Commwealth War Graves Commission Staff facing difficult choice

I can kind of see their (the Head Gardeners) point.
They will drop from a Tax free £48000 to just over £21000 (assuming they pay basic rate Tax and National Insurance).
According to the Professional Gardeners Guild Salaries and Rates Guidelines 2019
a Head Gardener should earn somewhere between £30000 - £41000 (before Tax and NI).

Awol

LE
You won't say what the rate is will you? You are outraged over something you don't know the cost off.

A local gardener will do the job for a much cheaper price. One who will work in all weather, one that will look after the war dead, etc etc.
FFS, they ARE local. I spoke to them every day for 15 years. I knew them, some were good friends and they were paid a good local wage, nothing more, nothing less.

But hey, you know SFA about it, but you’re just being contrary for the sake of it.

I can kind of see their (the Head Gardeners) point.
They will drop from a Tax free £48000 to just over £21000 (assuming they pay basic rate Tax and National Insurance).
According to the Professional Gardeners Guild Salaries and Rates Guidelines 2019
a Head Gardener should earn somewhere between £30000 - £41000 (before Tax and NI).
Where did you get the 21k figure from?

FFS, they ARE local. I spoke to them every day for 15 years. I knew them, some were good friends and they were paid a good local wage, nothing more, nothing less.

But hey, you know SFA about it, but you’re just being contrary for the sake of it.

And yet you dont know how much they earn.
You are aware that they are complaining about paying local taxes like all the other locals.

Awol

LE
If you go from any British and Commonwealth cemetery about Ypres or anywhere in France and Belgium and go up the road to Langemarck to a Solitary German cemetery, what a contrast you'll find. Langermarck cemetery is dismal, dark and Gothic, using black stone for their dungeon like buildings, the grave stones are black and laying flat, they will show 'Here lie 36,000 German dead' others are 20,000 dead etc but none less than a few thousand in each grave. In fact it looked to me what Hell might look like.
I feel that lutyens got it right with his design of our War Graves, especially when you stand there and look at the impeccably kept lawns and rows of graves. The entrance gate and small walls surrounding the cemetery, even the visitors book with it's chain designed by Lutyens, he dictated that red roses compliment the light grave stone colour. He got it completely right. I visit relatives graves there and feel that they have been well cared for and rest in perfect peace. I feel it's worth the cost.

I believe it was the French who dictated that the Germans would lay there grave stone flat and that they should be black. The gardeners at Langermarck are not German but local contractors.
There were three architects that designed all the First World War cemeteries. Lutyens was one, Herbert Baker designed Tyne Cot. They each had their own trademark walls. One used Portland Stone, one used red brick and one used flintstone walls. But I can’t remember which was which. But they did hundreds each.

The ones this thread is about are ex-pats...

Awol

LE
When you see a Military Cemetary, they always look clean and looked after, whereas Civilian grave Yards are falling to seed. CivilianCemeratries have no one to tend the Graves or the yard unless the individual with a relative is entombed. Even if the Military staff is paid to care for our deceased Comrades it shows and continues the respect and honours their service.
Keep the staff and pay them, You can take the money from the spongers and welfare frauds to pay for it. When I walk through a military cemetery, there is a feeling of gratitude and pride that their sacrifices' gave me freedom and life.
Whenever there is a CWGC grave in a British civilian cemetery, the church or whoever owns it, is paid a set fee to maintain it.

But quite often they don’t.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Welcome to the world everyone else is in.

You wouldn’t do it.

Gettin’ wet an’ all.

Yeah I only did 24 years in the army, never any bad weather in that time, for less money than some hero gardeners.

Seems very petty to me, considering the general wastage in government.

Taxpayers money should be wasted in one area because its also wasted in another?

Welcome to the site, Diane Abbott.

Awol

LE
Welcome to the site, Diane Abbott.
It’s obvious you don’t know what you’re talking about, you’ve confused, without bothering to check, the wages of the high level management, living in a foreign country with all the expenses that entails, with the local labourers who tend the gardens and cut the grass.

You’re just being argumentative for the sake of it. As usual.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells
And pretty maids all in a row
Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells

Latest Threads