Commonwealth Recruiting Tap Turned On Again

Great, as long as you don't want them to do any actual engineering.

The company I work for has a sizeable international engineering workforce. My experience over the last few years is that the majority of Indians thus employed tend to be excellent at prevarication and avoidance of responsibility; when I have witnessed their work (on the rare occasions they actually have been forced to do what they are paid for), it has tended to be slipshod and so packed with cavils to be nigh on useless, several times requiring the work to be done over - by someone else.

This is not a race issue; one Sikh from Mumbai who I know is a terrifyingly competent and hard working engineer, and a Sri Lankan in my team is a brilliant designer. I believe it's more a cultural problem; the tendency toward avoidance of responsibility and bureaucratic fudgery appears to be embedded in the way Indians are taught.
A friend of mine, just back from five years work in a maintenance facility that serves the UAE military, can echo this sentiment. Indians and Pakistanis will compete to be held unresponsible for anything, bar a few good lads; the reliable lads are South African/Stroilia/NZ...

A friend of mine, just back from five years work in a maintenance facility that serves the UAE military, can echo this sentiment. Indians and Pakistanis will compete to be held unresponsible for anything, bar a few good lads; the reliable lads are South African/Stroilia/NZ...
Yeah. Bar a few, Asians will seek to be "seen to", rather than doing.

D

Deleted 60082

We (RN) actually had a residency waiver available for limited numbers of Commonwealth Citizens for several years since about 2003 to about 2012 - something like 50 a year. Most commonly we seemed to get applications from more affluent countries such as Oz, NZ, Canada, South Africa and Zimbabwe (until it was suspended from the Commonwealth).

More recently, the government from St Vincent paid for us to go over and process applications on several occasions. Similarly the Army was being sponsored to recruit from Fiji & Nepal.

I think the FCO allowed us to recruit limited numbers of Commonwealth citizens until the Brexit referendum when the government pulled the plug, possibly due to the fact we were bringing non-Europeans into UK, but talking about closing our borders.

This time around the FCO has come up with the figure 1350, of which 300 will be RN/RM. To get that number into training we'll probably have to process about 1200-2400 initial applicants, I'd guess.
I don’t think that the limits were set by the FCO ; they were self-imposed with advice from the Home Office.

Good point, well,presented .....and my Moosus did the CT last month....failed miserably, and after reading through the guidance info and typical questions myself , I reckon, appx 90% of British born citizens would fail it too as the test is bolloxs, not relevant, and an utter scam purely based on trying to chisel money out of people, much like the Policing Cert, much of the CSCS ,SIA shite and the 10 year photo driving licence too.

and she also pays an NHS surcharge of appx £1000 per year.

Her re test is in December, which is also when her resident permits runs out and also needs renewing, another 1k or so.

Considering that we have just gotten back from Nigeria after the costly experience of burying her Mum, my next moosus will be from fecking Catford ( possibly more black chics in Catford too? ;-) )

Fees for citizenship applications and the right of abode from 6 April 2018

Pass rate

Of the 906,464 tests taken between 2005 and 2009, 263,641 were failed (a pass rate of 70.9%). The results of candidates from countries with a strong tradition of immigration to the UK were variable.

The pass rates for people from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States were all above 95%. In contrast, the pass rates for people from Iraq, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Turkey were below 50%.

Analysis of pass rates available for the first 11 months of the new test (from April 2013 to February 2014) show significant variances in pass rate by nationality of origin of those taking the test. For example: Laos 33%, Afghanistan 40%, Syria 67%, Nigeria 69%, India 74%, Canada 95%.

The pass rate for those EU citizens taking the test in this period averaged 86% (Austria 71%, Belgium 75%, Bulgaria 84%, Croatia 92%, Cyprus 83%, Czech Republic 93%, Denmark 95%, Estonia 87%, Finland 86%, France 87%, Germany 91%, Greece 91%, Hungary 90%, Ireland 95%, Italy 92%, Latvia 80%, Lithuania 81%, Luxembourg 100%, Malta 100%, Netherlands 81%, Poland 87%, Portugal 80%, Romania 79%, Slovakia 88%, Slovenia 100%, Spain 89%, Sweden 86%).[16][17][18][19]

Upon completion of the test, candidates are not informed of their exact mark. Successful candidates are informed that they have passed and will be given a Pass Notification Letter that they will have to sign,[20] while unsuccessful candidates learn the topics that they should study further. The test may be taken an unlimited number of times until a candidate achieves a pass. Since its inception, there have been numerous instances of fraud and cheating on the test.[
I passed the test on my first attempt. So I probably know (or knew) more about the UK than most Brits. Just don't ask me any of those useless questions, just forgotten.

My strategy for passing it was playing with the mock test app while bored/ and or drunk. Worked for me.

I don’t think that the limits were set by the FCO ; they were self-imposed with advice from the Home Office.
Yep, you're probably right, either way it's central government that calls the shots on permitting a waiver. It's not uncommon but the numbers of applicants/enquirers this time around pretty much matches our (RN/RM) entire input for the recruiting year.

Capita an amazing company the saviour of the military not.
Youngest son goes to Uni gets a good first followed by his Masters. He contacted Capita to start the recruitment proces theee months down the line he gave up lost paper work blah blah blah.

So what happens he he contacts a company who were head hunting him when he was doing his masters. Three weeks ago he started work on a dammed good package with the bonus that they will sponsor his PHD.
MWas the Army right for him I do not know a very fit and very intelligent young man who would possibly been a benefit to the Army.

And one would wonder where the loyalty of these outsourced soldiers would lie if Britain faced a fight for existence again (obviously if their home countries weren't also under threat or occupied as in the 1939 - 45 nastiness)
I’d expect it to be similar to that of the former empire, from whose former constituents they come.

My brief story is 6 years ago I looked at joining the RAF as an officer, I was 28 at the time. Came on this forum, got tips did my homework.
First off image is everything and it doesn’t get off to a good start being informed of strict fitness regimes by an obese female recruitment officer at the interview.

Secondly at the age of 28 and after 6 years of working in IT in the private sector I was faced with an interview entirely compromised of my school life 10 years ago. Not a single question was asked of my recent career or life.

I had a genuine interest in joining up, my grandad served as did my auntie and I was faced with frankly what was an elitist questioning. I can read between the lines. II remember coming back on here to convey my experience and I received a similar attitude.

With that sort of experience at the recruitment stage it put me and probably many others off for life.
Now fast forward to today and would you believe it they’re having to scrape the barrel for recruits. This is a disaster that has been in the long term making. Now you couldn’t drag me to a recruitment office.
Such a shame
Confession time. I got chinned off by the RAF at 28 too.

They probably asked me the same questions as the 18 to 21 year olds I was being measured against, and were more interested in if I was capable of being moulded in the same way. At no point did I think it was ‘elitist’.

Capita an amazing company the saviour of the military not.
Youngest son goes to Uni gets a good first followed by his Masters. He contacted Capita to start the recruitment proces theee months down the line he gave up lost paper work blah blah blah.

So what happens he he contacts a company who were head hunting him when he was doing his masters. Three weeks ago he started work on a dammed good package with the bonus that they will sponsor his PHD.
MWas the Army right for him I do not know a very fit and very intelligent young man who would possibly been a benefit to the Army.
Was he an LBGT person of black skin? Well there you go then.

Confession time. I got chinned off by the RAF at 28 too.

They probably asked me the same questions as the 18 to 21 year olds I was being measured against, and were more interested in if I was capable of being moulded in the same way. At no point did I think it was ‘elitist’.
Interesting. When I re-joined the army aged 34, I got a very no-nonsense assessment at Lichfield (it wasn't a great experience overall, but my personal interviews were good). My interviewer asked questions like, "how many years are we going to get out of you this time?" and (correctly) read my behaviour in Command Tasks as "letting the young lads have a go before you step in".

D

Deleted 60082

Yep, you're probably right, either way it's central government that calls the shots on permitting a waiver. It's not uncommon but the numbers of applicants/enquirers this time around pretty much matches our (RN/RM) entire input for the recruiting year.
The five-year residency nonsense is an MOD idea and unlikely to have been supported by the Home Office (who lead on migration) except possibly on security grounds. FCO May have been consulted on the most airily of terms, along the lines of ‘any problems with the Forces (continuing) to recruit from the old Commonwealth?” Third Secretary (SLJs): “Nope.”

The five-year residency nonsense is an MOD idea and unlikely to have been supported by the Home Office (who lead on migration) except possibly on security grounds. FCO May have been consulted on the most airily of terms, along the lines of ‘any problems with the Forces (continuing) to recruit from the old Commonwealth?” Third Secretary (SLJs): “Nope.”
It was a political decision: Link

I passed the test on my first attempt. So I probably know (or knew) more about the UK than most Brits. Just don't ask me any of those useless questions, just forgotten.

My strategy for passing it was playing with the mock test app while bored/ and or drunk. Worked for me.

Yep., the wiki article shows a high pass rate amongst those countires that had some form of link to Britian.

What did you make of the releance of the questions? As a native born Brit , who has always been interested in History and Warfare, i laughed at some of them.

It was a political decision: Link
That also indicates it was a long standing agreement until 2013.

Gov.uk said:
As of 11 July 2013, Commonwealth recruits who wish to join the Armed Forces (Regulars) will need to demonstrate they have lived in the UK for the last 5 years.

In addition, non-British recruits to the Reserves will be required to have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK.

The long-standing 5-year UK residency requirement allowing Commonwealth citizens to join the Armed Forces was waived in 1998.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kneukelsleep Southern Africa 4
L The Intelligence Cell 4
W RLC 24

Latest Threads