Commwealth War Graves Commission Staff facing difficult choice

Perhaps in the days of yore when these particular contracts were issued, the CWGC could 'post' an individual to locations where a person his/her level was needed for whatever reason... new site to develop or manage, sudden vacancy etc.

The actual practice of 'posting' people then faded out as the job became more of maintenance than development.

Thinking aloud before I get shot down...
Just wondering whether there has been an institutional crossing of the border between perks (which should be taxed) and compensation for operationally necessary relocation.

Perhaps in the days of yore when these particular contracts were issued, the CWGC could 'post' an individual to locations where a person his/her level was needed for whatever reason... new site to develop or manage, sudden vacancy etc.

The actual practice of 'posting' people then faded out as the job became more of maintenance than development.

Thinking aloud before I get shot down...

You are probably right, the tax free and allowance rules were probably set up decades ago when there might have been a reason (and it wasnt that expensive), naturally no one is going to point that out if they are benefiting from it now.
When i was a pads brat in Germany our school teachers at a service school had officer status, so they were allowed to use the Mess and had an officer quarter, they proffed because of an old rule that teachers were above the ORs, where as nowadays (in civvie street) they arent anything specials and if BAOR started today they wouldnt get the same perks.

Put up that link then
Shan't.
It's on page one of this thread and that figure is easy to find if you bother your arrse to do some research of your own.
As it's Christmas I'll give you some help.
Google "commonwealth war graves commission pay cut"

Shan't.
It's on page one of this thread and that figure is easy to find if you bother your arrse to do some research of your own.
As it's Christmas I'll give you some help.
Google "commonwealth war graves commission pay cut"

I did do some research previously thats why I'm asking you, the Times (the one on the first page is behind a paywall). The Daily Mail isn't the most reliable source but is saying they will be getting a pay rise to 30k (but will lose their perks).

I did do some research previously thats why I'm asking you, the Times (the one on the first page is behind a paywall). The Daily Mail isn't the most reliable source but is saying they will be getting a pay rise to 30k (but will lose their perks).
Try re-reading that (Daily Mail) paragraph again. Alternatively, try a few other sources, I found a few after a couple of clicks.

Try re-reading that (Daily Mail) paragraph again. Alternatively, try a few other sources, I found a few after a couple of clicks.
You mean this bit here where they are being offered 30k?

On a local contract, a British head gardener is being offered a salary of about £30,000 - which is around £18,000 less than they are earning now. Currently, the same gardener is earning a salary of about £27,000 plus around £21,000 a year (€22,800) in overseas living allowance.

Latest Threads