Commonwealth Recruiting Tap Turned On Again

Which they would of known about prior to joining. So there is 2 ways around this.
1. Wear correct clothing during exercise, do what you are told (also not make noises when told) and get promoted. You then earn enough like every other person who moves over here and family come over. This may mean going past the 5 year point of course!
2. Wear incorrect clothing and ensure you admin is up your arse during exercise, complain and pull The Card when told to do something and never get promoted. You then seem to feel better after 1700hrs and take your 2nd job on the doors somewhere and hit the button at the 4 year point.

Which they would of known about prior to joining. So there is 2 ways around this.
1. Wear correct clothing during exercise, do what you are told (also not make noises when told) and get promoted. You then earn enough like every other person who moves over here and family come over. This may mean going past the 5 year point of course!
2. Wear incorrect clothing and ensure you admin is up your arse during exercise, complain and pull The Card when told to do something and never get promoted. You then seem to feel better after 1700hrs and take your 2nd job on the doors somewhere and hit the button at the 4 year point.
Bit wordy, how about keep your trousers on until you can afford not to!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit wordy, how about keep your trousers on until you can afford not to!
This is the problem:

They should have been advised about the earnings threshold before or during the enlistment process.

The MoD are trying to get the situation rectified but are facing the brick wall that is the Home Office. Tribunals are in progress, a Jamaican Sapper has just won his right to bring his family across. This is yet another needless waste of money and the result of a HO Culture of suspicion and terrified of Daily Mail Headlines about immigration (though in the case I can see the Mail kicking up a stink in defence of these volunteers.

Last edited:
This is the problem:

They should have been advised about the earnings threshold before or during the enlistment process.

The MoD are trying to get the situation rectified but are facing the brick wall that is the Home Office. Tribunals are in progress, a Jamaican Sapper has just won his right to bring his family across. This is yet another needless waste of money and the result of a HO Culture of suspicion and terrified of Daily Mail Headlines about immigration (though in the case I can see the Mail kicking up a stink in defence of these volunteers.
Are they not capable of reading English? Personally if I thought about taking my family abroad for a new life I'd be doing a bit of research first. I doubt very much that the rules have been hidden from anyone. And right now the HO might be fixed by something more important than the odd individual that didn't read the regulations prior to joining. The Gurhas seem to have a good appreciation of the rules.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are they not capable of reading English? Personally if I thought about taking my family abroad for a new life I'd be doing a bit of research first. I doubt very much that the rules have been hidden from anyone. And right now the HO might be fixed by something more important than the odd individual that didn't read the regulations prior to joining. The Gurhas seem to have a good appreciation of the rules.
They've only just made it clear on their website. Gurkhas that sign up are mainly singlies, and there is a well trodden path they take, where most of the necessary visa work is done on their behalf.

They've only just made it clear on their website. Gurkhas that sign up are mainly singlies, and there is a well trodden path they take, where most of the necessary visa work is done on their behalf.
I still have nil sympathy, there are thousands of low paid workers sending money home, why should a soldier get a leg up over a nurse?
I have significantly less sympathy with the members of the public moaning about it. There shouldn't be any foreigners in low paid jobs because the Brits should be in them, not spunging from the state.

Twitter is going the usual "travesty, tories fault, brexit" etc etc. But hang on, lets look at this from a welfare point of view. Someone correctly or not deemed it that £xxxxx is the cost that can support father+mother+child(ren). Otherwise if going by all the moaners, a soldier on £18,000 should be able to bring into the country his wife and possibly 3 children and happily support them. Now not saying that doesn't happen in our feckless Jeremy Kyle population world now, but God forbid someone in the Home Office is looking out for both the parents and our strained benefit system?!?!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Twitter is going the usual "travesty, tories fault, brexit" etc etc. But hang on, lets look at this from a welfare point of view. Someone correctly or not deemed it that £xxxxx is the cost that can support father+mother+child(ren). Otherwise if going by all the moaners, a soldier on £18,000 should be able to bring into the country his wife and possibly 3 children and happily support them. Now not saying that doesn't happen in our feckless Jeremy Kyle population world now, but God forbid someone in the Home Office is looking out for both the parents and our strained benefit system?!?!
The issue is not that these financial thresholds exists but rather newly recruited Commonwealth Troops were not made aware of the immigration requirements, and then finding themselves locked into 4 year contracts and then discovering that they couldn't bring their families. Had they known in advance then they would have been less likely to sign up, and we wouldn't be having this news story or the now inevitable and costly tribunals to rectify the problem.

The issue is not that these financial thresholds exists but rather newly recruited Commonwealth Troops were not made aware of the immigration requirements, and then finding themselves locked into 4 year contracts and then discovering that they couldn't bring their families. Had they known in advance then they would have been less likely to sign up, and we wouldn't be having this news story or the now inevitable and costly tribunals to rectify the problem.
Speak to any soldier fm the WIndies, there's no shortage of volunteers. If you want a place, you pay the price. Do they get any other bonuses for coming from there? Extended leave every few years rings a bell, but it's not something Ive looked into.

I still have nil sympathy, there are thousands of low paid workers sending money home, why should a soldier get a leg up over a nurse?
I have significantly less sympathy with the members of the public moaning about it. There shouldn't be any foreigners in low paid jobs because the Brits should be in them, not spunging from the state.
Precisely - why should soldiers be treated as a special case?

Ignorance, genuine or not, is not an excuse.
Had they known in advance then they would have been less likely to sign up,
Pure speculation and, inevitably, untrue. The numbers applying indicate beyond any doubt that this would have made little or no difference

Alternatively, if that's their argument, they could always apply for an early discharge from the Army on compassionate grounds. Somehow I doubt that many will.

Yep because recruiting of Commonwealth soldiers just started last week and those that have joined never talked to those that had previously. If you have served in a Unit heavy with Commonwealth soldiers you will know that those that are from say Ghana know guys that are thinking of joining and if this was such a big issue it would of been known about by those prior to signing on the dotted line. What you will also find out is they want to bring their families out to the UK 20 seconds after the Inspecting Officer has just passed them off the square in phase 1 training. Whilst you may not think its fair this person decided to join the Army, to be trusted to hold a rifle and have a few kids......in that case then he/she should be switched on enough to click a mouse and Google "immigration requirement for spouse and children"!!!

... Gurkhas that sign up are mainly singlies, and there is a well trodden path they take, where most of the necessary visa work is done on their behalf.
That's got nothing to do with it as it's done once eligible, not prior to joining.

They know the immigration requirements for wives and children before joining because they either asked, checked, or were told by those they knew. Commonwealth applicants are no different.