Companies to be banned from asking if potential employees are TA Reservists

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by benjaminw1, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But if you're in the RNR you can fcuk right off!

2. A nice idea but as with all employment law it will only be enforced if individuals go through the hassle of bringing claims. Most can't be arsed and I expect it will be extremely difficult to adduce evidence that one was discriminated against on the grounds of being a reservist.

3. Well, at the job interview they will simply ask what interests you have and what you do in your spare time.

Later on the company will:

a. refuse you time off because you did not tell them about it and therefore they are not bound to do anything about it.
    b. Sack you for failing to disclose information affecting your ability (in the company's opinion) to do your job.

Plus ca change!

Rodney2q

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  5. So they get a cubicle to breastfeed in?

6. It's already hard enough already trying to "sell" the few positives of the TA to potential employers, it's just going to make even more of them run a mile if they think they'll be hit by all sorts of legal obligations for employing a stab

7. Great for the little guys though! I know a spark who has a few lads working for him, some are in the TA, he makes most of his wedge from out of hours call out and reactive jobs, would be a right laugh for him if all his hobbyists extended him the finger at the same time and fucked off to the 2 week band camp.

8. Surely the employer would spot them anyway when they rocked up to interview with cam cream behind their ears from the weekend?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kind of kicks transferable skills into touch.

10. I’m not sure why any potential employer needs to know I’m a STAB?

Annual camp comes out of my holiday time, what I do on my weekends is not my employers business.
    It’s a semi-serious hobby until I decide to go on tour again.

11. European working time directive. It's like having a part time job. If you have spent all weekend running around Stanford with only 2 hours sleep you may be a danger working your machine Monday morning.

12. You've answered your own question there Trigger

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

If they'd already been employed the employer would surely spot it from their demeanour.

However the interview would likely go like this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It doesn't stop the youngsters where my wife work from going on the piss and clubbing all night and then tipping up for work hungover and incapable...

Rodney2q