Commonwealth War Grave

Cpn6?!

Clanker
My Uncle (RAOC) was killed in 1943 near Salisbury I think; he doesn’t have a CWG headstone as others do, would there be a reason for that? Could it have been a family choice?
Also, is it possible to establish how this dreadful accident occurred that brought about his demise or are these records unavailable ?.

Thankyou for reading this post.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not sure ref the gravestone, but if you can elaborate on the accident in question, somebody may well have more info.

My Uncle (RAOC) was killed in 1943 near Salisbury I think; he doesn’t have a CWG headstone as others do, would there be a reason for that? Could it have been a family choice?
Also, is it possible to establish how this dreadful accident occurred that brought about his demise or are these records unavailable ?.

If you know his service number and full name would you mind posting it here.
@FourZeroCharlie one for you maybe?

Cpn6?!

Clanker
If you know his service number and full name would you mind posting it here.
@FourZeroCharlie one for you maybe?
Hello,

Thanks for responding.

His name was Private Peter Roy Mantle, RAOC, 7612302, killed in August 1943…he was a UXB man whilst doing some disposal work he was badly injured & died in hospital near Salisbury.
Thanks for any assistance.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hello,

Thanks for responding.

His name was Private Peter Roy Mantle, RAOC, 7612302, killed in August 1943…he was a UXB man whilst doing some disposal work he was badly injured & died in hospital near Salisbury.
Thanks for any assistance.
The hospital could well have been at Odstock. All WW2 accommodation a mile or 2 to the south of Salisbury cathedral.

That’s the one, thankyou very much, can I establish what happened to him? I was always told that a fuse wasn’t long enough & he couldn’t get away fast enough?
Sorry mate, that was just from a quick CWGC search. Some new information can sometimes be found there (especially if you click on the download certificate button), but there's not much there to go on, sorry. I was hoping it might have revealed the ID of his RAOC Company, but sadly not.

This might be your best bet: RLC Museum Archives & Library - The Royal Logistic Corps

That’s the one, thankyou very much, can I establish what happened to him? I was always told that a fuse wasn’t long enough & he couldn’t get away fast enough?
Have you requested his statuarty death cert thats recorded at the local council ? Normally costs about £10 If anything will have date/time/location/cause of death on it

Cpn6?!

Clanker
Sorry mate, that was just from a quick CWGC search. Some new information can sometimes be found there (especially if you click on the download certificate button), but there's not much there to go on, sorry. I was hoping it might have revealed the ID of his RAOC Company, but sadly not.

This might be your best bet: RLC Museum Archives & Library - The Royal Logistic Corps
You are a true star your advice & effort are so appreciated.
Thankyou again.

His entry in the Graves Registration Report Form shows the entry "P.M." for private memorial, and notes that it is maintained by relatives.

Looks like it was at the choice of his relatives.

As he died in Wiltshire, and his next of kin (wife) lived in Grateley (a village on the Wilts/Hants boundary, near Andover) can you say why he was buried in a churchyard in Leamington Spa ?

Cpn6?!

Clanker
His entry in the Graves Registration Report Form shows the entry "P.M." for private memorial, and notes that it is maintained by relatives.

Looks like it was at the choice of his relatives.

As he died in Wiltshire, and his next of kin (wife) lived in Grateley (a village on the Wilts/Hants boundary, near Andover) can you say why he was buried in a churchyard in Leamington Spa ?
Hello,

Your response is most welcome.

Yes, he grew up in Leamington & the family lived there…I was told that he requested to be taken home . Trouble is I no longer live in Warks so can’t tend his grave & sadly, the family have all passed away.

Latest Threads