Comp bread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by pricky692004, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a new RLC chef, has anyone got a good recipe for making edible bread out of 10 man compo. Every time I try it comes out like a dough brick...
  2. You can make bread out of ten man compo?

[Totally OT] I just did a search to find out what 10 man packs contained nowadays and found this:

Whatever happened to all in stew?[/Totally OT]
  3. Sounds like you've the makings of a great Army Chef, just try forgetting about making it edible, you don't want to let your muckers down!
  4. Yep, sounds like you've reached the pinnacle of chef competency. Well done. Take yesterday off.
  5. Look at page 10 beef hot pot made with diced lamb in gravy?
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just goes to prove that the Chef's course is the hardest course in the army.
  7. That's nothing.

Pea and ham from a chicken, now that's clever!
  8. I know, all in stew, babies heads and tea that could take the enamal of your teeth...
  9. Oh why did I ask!! I knew you know, knew all along ha ha. Still not got the enthusiasm & keeness knocked out of me yet, few more years of abuse left in me.
  10. Do they need some proof readers?
  11. Booger me, bread from 10 man compo packs? What happened the Biscuits brown and the tinned sausages with the middle one missing? Now, in my day etc., etc..

The answer is dunno, but if you don't have yeast you're down to soda bread/ damper or sourdough. I'd suggest you have a google for those and try it at home first.
  12. I love the foreword from Gordon Ramsey. Judging by the photo, he managed to roast a big chicken, which I don't recall being in the pack.

Best thing I recall was the burger and beans, brought up to eating temp by sleeping on it, while still in the bag, natch.
  13. Thanks Mr Deputy, a new corner shop in the making already. I use the dried yeast in the ration pack and the strong flour but the only fat is the tinned marg, perhaps it's that. I missed the salt out on first batch, really tasted like sh*t. It's getting it to rise.
  14. This may go against the grain, you being a chef and all, but have you thought that following a recipe might be better than 'suck-it-and-see?

Oh, hang-on. I can see the flaw in my reasoning.
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That is where you are going wrong, yeast is used to get the home-brew started, not wasted on food stuffs.