Commonwealth Games: anyone going?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Sep 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or should that be was going?

"Preparations for the Oct 3-14 Games are descending into farce with construction work still going on, while police have now reported the collapse of a pedestrian bridge leading to one of the main entrances to the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium."

"Team leaders from England, Scotland, Wales, New Zealand, Australia and Canada have all expressed "grave concerns" over the housing for the 6,500 team members and said some was "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

Conditions in the athletes' village prompted Scottish officials to describe their team's accommodation as "unsafe and unfit for human habitation."

Commonwealth Games 2010: stadium foot bridge collapse injures 19 - Telegraph

Not to mention the small matter of the athlete's village backing on to a flood plain filled with stagnent water and worse than normal outbreaks of Dengue Fever.......

However, this is what is currently most likely to kill off the whole corrupt and rotten fiasco:

"The organisers of the Commonwealth Games are yet to obtain a terror insurance cover for the 9,000 athletes, Games staff and officials for the sporting event which is barely a fortnight away.

Insurance broker Trinity Group, which has to arrange for insurance cover of the CWG, said that the reinsurer Lloyd's Syndicate yesterday withdrew from covering any losses arising out of a terror attack during the Games.

"The reinsurer withdrew the terror cover to the Games. Right now there is no event-cancellation cover due to natural calamity, as we will have to renegotiate terms with the reinsurer to work out a new policy,"

Read more: CWG yet to get terror cover for athletes, officials - The Times of India CWG yet to get terror cover for athletes, officials - The Times of India
  2. Why is anyone suprised ? Anyone that has ever called a technical support helpline could have seen this happening.

I recall, whilst working with Indian outsource IT workers that they were absolute shite and would always give you the "Yes, Yes Yes" approach to any query on standards or progress, whilst the project was going down the gurgler.

When working with people from this part of the world, you have to be all over them and frequently visit them unannounced - looks like very poor programme management from the Commonwealth Games organisers.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you are going, mind and pack your running shoes as you may well just get picked to represent your Country :)
  4. Apparently the Heid of the Scots team is well chuffed that the Indians have made the Athlete's Village on a par with Raploch,Wester Hailes,Ardler or Tillydrone.

Oor loons and quines will feel right at hame.
  5. I heard a rumour that the project was managed by the Indian arm of MHS.
  6. I didn't see this one comming!
    Check out the photos of the 5 star facilities!

Games village exposed |

The trouble with happy clapper outfits like the Commonwealth, UN & EU is that they have been hijacked by politically correct brigade and therefore, have to treat everyone as equals when quite clearly they are not.
    Where will the next Commonwealth games be? Swaziland? Because they are just as equal as the UK!
  7. :):)Spotted this in the linked article above:

Currie and officials from other competing countries met Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit and 40 administrators yesterday.

Well, that may explain it? :)
  8. Well, latest headlines have it that the home teams are arriving in Delhi and the Indian Army has been brought in to put things right. A spokesman for the English team said,"We were told it would be 5 star, but it isn't. It's perfectly reasonable 3 star and athletes are fine with that".
  9. Some friends who are competing arrived at the weekend, and seem happy with their accommodation. Having said that, I have no doubt that team management will have warned them of the perils of saying anything critical on a social networking site.

...the real irony is that just before the Melbourne games in 2006, a group from the Indian media were standing just outside the Athletes' Village (media aren't typically allowed inside) trying to interview athletes, because they'd heard stories that the Village wasn't up to scratch. Needless to say, the 2006 village was perfectly adequate, and immaculately clean.
  10. Gravelbelly is quite right about the Melbourne athletes village - it was however amusing that they put the home team in the refurbished asylum!
    I do it standing up Gravelbelly and although I qualified for three events I made my mind up 18 months ago that it wasn't worth the light! Seems I was right.
  11. Mrs G and I first met at an event in India fifteen years ago. We weren't that impressed by their organisational skills then, watched as nearly every other member of our team (and fair few of the others) went down with various illnesses, and agreed that we wouldn't be that upset to miss this one :)

The Indian athletes were nearly all decent blokes and women, but they didn't deserve the hierarchy they had IMHO...
  12. Now seeing as the whole thing is paid for by sports councils across the country (tax payers money) and they get to see the country free of charge, they would say that, but would they say the same thing if they went on a trip from their own pocket and got a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star one?? I think not.
  13. Given that the army has been called in to sort things out, can the denizens of the Arrse D.I.Y forum be on standby for when you blokes host the olympics? They could be just the chaps should a rather large shed be required.