Commonwealth Recruiting Tap Turned On Again

Oddly enough those I met in my time were generally good eggs put right by the system. The petty thievery and fighting that took place usually seemed to be unconnected with these lads as they understood the consequences.
I knew a couple of lads over the years who told me that they would have ended up in nick if the army hadn't sorted them out (ie taught them self respect and some pride, made them fitter, gave them confidence, gave them real mates aqnd friends for life that they could rely on etc etc).

And takes a lot of time and effort to sort out. It also puts a burden on the NHS, both GP services and hospitals.
Indeed. One of my lads is caught in the loop at the moment. The other week he was contacted and told to go to a hospital about 25 miles away to see a consultant about his knee.

He doesn't have a problem with his knee so now he will go to the local hospital to see a different consultant about something else which needs checking out.

Indeed. One of my lads is caught in the loop at the moment. The other week he was contacted and told to go to a hospital about 25 miles away to see a consultant about his knee.

He doesn't have a problem with his knee so now he will go to the local hospital to see a different consultant about something else which needs checking out.
That just about sums it up!

That just about sums it up!
He's about 3 months in and is lucky enough to have space with us and a part-time job after a post-grad year in East Africa but I can readily understand the frustrations of others who don't have that luxury and decide to go elsewhere.

He is being used as a guinea pig for the system by a staff officer, so things are being addressed. Touch wood!

He's about 3 months in and is lucky enough to have space with us and a part-time job after a post-grad year in East Africa but I can readily understand the frustrations of others who don't have that luxury and decide to go elsewhere.

He is being used as a guinea pig for the system by a staff officer, so things are being addressed. Touch wood!
Your son is indeed fortunate that he is being tracked. Hopefully, some reform of the system will come about. That said, I still think that Capita were merely doing as they were told. If it is politically too embarrassing to run down Army numbers via redundancies, then reducing inflow by opaque enforcement of medical standards was an equally viable solution.

So, a UK population of anywhere (because nobody knows) between 65 and 85 million, and yet we can't a few thousand native Brits per year to join up?

Perhaps we need to go back to the days of offering able-bodied young offenders the choice of prison or the army...
Or work out why it is that neither the lifestyle and opportunities available during service nor the thrill of defending the realm are attractive to the kinds of people we want to volunteer?

Your son is indeed fortunate that he is being tracked. Hopefully, some reform of the system will come about. That said, I still think that Capita were merely doing as they were told. If it is politically too embarrassing to run down Army numbers via redundancies, then reducing inflow by opaque enforcement of medical standards was an equally viable solution.
I'd say it's more cock-up than conspiracy and there's an awful lot of running going on just to stand still.

Every black African that worked for me, signed off at 4 years and 1 day, just saying