Mr Billy Big Bollocks.