Communications in mountainous terrain

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by kiloarmy, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help with information on the difficulties of communicating in mountainous terrain?
    If you can pm me with any details it would be appreciated.

2. Big aerial and crank up the power until you can cook a cow 10 miles away.

Job sorted.

3. Which mountainous region are we talking?

the most reliable bit of kit for long range or one side of a mountain to the other is Satphones.

failing that 2 bean tins and really tight string.

4. wolf dung allegedly makes the best smoke signals...

5. Like the mountains in Pakistan, working on a area network using VHF/UHF/SHF.

6. Good old NVIS is the bugger you need. Near Vertical Incidence Skywave

Easily done with a 320 and a bit of braid. Key to remember is the lower the antenna (ie on the floor), the steeper the angle of incidence (or radiation) which makes comms possible in mountainous terrain.

Link shows a fairly non-technical guide but google "NVIS" and you're bound to find a dummies guide to it.

7. Get yer rebro sites on the very top of the mountains. :thumright:

8. As PotYofS says, use HF. Higher frequencies need line of sight, so VHF may work but you'd need plenty of rebros.....

or SATCOM as mentioned previously

9. ICRI

If you try here, this is a commercial venture which could help if you submit a UOR. This is not the exact kit you need but very close to what is about.

This will let you transmit over UHF/VHF/HF at the same time which will extend your voice nets.

If this is not a waaa and you have a secure line PM me and I will endeavour to help you further.

10. Mmmm, HF black magic. Makes me feel all warm inside (or perhaps that's the power output?)

B-T

11. Does anyone have any experience of a wide area network system like Ptarmigan in this terrain?
    Maybe from Balkans use.

12. Back to X25 protocol, god you have to love it.

Ptarmigan is well known for being a turd when it comes to extremely rough terrain. If the PPA says it won’t work, forget about it. I would imagine you have tested it.

What are you having problems with? Getting the links in or the actual users?

13. Cant imagine Ptarmigan would be any good in this circumstance.

Id go for a 320, Magic 10 and NVIS

or some satcom.

Failing that...Nokia may help !

14. Don't shout "AVALANCHE!! BEHIND YOU!!"

15. Forget ptarmigan unless you want to quad in all the nodes.

sat-phones are the way forword if its a civ application just get a pay as you go sat/quad-band phone an jobs a good-un.

there is another system that would work but i carn't remember the name of it. i'll try and find out.

otherwise its NVIS as PotYos

I_G