Commonwealth soldiers form a union

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Manymetal, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why don't we all form one????

linky

mod edit to make link work :numberone: :headbang:

2. I am sure this was the purpose of BAFF...

I have no doubt the media are twisting this for full effect.

3. Is it a genuine reason or is it a way to bully the command chain into promoting soldiers who do not meet the same standards as their peers???

4. General Viggers' interview on the BBC programme was excellent.

Earlier in the piece, it was put to the guy proposing this Commonwealth Soldiers Union "Surely that is what the new British Armed Forces Federation is for", and he said that he had never heard of it.

That is certainly a challenge and a criticism for BAFF, but it goes further than that:

Regretfully I have to reveal that their MOD-PR masters banned Soldier magazine from any editorial coverage of BAFF "for the time being". We do have a small ad in that fine magazine, but even that had to be painfully negotiated and vetted by Main Building. We have kept this information to ourselves until now, but MOD PR's short-sighted decision has now backfired on the Army.

By contrast, BAFF has regularly featured on BFBS.

More to follow during the day.

Can we move this to Current Affairs? I appreciate that people didnt want to give this too much prominence, but I think we - ARRSE and BAFF - can respond usefully without an orgy of political correctness.

D.Y. (Chairman, BAFF)

5. There has just been an interview with a General on Radio 4 on the topic, including an accusation of "almost institutional racism" on the Army's part because of "bullying, restricted promotion, unequal opportunities etc". Unfortunately, I broke in halfway through, didn't hear the General's name (it was AG, General Viggers) and can't find any link on the Radio 4 website.

I'll keep looking.

One closing comment was that "there will be Commanding Officers and RSMs reviewing their units to see if they comply with the rules". And another busy day starts....

Litotes

6. well as a commonwealth soldier this is news to me, and I totally disagree with it. I have never been 'disadvantaged' because I come from abroad. sure I've had the piss taken out of my accent, but that is to be expected, as all brits think I'm american.

I've never seen 'ethnic' commonwealth soldiers be discriminated against. Some of them just don't get promoted cause they're crap, just as some white english blokes don't get promoted due to crappiness.

7. We have got a 5 year full screw at our Regt, who is a Commonwealth soldier. It took me 6 to get my first. There is no evidence of discrimination at my unit and I think The Army is one of the few employers who really do take any complaints on a racial or ethnic ground seriously. By the way the reason for my slow progress up the ranks is because I'm shoite.

8. Being an Ex recruit instructor I found commonwealth recruits, hard working, keen to impress and loyal to their fellow recruits. Now I see the same people as lazy, arrogant and disloyal to all but their very close clicky community. It seems that once they have passed training they know their not going to get kicked out so why bother. It is this attitude that prevents these soldiers getting selected for promotion not their race or colour

9. I suspect the lads forming this have not heard of BAFF. However, although each case must be taken on its merits the abuse they are recounting is disgraceful and if forming a union helps them to use the equal ops processes properly (i.e. acts as a friend to assist, and offers independent advice).

Frankly no-one ever should be abused, and subjected to harassment by other soldiers dressed in KKK outfits etc etc.

The F&C soldiers in my Sqn were all good soldiers and those who were promoted deserved to be selectde ahead of their peers. I never saw a case of a JNCO being trated differently because of his colour, and would never have tolerated it. However I do not say that in some areas it never happens.

10. The Army has only really expanded its Commonwealth recruiting over the last 5 years or so - therefore a lot of the guys in this position are still at JNCO level. I reckon such problems as there are will subside once they start becoming Seniors.

Same deal with black British recruits - there were a lot of problems with racism when they first started (remember the stories about the first black Guardsman? :sad: ) but now it's not uncommon to meet black SNCOs who have stayed and proved their worth, and things are a lot better.

11. righteo then

... I'm off to start my own union for short-arrsed, ugly, fat-chicks in uniform....

(Oh the QA's have beat me to it).

Don't oppress me!

12. Being an Ex recruit instructor I found commonwealth recruits, hard working, keen to impress and loyal to their fellow recruits. Now I see the same people as lazy, arrogant and disloyal to all but their very close clicky community. It seems that once they have passed training they know their not going to get kicked out so why bother. It is this attitude that prevents these soldiers getting selected for promotion not their race or colour