Commonwealth Recruiting Tap Turned On Again

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
According to the BBC, restrictions on Commonwealth recruits joining the UK armed services are to be lifted. In future, recruits will not have to show five years' residence in the UK before being able to enlist.

Army recruits don't need to live in Britain

So, a UK population of anywhere (because nobody knows) between 65 and 85 million, and yet we can't a few thousand native Brits per year to join up?

Perhaps we need to go back to the days of offering able-bodied young offenders the choice of prison or the army...

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
So, a UK population of anywhere (because nobody knows) between 65 and 85 million, and yet we can't a few thousand native Brits per year to join up?

Perhaps we need to go back to the days of offering able-bodied young offenders the choice of prison or the army...
Why should the Army be saddled with young offenders?

ugly

LE
Oddly enough those I met in my time were generally good eggs put right by the system. The petty thievery and fighting that took place usually seemed to be unconnected with these lads as they understood the consequences.

Crapita have proven to be a thoroughly excellent dissuasion to joining the armed forces.

According to the drugs policy thread, because most recruits are anyway?!

In all seriousness, recruiting offenders actually seems to have worked well in the past - with mutually beneficial outcomes. Look how many autobiographies by decorated soldiers start off with memories of borstal or criminal behaviour as a youth.

We have no empire to garrison. So we don't need these volunteers, or should I say mercenaries. If we can't recruit enough british people to serve, then the forces should be adjusted according to what we can recruit and the recruitment policy adjusted to make it easier to join and more rewards to retain staff longer.

Not that anyone at the top takes notice of anything but meeting an immediate target.

ugly

LE

It was the case in Scotland for a long time, the failure to recruit bit!

Reduced the pay?
Cut the pension package?
Reduced T&Cs?
Offer not competitive with other careers in the UK?

I've got a great idea, recruit folk from outside the UK who perceive that the T&C are better than what they could have in their own country.

It's no different from outsourcing your Training Shoe manufacturing to Vietnam because it's cheaper.

Heaven forbid we pay a wage and pension that's attractive enough to capture home grown talent to defend our democracy and way of life.

I've been recently contacted by two former officers from NZ (1 x RNZAF and 1 x RNZN). Both are hugely experienced pilots and QFIs (qualified flying instructors). Both have wanted to join the RAF; both have faced months waiting for replies to emails and being cuffed off with the 'residency requirement', which was only ever discretionary.

Given the appallingly slow time, both have sought careers elsewhere. Oh, and the RAF is only short of about 700 aircrew...

I was a F&C recruit in 1990 and left about 5 years ago. I served the Crown and certainly was no mercenary. Perhaps that epithet can be applied to the Gurkhas?

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A close relative of mine, in his youth, turned up once too many times in the Saturday morning court with the usual signs of a 'kinetic' evening out. It was suggested that he join the army. 23 years and an LS & GC medal later...

We could debate endlessly the role/absence of discipline in society.

We could also look - again - at the social security system. I'm 50 next year, and when I joined up the military was seen as a far better economic alternative to the dole. In generations previous, it was even starker - the military was a route to housing, clothes and three square(ish) meals a day.

@ugly has already highlighted the Fijian - sorry, Scottish - battalions; incentives should also perhaps be disincentives. By that, I mean that if you make it too comfortable for people to sit on the dole then they will.

Maybe not a popular observation, particularly among the Left-leaning, but true nevertheless.

The article that I read on this subject said that India was included in this new initiative. That should solve any shortage of engineers.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
May be we could look at bringing back the Czechslovakian Armd Bde, Polish Armd Div, Polish Para Bde plus some of these? Caption Polish ATS 1943
It's simples really - there are over 1 Million Polish citizens in the UK right now.

Quite few of the younger ones ,although born in Poland, have grown up here and gone through the British education system (Gawd 'elp 'em).

At present this group are , at best, uncertain what will happen after April 2019.

Here's the deal: sign on for a five year contract with the Armed Forces in return for a UK passport on completion.

The French have been doing this for at least fifty years as @Condottiere and others will confirm.