COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS ENGINEER vs. ELECTRONIC WARFARE SYSTEM

Sorry for giving you another boring post, but I’m really stuck on this one, and need another perspective of someone who has actually done the job.

From what I gather communication systems engineers are responsible for the engineering, and maintenance of information and communication systems and Electronic Warfare Systems Operators have the responsibility for using sophisticated equipment to eavesdrop on enemy communications.

Both these job profiles interest me but I cant decide which one to go for. cs engineers seem to be very popular and look to have a wide range of jobs and postings. I’m looking for a job that keeps me on my toes and not stuck at a desk all day.

Any info would be much appreciated, cheers

I'm sure you'll get some really sensible answers to your post over the next couple of days mate....

.... in the meantime! :lol: .... i think EW Ops are all frustrated goat fiddlers who couldn't find their own arrse with both hands. I base this assumption on nothinig more than the fact that i am ex-Operator. Radio Telegraphist to be precise.... God's children and all that!

I shall now go back to trying to dig out the Malteser that's rolled under me monitor.... last one as well, gutted! 8O

If you are interested in the 'eavesdropping' part, rather than just operating the equipment, you might want to consider the Intelligence Corps. As you quite rightly stated, EW Sys Ops are trained to operate the collection equipment, but that is about as far as it goes, the days of setrooms full of morse monkeys are long gone.

Unless your enemy has been kind enough to train their radio operators to speak English, you'll need a linguist to translate the traffic before you can do anything with it. You simply train your linguist to operate the kit and you've negated the need for an EW Sys Op.

Of course there is more to being an EW Sys Op, you could go off to work with EOD, but then why would you do that if you were interested in the intelligence collection aspect of EW.

Doogonk said:
I'm sure you'll get some really sensible answers to your post over the next couple of days mate....
Yeah right!

Doogonk said:
in the meantime! :lol: .... i think EW Ops are all frustrated goat fiddlers who couldn't find their own arrse with both hands. I base this assumption on nothinig more than the fact that i am ex-Operator. Radio Telegraphist to be precise.... God's children and all that!
However, remember if you want to EW Sys you must be prepared to take it up the shitter! FACT

Dear KTC1 as you will have seen this was not the place to ask for realistic advice!! All jobs pay the same ish so find something that you caan endure sorry enjoy take the money and live for a good posting [mine seem to have been based around sunshine (cyprus / italy)

A Smile for all of those self declared Gods children ' She was only the RTG's daughter but she did it because her Da Da Didit - Only the golden oldies still make me smile!!

Fraser said:
If you are interested in the 'eavesdropping' part, rather than just operating the equipment, you might want to consider the Intelligence Corps. As you quite rightly stated, EW Sys Ops are trained to operate the collection equipment, but that is about as far as it goes, the days of setrooms full of morse monkeys are long gone.

Hmm, your finger may be a little off the pulse. Not the place to discuss this in detail but you might want to have a look at the A&R that EW Sys Ops do nowadays. Even more amusing is the EW Sys Op that is front and centre on much of the Int Corps recruiting literature.

In answer to the OP, both trades attract promotion to LCpl and High Band pay (currently £23,600 per annum) on succesful completion of Phase 2 training and have similar entry standards. In a nutshell though, what flicks your switch? IT and Network engineering and maintaining communications equipment or disrupting enemy communications, intelligence gathering and working within EOD Bomb disposal? Only questions that you can answer really.

Au_Courant said:
Hmm, your finger may be a little off the pulse. Not the place to discuss this in detail but you might want to have a look at the A&R that EW Sys Ops do nowadays.
I think you missed the point of my post. I know what areas EW Sys Ops are employed in, but the original post didn't say "I want to be an intelligence analyst".

If you want to work in Intelligence, IT and communications, the official Army website recommends only one trade. :wink:

Fraser said:
If you want to work in Intelligence, IT and communications, the official Army website recommends only one trade. :wink:
However, it is completely way off the mark! :D

CS Engr all the way.

Heya thanks for all your posts, I have decided to go with OPMI as my first choice and CS Engr as my second job choice. :D

KTC1 said:
Heya thanks for all your posts, I have decided to go with OPMI as my first choice and CS Engr as my second job choice. :D
Top thing to remember in 3 years time:

Army Form B241 - Application to Transfer.

8)

PoisonDwarf said:
KTC1 said:
Top thing to remember in 3 years time:

Army Form B241 - Application to Transfer.

8)
:D I've lost count of the number of Int Corps soldiers asking me about transfer to the Royal Corps.

Perevodchik said:
:D I've lost count of the number of Int Corps soldiers asking me about transfer to the Royal Corps.
BUT...one of the good things about the Int Corps is that they still have a presence in every regional Brigade, so there is quite a good chance of moving to unusual postings according to the soldier's preference.

Evening gents, i am in the process of transferring into the R Signals and my job choice was CS Eng unfortunately i have found out today that there are no vacancies at my rank so i have been offered CS Op or EW Sys Op.

So i guess my question really is how do either of these trades compare to the CS Eng for Promotion prospects, pay band, qualifications,postings and employment beyond the 22 years that i am most likely to be in the Army for??

I'm swaying towards EW Sys Op TBH as i think it sounds a more interesting job.

Again apoligies if this has been done many times before.

EW Sys op is a lot better for promotion as i've just been told. as for the job it is by far a lot more rewarding than CS eng on tour that is. im currently on Herrick and althoug a CS op am doing EW job and is fantasticly rewarding even to the point of considering re trading this being my second tour doing this job.
The only but is postings are pretty limited and its a small community so can be cliquey as they say.

all the best.

clayhead said:
EW Sys op is a lot better for promotion as i've just been told. as for the job it is by far a lot more rewarding than CS eng on tour that is. im currently on Herrick and althoug a CS op am doing EW job and is fantasticly rewarding even to the point of considering re trading this being my second tour doing this job.
The only but is postings are pretty limited and its a small community so can be cliquey as they say.

all the best.
Thanks for the speedy reply, i'm really in a pickle now as i had set my heart on doing more IT Networking and went and done my CCNA as a primer, now looks like i'm not going to be able to do the job i wanted.

Seems to be hard to gather information on the EW trade (for obvious reasons)

When you say limited postings would i expect to spend half my career at 14??

Thanks
Simmo

Depends on how wnak they are at Glasgow!

There aren't a huge number of peacetime locations out there mate, but you'll probably find the variety of jobs and the UK based stability more than makes up for that. If it's travel your after as well, and you've been offered EW Sys Op, make some tentative enquiries about OP MI as well. Can't hurt.

This is a fair point and if your interested in that side of the world its worth considering. You will undoubtably find yourself to and from 14 some say its a good things some say bad it depends on your feeling of the regiment. i quite like the place but it does leave me pulling my hair out on a regular basis but then again the corp does that as a whole.

I suppose the choice is do you want a technical trade/job or do you want an interesting career? Safe to say you won't be short of getting dirty doing the green stuff with the infantry and getting to rub the remf trades like ED and lineys nose in it when they bang on about being a combat trade.

As i said before the job is immensly rewarding (when on tour) but i can't speak for any of the other posting EW SYS OPs have.

S

squirt

One way of looking at it is this.. As a CS Eng you will (forgive me if I'm wrong) be doing the same job everywhere you go, albeit on different equipment. Benefit of this trade in comparison with EW Sys Op is the huge variety of postings you could go to.

As an EW Sys Op, everywhere you get posted, you are doing a completely different job, giving you variety and gaining you different skill sets. The postings, as already mentioned, are very limited which IMO is the biggest downfall of the trade.

Depends what you're after.. Hope this helps...

squirt said:
One way of looking at it is this.. As a CS Eng you will (forgive me if I'm wrong) be doing the same job everywhere you go, albeit on different equipment. Benefit of this trade in comparison with EW Sys Op is the huge variety of postings you could go to.

As an EW Sys Op, everywhere you get posted, you are doing a completely different job, giving you variety and gaining you different skill sets. The postings, as already mentioned, are very limited which IMO is the biggest downfall of the trade.

Depends what you're after.. Hope this helps...
CS ENgrs have quite a varied job spec.... different units can mean completely different work.

So you are wrong.

Latest Threads