Commonwealth Games 2022

After clicking over and seeing lawn bowls was on, I thought I was up the local country club watching the old Brit expats cling on to their seat in God's waiting room. Can't get much worse, thinks I.

Then they've just announced that video gaming will be a recognised "sport" at the next games.

Best I start practising my tiddlywinks strategy.

After clicking over and seeing lawn bowls was on, I thought I was up the local country club watching the old Brit expats cling on to their seat in God's waiting room. Can't get much worse, thinks I.

Then they've just announced that video gaming will be a recognised "sport" at the next games.

Lawn bowls has been part of the Commonwealth/Empire Games since the very first one in 1930. I don’t play, and like you, have the impression that it’s an old folk’s passtime, but the Ladies Pairs final this morning showed a very high level of skill and accuracy.

Lawn bowls has been part of the Commonwealth/Empire Games since the very first one in 1930. I don’t play, and like you, have the impression that it’s an old folk’s passtime, but the Ladies Pairs final this morning showed a very high level of skill and accuracy.
I've been following the bowls and I'm seriously thinking about giving it a go.

Video Gaming a Sport?

That will be the death nell for sport as we know it.

@Oops did one of the commentators really say c*nt while commenting on a dropped catch at the Commonwealth games cricket semi final today? Or were you having a laugh.

Blogg

LE
Video Gaming a Sport?

That will be the death nell for sport as we know it.

It's huge. Youngest son in a Clan and they compete in Leagues, Tournaments etc and it is taken very seriously.

It's huge. Youngest son in a Clan and they compete in Leagues, Tournaments etc and it is taken very seriously.

There are premier league football clubs these days who sign up gamers of FIFA etc.

I'm not denying it isn't huge. I'm just saying anything that only requires the use of two thumbs whilst sitting down is not a sport.

Bowls has that image, at our indoor vlub we currently have 2 under 23 county players and an u19 ladies international.

It is a more difficult sport than people think and actually a laugh and has a good social side.

I've been following the bowls and I'm seriously thinking about giving it a go.
The outdoor season is just coming to a close. The indoor season starts in Sept and runs to April. Most clubs will have woods and gear for you to start with, and we run social drives where people of varying abilities are drawn into teams.

Look at the England Indoor Bowls Association for clubs near you

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bowls has that image, at our indoor vlub we currently have 2 under 23 county players and an u19 ladies international.

It is a more difficult sport than people think and actually a laugh and has a good social side.
Our local club has the cheapest booze, the biggest collection of pisscats, and - surprise - the biggest bunch of racists and misogynists going.
1994 never happened for tyhem.
Membership? 100% white.

Our local club has the cheapest booze, the biggest collection of pisscats, and - surprise - the biggest bunch of racists and misogynists going.
1994 never happened for tyhem.
Membership? 100% white.
We have a mix of membership, not saying there isn't some idiots but bowls is changing. It has to.

@Oops did one of the commentators really say c*nt while commenting on a dropped catch at the Commonwealth games cricket semi final today? Or were you having a laugh.
Nope
Gen.

I'll find the clip on BBC Sounds later shouldn't be too hard, it was moments after young (17yo) Alice Capsey dropped a dolly of Catherine Brunt.
Nobody drops it on purpose.
Around the 16th over.

Brunt (hugely experienced and tbf bloody good cricketer) then really lost her sh*t.

Her Captain (and Wife) Nat Scriver stood at mid off couldn't calm her down (that got Agnew going!) but then MOST UNPROFESSIONALLY she had a pop at 17yr old Capsey in the middle of the pitch.

UNFORGIVABLE.
Team morale turned to sh*t immediately!

The ironic thing being England could still achieve a result till the final ball of the match( they chased 160odd) so the last couple of expensive overs bowled
LOST EM THE CHANCE OF A GOLD

Maybe the slip in commentary wasn't as Freudian after all!

Twunt.

Absolutely.
The myth of 'old man marbles' has to change.
However, when prospective new bowlers are given the cold shoulder by a bunch of old farts...and racialo slurs are bandied about.
Absolutely, it is changing. Different formats, doing away with the stuffy ties, blazers etc. Ladies always responsible for teas.

Some of the older members were aghast when I started doing the tea and cakes at rollups.

Thing is it is a cracking sport, it is not easy by any means. Ok it isn't high intensity but you will walk a couple of miles in a game, it promotes hand eye co ordination.

I love it, I play 5-6 days a week and wish I had taken it up 10 years ago

Nope
Gen.

I'll find the clip on BBC Sounds later shouldn't be too hard, it was moments after young (17yo) Alice Capsey dropped a dolly of Catherine Brunt.
Around the 16th over.

Brunt (hugely experienced and tbf bloody good cricketer) then really lost her sh*t.

Her Captain (and Wife) Nat Scriver stood at mid off couldn't calm her down (that got Agnew going!) but then MOST UNPROFESSIONALLY she had a pop at 17yr old Capsey in the middle of the pitch.

UNFORGIVABLE.

The ironic thing being England could still achieve a result till the final ball of the match( they chased 160odd) so the last couple of expensive overs bowled

Twunt.
Shame I missed that, I must have switched over to watch some paint drying on another channel.

ETA: Regretting it now though.

Shame I missed that, I must have switched over to watch some paint drying on another channel.

ETA: Regretting it now though.
Our Antipodean Cousins are playing as we speak, but they're boring (we live in hope)

#Breaking news#
Brunt the Cn*t has been reprimanded and fined half her fee for being a Tw*t by the ICC.
( Might have got the exact wording wrong)

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nope
Gen.

Around the 16th over.

UNFORGIVABLE.

Twunt.
Learning from the male team?