Commonwealth War Graves in Iraq.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Ventress, Feb 1, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Now with the impending assualt on Iraq and hopefully overthrow of Saddam Hussien, will the CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) have access to the numerous cemeteries around Kut and Basra that have been untended for years?

Anyone any clues?

2. I'm fairly sure that if my gang gets the chance to call in with some suitable cleaning materials and scrubbing brushes, we'll be tidying up as is appropriate.

3. I've spoken to the planners about this only this morning.  An Army spokesman said:

"It's not the top of our priority list, and falls somewhere beween winning the peace and setting up Pirate CD sellers outside all the bases".

His colleague added "Fighting for peace is like fcuking for virginity."

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Scribbler- hope that was sarcasm, those are the graves of soldiers, we aren't fit to bull their boots. So hopefully someone will have it slightly higher in the priority than Sky satelites contracts that the MOD wont pay for!

5. Q numbers: Sarcasm?  It needed clarification?

Speak for yourself, and speak your mind young man.  I always do.

6. QMan

What's your source for the war graves in neglect story?

Regards

PTP

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

In Iraq there are a total of 54,053 CWGC graves Commonwealth war dead buried or commemorated at 13 locations in Iraq. The majority of these casualties occurred during the Mesopotamian campaign against the Ottoman Turks in World War One.

Maintenance became difficult during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s but continued until the onset of the Gulf War in 1990. Since 1996 Commission staff have made a number of visits to Iraq and some renovation work was possible before the resumption of bombing in 1998 brought further delays. These and the effects of two wars and years of sanctions have left all of the cemeteries in need of attention and although there has been considerable damage to the fabric of the cemeteries, there has been no threat to the land or disturbance of the burials.
    Following persistent visits since 1998, full agreement to resume work was received last December after a meeting between the Commission's Director-General, Mr Richard Kellaway, and the Iraqi Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dr Naji Sabri al Hadithi. The Commission plans a rolling maintenance programme in Iraq with the full agreement and co-operation of the Iraqi authorities.

Work is already underway at the largest of the Commission's cemeteries in Iraq, Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery, where a new perimeter fence has been installed and construction of a caretaker/watchman's quarters has begun. This will be followed by a major horticultural and structural renovation programme. More than 500 headstones have been shipped to Iraq with United Nations approval - just the first phase in a major headstone replacement programme.

Members of the Commission's staff recently visited to check on the progress made by contractors working at Baghdad (North Gate) Cemetery. They also visited the Commission's other sites in Iraq to identify what action needs to be taken.

The Commission takes a long term view of the situation in Iraq and although we have suffered many setbacks we faced similar difficulties in the Lebanon some years ago. As a result of the long civil war Beirut War Cemetery became a wilderness but it was rebuilt by the Commission and is now an oasis of remembrance and peace in a bustling industrious city. The task is much greater in Iraq because of the number and spread of the cemeteries but the Commission wishes to reassure the public that it will do everything in its power to restore the graves to a fitting standard

The above statement is taken from www:cwgc.org/ and shows there is still alot of work required, although it appears the Iraqi Government have honoured passed agreements to maintain the Cemeteries.

8. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Well at least they can be commended for recognising the sanctity of these sites.

9. Saddened by the sight of the British War Graves cemetery in Mosul, Northern Iraq.  C4 last night showed a documentary (only recorded in the last few weeks)  on Iraqis sites of historical importance.  The British film crew changed upon this cemetery.  All the gravestones have been smashed to pieces, and there was even a hermit living in the cemetery who has built his home out of smashed headstones.  The presenter (clearly saddened by what has happened) looked at one of these headstones, and it was inscribed Bombardier D O'Connor, RA.  

Any comments/thoughts on this?

10. I saw that programme last night, I was quite disgusted by the whole thing. Clearly the Iraqi minder also felt awkward, I hope none of these soldiers relations were watching.

It would appear from one of the previous posts that the WGC has plans to sort out these problems.

Interesting that the Iraqis had aparently built hardened aircraft shelters next to these ancient monuments, clearly in the hope that they would not be targeted.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

As the CWGC quote said, they are trying to repair the cemeteries, and 500 new headstones had been ordered to go to Iraq.

I didn't see the C4 prog, but am disgusted to read how these places are being desecrated!

Its hard to imagine how the graves in the following countries are fairing:

Eritrea: 953 Graves
    Cuba: 3
    Sudan: 395
    Zimbabwe: 542
    Lebanon: 1705
    Iran: 551

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Surely if Blair want UK support just use this desecration as an example and the British public would demand Husseins over-throw!

It must be time to repatriate the remains to safe location.

13. I too saw the C4 documentary and in common with everyone else who uses ARRSE I was saddened by the images of the military cemetary in Mosul. Hopefully it won't be damaged further if a new war does start and no doubt once the fighting has stopped and the surrounding area made safe then the nearest British Unit will make a start on tidying and repairing the cemetary.

I've also heard a rumour going around at work following the documentary that there are British war graves in Kazakhstan of all places. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it just a rumour.  

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

There are no listed graves in Kazakhstan, in the CWGC list of graves and memorials. But there are some in Bulgaria, Argentina, Syria,Latvia to name a few outward locations.

The full list is on http://www.cwgc/commitment.html