Companies abandon ID card project

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Well, never could have held on to 300 pieces of data from each 60 million people without losing it anyway

    "The Financial Times has learnt that the IT services company Accenture and the defence company BAE Systems have decided not to pursue contracts linked to the biometric identity card system, with IT experts warning that some suppliers are growing increasingly frustrated with the government’s indecision"

    and

    "Leaked Home Office documents show a revised strategy in which the issuing of significant volumes of ID cards alongside a new generation of passports will begin in 2012, two years later than previously planned.

    Last night the Home Office confirmed a further leak suggesting that smaller volumes of ID cards should first be issued from 2010 onwards to young people to “assist” them in opening up their first bank accounts as well as to individuals employed in “positions of trust”, such as teachers and social workers.

    The British Bankers’ Association said that it had not been involved in any discussion on the use of ID cards by young people.

    “This has come like a bolt from the blue,” it said.

    Meanwhile, Damian Green, shadow immigration minister, said last night that the leaked documents showed that the government was engaged in an “outrageous plan” which was “staggering from shambles to shambles”.

    Mr Green said: “They are trying to introduce ID cards by stealth by making them necessary if you want to work for the government, take out a student loan or open a student bank account.

    “This is blackmail and a desperate attempt to bolster a failing policy"



    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05ec0a02-c9f5-11dc-b5dc-000077b07658.html
     
  2. The MOD dropped the idea of using ID cards as a real security tool years ago - hence downgrading the loss of MOD 90 to a slap on the wrist offence.

    The thought that HM Govt could actually implement and administer a genuinely useful ID card is just a joke. If they do move ahead with it it will cost us all a fortune and deliver sweet FA years later and just after you can buy one from some bloke down the pub for a tenner.

    For those who remember - how long did it take the counterfeiters to copy the "totally secure" holograms on CDs ? - they were on the market stalls before the real ones hit HMV.
     
  3. It's not worth getting involved in ID cards. The Tories have stated that they'll cancel the project if they get elected. If they don't, it'll degenerate into the usual government IT fiasco with those responsible all trying to blame one another. Either way, it'll be damaging to the companies that are involved.

    I think the Americans developed quite a successful smart card based ID card. It's a bit like our chip and pin credit cards and it can be used to log in to computers, get access to buildings etc. I think they're now rolling the scheme out to all government employees.

    A far cry from the hand written, cardboard ID I was issued with.
     
  4. Excellent News! If the commercial majors are abandoning this bullsh1t then it will die a death, along with the upteen millions already spunked on this illiberal fiasco
     
  5. The fact that it is Bae that are pulling out speaks volumes. They are so far in Nieu Arbeits back pocket that I am sure they have been given the nod.

    Rumour is the project is now going to be slipped to beyond next election. When Tories cancel project Liabour will scream about the money wasted by cancelling the project. It should be scrapped now, but they will keep pouring money down the drain to save face and to cause embarrassment later.
     
  6. Hopefully the Tories will give them more to scream about by launching a major series of Serious Fraud Squad investigations into all of their IT fcuk ups.

    Prison time all round!
     
  7. This isn't the good news it seems to be.

    While we could be reasonably certain that the likes of Accenture, BAe, Qinetiq or indeed any of the Big 5 would have made an utter and complete clusterfcuk of the scheme, there is now the risk that one of the smaller consultancies will come along - and do it properly.

    The incompetence of the 'Big Consultancies' has been an open secret for years, and you could be pretty sure that they would ensure the death of any major project they were entrusted with.

    A few (a very, very few) of the smaller ones are not quite so hopeless ... so let's hope they do not bid for the work. However, there's still the Government Factor, and it's quite possible that no matter how good the contractor, the mere fact of government involvement will effectively doom the enterprise - some reasons for optimism, then!