Community Mobilization: UK Sikhs Show their Mettle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Andy_S, Aug 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Sikhs are mobilizing to defend their temples, shops and community. I have to say that this is an admirable effort.
    BBC News - London riots: residents cautioned over 'vigilantism'

Purely defensive op;
    Community leaders speaking clearly, rationally and with dignity;
    Nobody getting boozed up and going on the warpath.

There is a lot of criticism on this forum of "multiculturalism" but here we see an ethnic minority doing (IMHO) the right thing. I suspect that the communities of Middle England are far weaker, and far less able to mobilize in this kind of circumstance. (Though I would be happy to be proven wrong.)

Police response (on same page) is predictable drivel. I suggest the good constable would be better employed policing the capital, rather than making knee jerk comments about "vigilantism." If Plod was actually doing his job with even a minimum level of competence, community self-defense would be unnecessary.

But this is so obvious, it barely requires mention.
  2. Actually I think its's generally accepted on arrse that Sikhs are good blokes. Happy to be corrected but isn't the Kirpan worn as a symbol of their duty to come to the aid of those in trouble?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Sikhs have a solid martial heritage (there was talk some time back of raising a new Sikh regiment, IIRC) but I don't recall seeing any kirpans, tulwars or lances being presented to the RSM/Community leader.

Hockey sticks and lathis seem to be the order of the day.
  4. Sikhs are a warrior cast (not the AFV type before anyone says).

I worked as a copper in Southall. Busy as fook. Good community, but has real problems with gangs (tootey nungs and holy smokes). They're also heavily involved in the Khalistani movement Khalistan movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and raise some serious money to further that cause. It's beleived to have been responsible for the assasinations of Indira and Rajiv Ghandi.

So, despite their public appearance, they're a tough bunch, should not be underestimated and most of the younger ones treat the UK with contempt.

Appart from that, they're lovely.

If you're a copper at XS (as it was), 330 speaks. Keep safe.
  5. Sikh..... and ye shall find.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. They must think we're as weak as ****.
  7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

They must think we're as weak as ****.

Who is 'we' and who is the corresponding 'they?'

By 'we' do you mean the rioters? Or the British establishment and 'our' once-respected institutions?

If the second, well...

The Army's rep was besmirched by the Iraqis and the Taliban.
    The Navy's rep was dragged through the mud by the Iranians.
    The Plod's rep is in the process of being abused, beaten, kicked-when-its-down and de-bagged by our homegrown chavs.

Thank God our nation can still boast a great football, no....we have fine universities which everyone can afford to attend....hmmm, perhaps not...well, then there is our free and uncorrupt, hang on...of course, our political institutions and those who man them remain above reproach...hmmm...crivens....well, we still have the great British sense of humour!

Which is just as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Good on any community taking on the terrorist(for this is what they are and should be treated by the courts on this basis) chav scum and hopefully other communities will as well.
  9. Generally we are.
  10. Nope we're a pack animal, we just keep our heads down 'till someone spouts off then as a group we get all cocky.
  11. You mean going out dancing on a Saturday night, or three of them laying in to some scrote using baseball bats?
  12. Let me just reiterate for the benefit if the thick.

They= the subject of the thread (3rd person plural).

We= the righteous public (1st person plural)

Written for the benefit of you (2nd person singular) thicko

No need to thank me