Commonwealth Games: anyone going?

Or should that be was going?

"Preparations for the Oct 3-14 Games are descending into farce with construction work still going on, while police have now reported the collapse of a pedestrian bridge leading to one of the main entrances to the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium."

"Team leaders from England, Scotland, Wales, New Zealand, Australia and Canada have all expressed "grave concerns" over the housing for the 6,500 team members and said some was "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

Conditions in the athletes' village prompted Scottish officials to describe their team's accommodation as "unsafe and unfit for human habitation."

Commonwealth Games 2010: stadium foot bridge collapse injures 19 - Telegraph

Not to mention the small matter of the athlete's village backing on to a flood plain filled with stagnent water and worse than normal outbreaks of Dengue Fever.......

However, this is what is currently most likely to kill off the whole corrupt and rotten fiasco:

"The organisers of the Commonwealth Games are yet to obtain a terror insurance cover for the 9,000 athletes, Games staff and officials for the sporting event which is barely a fortnight away.

Insurance broker Trinity Group, which has to arrange for insurance cover of the CWG, said that the reinsurer Lloyd's Syndicate yesterday withdrew from covering any losses arising out of a terror attack during the Games.

"The reinsurer withdrew the terror cover to the Games. Right now there is no event-cancellation cover due to natural calamity, as we will have to renegotiate terms with the reinsurer to work out a new policy,"

Read more: CWG yet to get terror cover for athletes, officials - The Times of India CWG yet to get terror cover for athletes, officials - The Times of India

Why is anyone suprised ? Anyone that has ever called a technical support helpline could have seen this happening.

I recall, whilst working with Indian outsource IT workers that they were absolute shite and would always give you the "Yes, Yes Yes" approach to any query on standards or progress, whilst the project was going down the gurgler.

When working with people from this part of the world, you have to be all over them and frequently visit them unannounced - looks like very poor programme management from the Commonwealth Games organisers.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you are going, mind and pack your running shoes as you may well just get picked to represent your Country :)

Apparently the Heid of the Scots team is well chuffed that the Indians have made the Athlete's Village on a par with Raploch,Wester Hailes,Ardler or Tillydrone.

Oor loons and quines will feel right at hame.

I didn't see this one comming!
Check out the photos of the 5 star facilities!

Games village exposed | Stuff.co.nz

The trouble with happy clapper outfits like the Commonwealth, UN & EU is that they have been hijacked by politically correct brigade and therefore, have to treat everyone as equals when quite clearly they are not.
Where will the next Commonwealth games be? Swaziland? Because they are just as equal as the UK!

:):)Spotted this in the linked article above:

Currie and officials from other competing countries met Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit and 40 administrators yesterday.

Well, that may explain it? :)

Well, latest headlines have it that the home teams are arriving in Delhi and the Indian Army has been brought in to put things right. A spokesman for the English team said,"We were told it would be 5 star, but it isn't. It's perfectly reasonable 3 star and athletes are fine with that".

Some friends who are competing arrived at the weekend, and seem happy with their accommodation. Having said that, I have no doubt that team management will have warned them of the perils of saying anything critical on a social networking site.

...the real irony is that just before the Melbourne games in 2006, a group from the Indian media were standing just outside the Athletes' Village (media aren't typically allowed inside) trying to interview athletes, because they'd heard stories that the Village wasn't up to scratch. Needless to say, the 2006 village was perfectly adequate, and immaculately clean.

Gravelbelly is quite right about the Melbourne athletes village - it was however amusing that they put the home team in the refurbished asylum!
I do it standing up Gravelbelly and although I qualified for three events I made my mind up 18 months ago that it wasn't worth the light! Seems I was right.

...although I qualified for three events I made my mind up 18 months ago that it wasn't worth the light! Seems I was right.
Mrs G and I first met at an event in India fifteen years ago. We weren't that impressed by their organisational skills then, watched as nearly every other member of our team (and fair few of the others) went down with various illnesses, and agreed that we wouldn't be that upset to miss this one :)

The Indian athletes were nearly all decent blokes and women, but they didn't deserve the hierarchy they had IMHO...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, latest headlines have it that the home teams are arriving in Delhi and the Indian Army has been brought in to put things right. A spokesman for the English team said,"We were told it would be 5 star, but it isn't. It's perfectly reasonable 3 star and athletes are fine with that".
Now seeing as the whole thing is paid for by sports councils across the country (tax payers money) and they get to see the country free of charge, they would say that, but would they say the same thing if they went on a trip from their own pocket and got a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star one?? I think not.

Given that the army has been called in to sort things out, can the denizens of the Arrse D.I.Y forum be on standby for when you blokes host the olympics? They could be just the chaps should a rather large shed be required.

Now seeing as the whole thing is paid for by sports councils across the country (tax payers money) and they get to see the country free of charge, they would say that, but would they say the same thing if they went on a trip from their own pocket and got a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star one?? I think not.
Errrr... wrong. For instance, the Scottish team is sponsored by Emirates and Clydesdale Bank, amongst others; sending the team to Delhi is not "paid for by taxpayers" at all. If you'd seen the Ali G getup that England wore in 2002 as a parade uniform, you'd have realised that Puma were sponsoring them (gold-trimmed shell suits as a national dress, sheer class, can't wait to see this year's effort :) )

Where "sports councils" come in is helping with individual and team athlete preparations; and it's small but useful stuff for the most part, but vital none the less - free access to training facilities, for instance, or access to physiotherapy. It doesn't cover all the costs, but it does make them affordable. Having spent years filling in spreadsheets for my governing body about how much I spent, I can assure you that even when I did get funding, it covered at most half of what I spent. As an example, I took a month's unpaid leave to attend the Games in Melbourne. The largest annual lottery grant I ever received was £3k or so; the least I ever spent in a year was £7k or so. Do that for a decade.

As for "see the country", dream on. You arrive, you start training, you might get a day or two off towards the end, but most likely you'll be helping out your squad mates with fetch and carry. If you've been working for a few years to get ready for an event, you don't risk your big day by going out on the p1ss, or heading off solo into a country where the food and wildlife can trash your chances. Apart from the swimmers, the b*stards, they're all done by day six, their accommodation is always separate so their parties don't disturb the rest of us. Gits. [Note to journos. That is called exaggeration. I'm just bitter that my last event was always the day before the closing ceremony.]

I've been to a few foreign countries with a team, but I didn't get to do much sightseeing. As for the Manchester Games in 2002, yeehah, get to sightsee around Bisley (or rather, get to push a pram around Bisley Camp; Mrs.G got selected to compete too, and firstborn was three months old at the time. The team management wouldn't put us up in the satellite village [aka Guildford University student halls with a half-hour each-way journey on a blow-me-up bus, we were heartbroken], so I am eternally grateful to the ATSC, Hazel, and Ken RIP)

I think Kuala Lumpur in 98 was the best accommodation for me - our events were shunted off to Langkawi while everyone else stayed in KL, so we were put up in a "satellite village" (5-star hotel in Langkawi town), while the chef was bitching about having to prepare the officially approved athletes menu. Everyone else was in perfectly clean and respectable but rather bare tower blocks, with the central catering run by Malaysian airlines. The teams were gated to the village for the last two days, because the Malaysians were rioting down town (very politely and neatly, I have no doubt).

Nope, my first senior event was the 1995 Commonwealth Championships in Delhi. The people at the coalface (range staff, liaison types) were helpful without exception. The "organisers" seemed far more interested in their status. It took them so long to score our match that the final had to be held the next day (unheard of). The only consolation is that the range complex got rebuilt in time for a test event late last year; perhaps having the ISSF drop Delhi from last year's World Cup series gave them the kick in the arrse that the NRA of India needed.

Given that the army has been called in to sort things out, can the denizens of the Arrse D.I.Y forum be on standby for when you blokes host the olympics? They could be just the chaps should a rather large shed be required.
You might want to note that the Shooting Events Manager for the 2012 Games is, in fact, a serving soldier - nice bloke, too. He was England shooting team manager for a couple of Commonwealth Games; I'm biased, he shoots smallbore TR :)

If you go back to the 1986 Games in Edinburgh, there were some funding problems (understatement - Robert Maxwell can burn, he certainly couldn't float). I remember talking to an A&SH officer a few years later - he'd been told at nearly zero notice that he was to help at the swimming venue. Described it as injecting some order into the chaos, or was it "coordination".

The trouble with happy clapper outfits like the Commonwealth, UN & EU is that they have been hijacked by politically correct brigade and therefore, have to treat everyone as equals when quite clearly they are not.
Where will the next Commonwealth games be? Swaziland? Because they are just as equal as the UK!
Careful Monty, it makes you sound a bit BNP. The 1998 Games in Kuala Lumpur were the first to be held outside Oz/UK/Canada/NZ, and were excellent. Fantastic facilities, incredible people, really well thought out and well organised.

The 2014 Games came down to a choice between Glasgow and Abuja (Nigeria, for the geographically challenged). Glasgow won. So much for your "hijacked by PC Brigade" conspiracy theories.

2010 looks badly organised. So what - remember the 1986 Games? Money ran out before it started? Complete funding fiasco? Which country held that one, then.... oh.

Well, I watched the opening ceremony this afternoon, in between some other stuff, and I have to say I enjoyed it. Despite the initial trouble, they seem to have pulled it off.

Just goes to show what you can do when you put the army in charge. :-D

Considering the potential for a FUBAR, I agree; it appeared to go very smoothly. I very nearly enjoyed it. And why exactly was HRH Prince Edward, present? I'm sure we'll be told it was a valuable fact finding mission in support of the British Trade Council. Or something.