Commonweath War Graves desecrated as 'Iraq abuse revenge'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, May 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

2. I don't know Viro, there's something damned odd about this.

Why aren't the cemeteries in Syria, Lebanon and indeed Iraq getting violated?

Obviously, the Mirror has it's part to play, and the Dear leader (May angels anoint his head etc etc) apologising on Frog TV (There u go Lads, the PM says you're all guilty) for various alleged abuses.

I don't know, it's bloody criminal, but there is something bugging me.
  3. Perhaps it was the Israelis though I must admit the photos on the BBC had the swastikas the wrong way round and one would think that the jews of all people would know the differance.

Seriously for all those who cannot recognise heavy irony there is a very savvy political element working within Palestine which knows how to work people into a frenzy. Get people to desecrate graveyards, get people to blow themselves up next to schoolchildren and get daft twats in the House of Commons to agree with you.
  4. also noteworthy is that every picture I saw taped to the gravestones was of US soldiers abusing prisoners.

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

No words really.

Morgan, I hope you are proud of yourself.
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Today's Daily Express shows some graves with different pictures. They are, of course, the fake ones from the Mirror.
  7. It all boils down to Piers and his lovely pictures!

He has inflamed the whole situation in search of selling more papers. If a Brit is killed because of this, then he should be hauled up for manslaughter. :evil:
  8. Chaps

Question: Re the Piers et al fake pics scenario - surely he is technically guilty of treason? Especially since the troubles in Basra have inflamed as a direct result of his tripe and 'bounties' have been put on our lads and lasses' heads?

Thus ANY further injuries/fatalities can be directly atributed to the Mirror?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dr Octo.
  9. Now seen.

Wonder if Piers is feeling good about this? Will the Mirror show the gravestones with "Their" photos?

Time for Mr. Morgan to be left in a room with a bottle of Scotch and a single round in a Webley.
  10. Good point well made. Ok chaps Let's see how Morgans actions stand up to the charges shall we? Here is a few random definitions of treason (and I have to say Piers old boy it's not looking too jolly for you). :twisted:

1 A crime that undermines the offender's government
    guilty or not guilty?

2 Disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior
    guilty or not guilty?

3 An act of deliberate betrayal
    guilty or not guilty?

4 A crime against the government of a country.
    guilty or not guilty?

5 Killing the sovereign, making war against the sovereign or instigating a foreigner to make an armed invasion , or having sexual intercourse with the wife of a sovereign 8O
    guilty or not guilty?

6 Plotting against a ruler or government; someone who commits treason is called a traitor
    guilty or not guilty?

7 Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.
    guilty or not guilty?

8 A betrayal of trust or confidence.
    guilty or not guilty?
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Its sad how the descercration of graves of soldiers who died nearly 80 years ago has been caused by the Daily Mirrors lack of foresight.

These soldiers died in a different war in a different century and should be left to rest in peace.

Again, Morgan, I hope one of your hacks reads this.
  12. Olive Green.
    I see where you are coming from, but in general terms, I dont think that doing papers for treason would be setting a good precedent. In this case, you have a valid argument, but future unscrupulous governments could use the law to persecute honourable whistle blowers to protect their own hides, rather than the interests of the state.
  13. Should we not now be demanding a full judicial inquiry into the actions of Piers Moron and his "News"paper?

Everyone else seems to want one, funded by Legal Aid.

Why not those who are actually being fired upon as a result of his greed and stupidity?

Hanging for treason was abolished some time ago. Perhaps he should be invited instead to interview some of those nice people who are shooting at UK personnel in S Iraq? Wearing uniform, of course, like the people in his photos?
  14. He'd probably miss!! :twisted: :twisted:
  15. On a related but somewhat tangental note all the talk of treason etc. got me thinking.

If any serving Service personnel (or their partners?) can show that the distress caused by the publication of the pictures has affected either their mental state or inflamed the situation in the sandpit and they are injured can they not take a civil action for damages against the mirror in general or morgan in particular?

A few years ago I'd have laughed at just the idea but with the legal system being what it is I suspect there may be some milage in such a course of action. :roll: