• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Commonwealth Uniforms

Are current commonwealth/colonial troops allowed to wear their country flash on uniforms the way they used to? (like the Canadian uniform below) It's not important but as someone from Bermuda, I just wondered if it was possible.

M

Mark The Convict

It's quite unnecessary; they know in their wizened little hearts that their effete demeanour, stunted stature and reedy voices are unmistakeable :wave:

I believe that the people of Yorkshire have also lobbied hard to be able to wear the 'Yorkshire' flash in order to distinguish themselves from the British.

The national shoulder flashes were (and in some cases still are) worn by servicemen and women of Independant Commonwealth Forces in their own right, not commonwealth members who happened to join the UK Forces. It was just convienience that UK style uniforms were adopted by countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand (East Tasmania ;-)) during the World Wars...

Sir, how dare you dis the New Zealand Royal Air Force.........er, all right you got me there.
The RNZAF has gone back to wearing 'Royal New Zealand Air Force' Flashes, rather than 'New Zealand', just as they did until c 1980.

And I'm 6'1" and my heart is strongy...but I have large, hairy feet, suitable for a Hobbit.

Anyhow back on thread.
OP you may not be able to wear a Bermuda shoulder flash, but I'm sure your RSM will look favourably on your request to retain your dreadlocks.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
If F&C troops start wearing national identifier mudguards, then the rest of us should as well. "England" on mine. Or "Great Britain" or at the very least "None Of Your ******* Business Where I Was Born, Tosspot". The latter may need to be over a few lines though because my shoulders ain't that big.

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
It was my understanding that the flashes were developed during WWII for esprit de corps, promoting the fact that our colonials had answered the call of mummy, and most importantly to stop over zealous Home Guard from slotting Saffas and Poles in the belief that their accent was Bavaria not Bloemfontein or Poznan. Now we have Walkabout Pubs, Neighbours and Home and Away, the Rugby World Cup and Blonde people fixing our drains, whilst at the same time our enemies have beards and Dish Dashes we are no longer likely to slot the wrong chappie. Thus the need for the flashes is Redundant.

New Zealand Forces wear the 'New Zealand' flash on their No1s, purely to prevent being mistaken for Australians.
Not quite true as the Kiwis generally only wear the NZ flash on their service dress. The only other time they wear the flash on other uniforms is when they are serving overseas. As for being mistaken for Australians that is easy, the Kiwis do not usually have chips on both shoulders as the Austalians do!

Latest Threads