Commonwealth serving soldier transfer to Int Corps

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Canada6789, May 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a serving soldier, with four years service, looking to transfer in. Experience and education are fine---I hold a degree, I am fluent in a foreign language, and I have G2 experience. My problem is perhaps an obvious one: DV. Realistically, what are my chances of completing a transfer in good time if I put in for it now? I wouldn't want to waste everyone's time if it is going to take another two or three years for the DVA to complete the appropriate vetting. Any insights and opinions welcome.
  2. I think you need at least 5 years residency prior to transfer but having said that rules may have changed.

The DV takes as long as it takes and there are a lot of factors involved it would be inappropriate to discuss in a public forum. All being well however and you are talking months rather than years.

Go for it!
  3. The months-not-years comment is is my understanding that I need not be DV to attend Phase Two training. If this is the case then I do not see anything stopping me---barring some strange vetting complication. Either way, my paper work is going in very shortly. I just want as much of a heads up because my situation is slightly different from the average UK, off the street applicant.
  4. Top Tip, grow a beard, wear a suicide vest and call the interviewer "Infidel Dog" during selection and they'll snap you up!
  5. Thanks for the guidance...that coupled with the collective nous at my normal place of work has certainly influenced my decision.
  6. Waaay back when, about 1979 I think, we had Cpl Rufus Orme serving in 121 Int Section, HQNI. Rufus held dual nationality (Brit & Canadian) and eventually went off to join the New Zealand Int Corps in about 1982.

It's been done before, so I presume it could be done again!

It certainly works in the opoosite direction, as I know a former UK Scaley who transferred to the Canadian Int Corps.
  7. I did it, and it was before I was a UK national or had 5 years UK residency: APC can waive both requirements. And my DV experience is iaw the Cad's comments.
  8. Dont know about nationality for int corps, but chatting to Vetting section said it would take around 3 months to go check you out.
  9. Knew Rufus extremely well. A bull of a man but blind as a bat without his glasses. He'd played gridiron football at home but, of course, you can wear corrective visors when you've got a helmet on on the pitch. We got Rufus to agree to play Rugby Union for 12 Coy. Everything went well in close play, he was a great natural second row, but the problems came in open play. As team captain and pack leader I unwisely tried to keep him effective and within the laws by telling him that when it came to mauls he should listen for my voice and come in on our side of the pile of bodies. Worked well too until I had turned to present the ball, got wrapped up, and having shouted to Rufus, looked up to see hundreds of pounds of prime Canuck beef steaming in straight at me. His shoulder caught me under the chin and I felt the neck muscles go big time!!! I had a stiff neck for months! He was a great guy, though. Heart as big as a bucket and if he reads this I just want him to know that my neck is now wrecked.....ya big ba**ard! A great, great guy.