communications systems operator

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by carli, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey!!can anybody give me an insight into what this job entails, i do have a job brief but really dont want to memorise it word for word on what i will be taught...thanks in advance everyone :D

2. erm the fact of life is you will do all the bitch jobs that nobody else wants to do ! dont get me wrong when your doing your job its good, but when its all set up and its just groundhog day, and as its a reactive job, i.e. you have to be there incase something goes wrong with the kit, people see you sitting reading a book and think your bored, "just a little hint we are not bored of our jobs we just HAVE to be there!" yes im having a whinge and i dont care, but seriously in the signals its one of the better jobs, and you couldnt go far wrong for promotion prospects seeing some of the current board results (not bitter it happens every year). if you need to know more on the ins and outs of the job pm me and ill let you know, oh and as for the whinging, if a squaddie doesnt whinge there is something wrong with him FACT !

3. some of what the above says is true. some of it is him being a whiny lil bitch. :D

in the signals we enjoy the little perks. kero heaters on excercise, hot scoff, proper beds and sometimes even dhobie. being in the rear with the gear has its little ups. but also its downs, being organic support can lead to you doing jobs that are so ubershitty itll make your head spin. just for one shining example as a young siggy i was made to stag on an empty tent in full rig (webbing helmet and cam cream...bearing in mind we are miles from the front line) just so noone would go in it and make noise. as the lowest ranks in a headquaters you will be made to do shit jobs... a staff officer isnt going to empty the bin or burn the rubbish. hes far too important. know your role and if you dont fancy doing it anymore get promoted.

now the good stuff. the corps is all changing... new kit... new units... new rules... apparantly we are to have operators embedded fully into the infantry as rear link detachments... this should forfil any wet dreams you have about getting out and about and maybe doing some soldiering.

day to day comms sys op is pretty standard. in an armoured unit youll be expected to look after the vehicles and the equipment in them plus look after the headquarters build. few excercises a year. nothing too tough. plus canada and poland on top of that.

postings: the royal corps is massive. loads of postings for cs-ops. iv got all my first choices. and had a good variation of job specs.

operations: take a look on youtube, theres a good bit of banter on there from sigs lot. plus the 16AA operators getting some rounds down too.

all in all its not a bad job... theres better out there. the main day to day of it is fixing wagons and looking after officers needs. it doesnt change much on excercise either.

hope this has helped... if it hasnt helped you then it might have helped someone else.

4. Some goods answers. I'm due to start training for Comm Sys Engineer in a few weeks, which is a fairly new role. Its a little confusing what each trade actually does, because there seems to be a lot of overlapping. Is the above mentioned the same for the CSE trade, especially in regards to what kenobi has said?

Not that I'm concerned, just be nice to know what its really like on the ground.

I'm sure the travel, sports and adventure benefits outweigh the downsides. Either way, I'm happy to be joining the Army.

5. One of the best bits of the operator trade is its sheer size - it makes up over half of the personnel in the Corps, which means that it is unrivalled for sheer variety of postings. The flipside of the coin is that operators are therefore more likely to get the crap jobs (due to sheer numbers). It has to be said though, that the "meat" of the operator trade is in providing tactical communications systems at Divisional, Brigade and Battle Group levels and "area" communication systems" to other headquarters.

From the advert:

Note how it says "taught how to use", rather than to design, engineer, maintain or similar? To be brutally honest, operators are given less depth of training because they are expected, in general, to be able to deploy quickly to near the front line operating kit with minimum fuss. Engineers tend to be located slightly further back or at least where they can carry out more complex engineering and maintenance tasks. It also helps to explain why the engineer training is longer. Even a couple of years along the line as an NCO, there is a clear difference in upgrader training, with the Class 1 Operator course lasting about 4 weeks long and the Class 1 Engineer course up at nearly a year.

You can also take all that stuff about "extensive information systems training" for operators with a huge pinch of salt. In actual fact, CS Op training only includes ECDL modules 1, 2, 3 and 7, followed by approximately two weeks of rather low-level ICT theory. In contrast (this is only "IS" training I'm talking about here), Class 3 engineers do all ECDL modules, then they are taught to install, configure and maintain MS Windows XP, Windows AD / 2003, Exchange 2003, taught how to set up and repair PCs to approx A+ level, given a few weeks networking training (approx N+ level), given some low-level router training, a week of generic "IT maintenance" stuff (antivirus, backups, scripts, power, system tools etc), given a few days of pretty basic database and web techniques then a few more days of IT service management. They finish up there with a week on exercise practicing their IS skills in an environment which at least from an architectural perspective, based very closely on current operations, before moving onto the next phase of the course (Bowman if I recall correctly).

PD

6. I think you do remember correctly PD - specifically Bowman Advanced Signaller and Level 1 Maintainer.

7. So, CS Eng set up, install and administer the infrastructure behind the lines, and CS Op maintain it out in the field as attachments with other units?

8. cs eng is basically your is type of person, ie computers and fixing stuff.

cs operator maintains and operates different types of radio communications kit, and breaks alot of it :p

and as the man kenobi says im a whiny bitch, thats right but who isnt,

just gonna empty the bins, be right back :D

9. lets just hope you never get a job in recruiting. :D

10. haha erm anyway . . . . . . . . lets move on, the royal signals is definatley without a doubt the best place to be . . . . . . . . FACT.

11. summery of a comms sys op: biggest blagger on the planet. can talk about fresnal zones sporadic E and ionospherics to his hearrts content. the truth of the matter is he has no idea whats going on with the kit as its all pissing digital and relies on one man to write the fills properly. spends the rest of his time on litter picks and black nastying the tent so the rain doesnt come in.

comms sys op det comd: same as above, a bit less litterpicking.

12. the last by easy-wan-kenobi should settle all questions ! OUT

13. Didn't the 'Spec Op' of old sort of cover the gap between Operator and Tech a bit better, weren't they heavily trained in Comms Procedures and quantization etc???

14. completely different aspect of the trade mate, more the electronic warfare side of things.