Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Community Support Officers

Biscuits_AB said:
What would happen if a two PCSOs stood by and let a Constable take a kicking by a gang of youths? Would they be expected to intervene then?

No they would not. There is specific legal advice that absolves them of this responsibility and their training tells them they are not to do so. It depends on the individuals, the guys I lead would back me up, but I would be heavily criticised for relying on them to do so.

Trotsky

Cuddles said:
supermark500 said:
I know, I was just wondering why someone would want to become a PCSO instead of a PC? All they seem to do is waddle about (well, around the streets of London anyway) and when anything does happen call the police to deal with it.

That is grossly unfair. They also spend a lot of time chatting up the pretty girl on the tie-Rack franchise in Paddington Station and ignoring their radio...

Ah, sorry. I only use Euston and there is no Tie Rack there. There is a pasty shop though.

Trotsky said:
Get your facts right before you criticise, there is a tie rack at Euston.

Trotsky

D'oh! I suppose the smell of the succulent pasties over power me and I am oblivious to any ties.

Trotsky said:
The book says you are not supposed to enter the water accept as a last resort but attempt to use aids etc.

PCSO's have the get out that they are not police and have only to observe and report which they have done. Within their ROE they have taken the correct action. Blame the people who thought the concept up in the first place.

Trotsky
Written for the guidance of the wise and adherance by the foolish?
Not a case of blame the people who thought up the concept but more on how its been interpretated by the stupid pair of 'PCSOs who stood by and let a child drown because they believed they could/should according to 'the book' just report! Correct action? if that is your idea of correct action.Both 'PCSOs' should have been sacked.PCSOs waste of time/money!!!

Trotsky said:
Biscuits_AB said:
What would happen if a two PCSOs stood by and let a Constable take a kicking by a gang of youths? Would they be expected to intervene then?

No they would not. There is specific legal advice that absolves them of this responsibility and their training tells them they are not to do so. It depends on the individuals, the guys I lead would back me up, but I would be heavily criticised for relying on them to do so.

Trotsky

What a crock! I don't care what their ROE are, we all have a moral duty of care to our fellow citizens, particularly children, that we cannot abrogate.
How do people with that sort of jobsworth mentality live with themselves?

Trotsky said:
The book says you are not supposed to enter the water accept as a last resort but attempt to use aids etc.

PCSO's have the get out that they are not police and have only to observe and report which they have done. Within their ROE they have taken the correct action. Blame the people who thought the concept up in the first place.

Trotsky

And drowning isn't a "last resort" situation?

Hang on a minute - just had the mother on TV blaming the PCSO's for the death. Where was she and why did she not teach her kids not to fook around in water?
Lets blame the Police for everything - car travelling the wrong way on a motorway after being chased by the police - police service fault? The police didn't steal the car did they?

CC_TA

CC_TA said:
Hang on a minute - just had the mother on TV blaming the PCSO's for the death. Where was she and why did she not teach her kids not to fook around in water?
Lets blame the Police for everything - car travelling the wrong way on a motorway after being chased by the police - police service fault? The police didn't steal the car did they?

CC_TA

I don't know who's at fault but on a personal level I could not stand and watch a child drown, I would have done something.

It's sad that PCSO's are absolved and not permitted from doing what should be a normal human reaction to seeing a child in such dire trouble.

It just shows what a sorry state our PCSO's are. Not even able to get their feet wet without being 'trained.'

PCSO or passer by - I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't walk away from that area soaking wet and very much out of breath.

They obviously don't get any sort of briefing on the use of common sense or initiative!!??

The worrying thing in my mind is that people will expect them to take some sort of action because they are there and in uniform. If they can't actually do anything they may as well have a huge 'I am a useless git' sign stuck on their hats!!

supermark500 said:
Cuddles said:
supermark500 said:
I know, I was just wondering why someone would want to become a PCSO instead of a PC? All they seem to do is waddle about (well, around the streets of London anyway) and when anything does happen call the police to deal with it.

That is grossly unfair. They also spend a lot of time chatting up the pretty girl on the tie-Rack franchise in Paddington Station and ignoring their radio...

Ah, sorry. I only use Euston and there is no Tie Rack there. There is a pasty shop though.

Anyone seen the lad who knocks about Liverpool St? You have never seen anything like it in your life. He must be no more than 18/19, 5'10", and so skinny that even wearing what must be the smallest anti-stab vest the City have got the eppaulettes sit somewhere around his elbows! It's quite funny to watch in that "wtf???" sort of way. He struts about a bit around the entrance to the shopping area, especially when the marketing blart are standing around handing out freebies in their hot-pants, but never actually ventures out as far as the concourse. I could be entirely wrong, but I do get the impression that in a bit of grief he would be the net sum of FA use because even if he did get involved he would command no respect or authority at all, especially if he appears to lack any self-confidence beyond what posing in a traffic warden's outfit might give.

I'd rather have the Portugese Judicial police or even the Caribineri before this lot.

CC_TA said:

CC_TA

yes she has to take the resposibilty for why her children be on there own and perhaps she may or may not have told them about water safety.

But are you a parent and if you are do you know exactly where your kids are at every minute, also have we let society go so far that kids cant play out.

Are we so confident that children totaly understand the bounds of being safe 100%.

Did his sister perhaps just fall in we dont know!

We do you as it is know a matter of public record that they the two PSCO who are public servants who have taken the job of being part of the emergency services stood by and watch a kid drown.

now we dont know all the facts being as i doubt any of us were there to witness it and carry out the debrief but that facts as they stand do not put either of them in a good light as either men or public servants.

As i have said earlier water entry rescue is a last resort becuase of the dangers of making a situation worse and increasing the casualties, and if they were unable to SWIM then i would have some sympathy with their position.